Smart TV help

Allan Cameron

a prospective developer could use that to build live tv into a samsung smart tv app.

Wow - live TV on a TV... who'd a thunk it ;)

I like the idea, you don't have access to all channels in one place, provided you just navigate through epg page and select what's played now to watch.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

I like the idea, you can access to all channels in one place, provided you just navigate through epg page and select what's played now to watch.

I know there are potential benefits.