Smart TV help

Allan Cameron

shaefurr

Maybe @@shaefurr might like to help with design?

Love to help, but im already working on something for Red and I havnt even had the energy to work on that lately.

chessdragon136

Love to help, but im already working on something for Red and I havnt even had the energy to work on that lately.

Well you're always welcome to when you can -> Design isn't my strong suit...

(Plus I should really make sure it works first before I ask for time from others!) 

@@Starkadius @Luke Thanks

swhitmore

Looking great! Well done!

My initial thought is that I don't think you need the MB3 logo on each page. You might also want to add a little padding on the borders so that everything isn't right up against the edge of the screen. Is the last screen the episode details? If it is, I'd add the episode title and maybe some basic info like run time, watched status etc.

Edited by swhitmore

chessdragon136

Looking great! Well done!

My initial thought is that I don't think you need the MB3 logo on each page. You might also want to add a little padding on the borders so that everything isn't right up against the edge of the screen. Is the last screen the episode details? If it is, I'd add the episode title and maybe some basic info like run time, watched status etc.

I have tried the design without the logo but I couldn't make it look right, and I think the green in the logo is a nice offset with the other colours.. 

Padding does need some work, the 12 items on a page just fits as it is, so I can't do much about that, but the other elements all need moving about / tidying up in general. CSS coding is a weak point for me and I'm surprised I have got this far! (although whoever looks at my css file will have a heart attack!)

And yes, the last page is the episode page, I knocked that one out in about 1.5 hours last night and realised I forgot to put the title on! The other information will come in time, but I struggled to find a layout that works..

Samsung apps run at a fixed resolution of 960 x 540 (Although later tv's support 1280x720 - perhaps I can try change it to that down the line) Link

swhitmore

Ah ok. I haven't had a chance to load up the screens on the TV to really get a good idea, but I'll try if I have time tomorrow. Maybe test with a slightly smaller logo. I think it's a bit too dominating.

i would suggest basing the design off of another one of our apps. i would use the web client for coding samples but it's not really designed for 10ft usage. I would look at 7's 8.1 app, our roku app, or MBT.

chessdragon136

i would suggest basing the design off of another one of our apps. i would use the web client for coding samples but it's not really designed for 10ft usage. I would look at 7's 8.1 app, our roku app, or MBT.

Well the current design is a loose interpretation of the web design - just adapted to be remote control friendly, that's the biggest limitation...

As for the 10ft screen bit, the problem with the Samsung apps is that they are all a pre-set size to 960 x 540 and then scaled up dependant on tv size.. Its a tiny resolution and is also why everything looks soo damn big when you use these apps (Look at the iPlayer app, Plex, Netflix... they are all "bulky" designs and that's a limitation of the SDK) :(

For now the design is functional and nice enough for initial release when that happens, but I'll welcome people who can design to request the CSS HTML code  from me and to make their own thing / submit some design artwork ideas! 

@@Luke at some point I need some help with video transcoding and ensuring what I'm doing is right - Currently if i try transcode anything the player doesn't play anything and all I can do at the moment is to set strict (My content is not network shared so I don't trust direct play) Perhaps some usage examples may help as I can't tell if its me making a mistake with the MB3 API or if its a problem with the Samsung Player in which I'll need to investigate..

What formats does the samsung support?

If you give me a link (save me a little time). I will give you all the help you need with transcoding.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

What formats does the samsung support?

If you give me a link (save me a little time). I will give you all the help you need with transcoding.

Thank you! 

As for a link, this is where the problem starts, Samsung are pretty useless and the closest thing they publish is this  This

http://developer.samsung.com/devices/tv-specs -- that first link is for a specific TV in the US - Samsung don't seem to publish this info easily (Or I haven't found it!) I was actually tempted to release an alpha out to a few people to get an idea as to which file formats it will play! I know it supports popular avi mp4 mkv encodes (and no I don't know which h264 levels / bitrates they are off the top of my head, Sorry) 

I also have the problem that unlike all the other MB3 clients that I know Samsung playback may vary based on which TV model it is being played on - So have no idea how to handle that (Currently found no means in the API to determine model number and then to try keep a track of which ones play what would be near impossible) This it my main hurdle or do I just accept that it plays XX formats and transcodes the rest

Are you happy to install the Samsung SDK for testing? If so I am happy to send the code to you once I have finished converting XML to Json (Don't ask!)

Sure I wont get to look at it for a few hours yet but I will have a peek  when I get back home.

It looks like that particular tv supports hls which will make it easy (-; (well easier if they all support it )

@@Luke Can we get chessdragon136 into the dev area as there is loads of good info in there already.

chessdragon136

Sure I wont get to look at it for a few hours yet but I will have a peek  when I get back home.

It looks like that particular tv supports hls which will make it easy (-; (well easier if they all support it )

@@Luke Can we get chessdragon136 into the dev area as there is loads of good info in there already.

No worries, I've just realised your location, I'm UK based so I'm burning the night oil again at the expense of my relationship lol!

But yeah most tv's are very well supported, mine is a 2011 model (earliest my app can support anyway) and that plays most things I throw at it.. Once i have the code re-write done I'll spend an hour playing on the TV and generate a list of what items play and what doesn't - hopefully that will help us.

Great effort @chessdragon, I already called in this post for donations; that may help in getting a latest set; so you're able to consider old and new smart TVs when working on Samsung client.

Dear Members,

If you're interested in this client as I much do; let's donate for this effort.

DaN

Cool ok for starters lets get just basic streaming working (you will have to write some logic to test what the streams are and see if it needs full transcoding or just re-containing but we can do that later first off I recommend that we go with a ts stream

More details of streaming can be found in the swagger docs (enable the dev tools and look at view api doc from the right click menu of the server tray icon)

But for now try.

http://[0]/mediabrowser/Videos/{1}/stream.Ts?audioCodec=Aac&VideoBitRate={2}&VideoCodec=H264&AudioBitRate={3}&audiochannels=2

where

1= ip and port of mb server

2 = item id

3= bitrate video  in bytes so 1.5 mb/s is expressed as 1500000

4= bitrate audio in bytes so 128 kb/s is expressed as 128000

• Like 2

chessdragon136

Hi All,

I haven't posted here in a week, so thought I'd just say that I am still working on it, but its going to take some time. 

I'll post screens when something visible changes, but currently I've been trying to get it functional on newer Samsung equipment and just tidying up a lot of code before i make another major push and create more pages.. 

I am still interested in any HTML designs as long as they work with remote and are scaled to 960x540. It looks ok as is, but I really want some custom graphics made by a professional to give it that edge. If anyone is interested PM me and feel free to ask any questions

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

Rowlett

Glad you're still working on it this is an exciting client that's potentially going to be release because it opens up even more abilities to access your MB so easily - so many of my family/friends have smart TV n this way cud watch it without the need to bring anything! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to share this with you, yesterday I tested with Chessdragon 3D movie playback; and the test results were very positive; when that makes its way finally to Samsung TV; that is supposed to be the first MB3 client to play 3D contents.

Thanks Chessdragon :) , I just shared the concern with you yesterday morning, and by evening we were able to get it work, I was so happy :) to help you by testing the client and ready to participate whenever needed ;).

DaN

• Like 2

Tikuf
Samsung TV; that is supposed to be the first MB3 client to play 3D contents.

Depends what you mean if you mean full 3d bluray discs then yes it will be but hsbs etc play very well on my android based smart tv :)

I did knew that android client is able to play 3D, or do you mean your TV converted the SBS image to 3D?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

Tikuf

All the clients are capable of receiving hsbs even transcoded hsbs some tv's (like mine). I can switch on 3d and get a 3d picture.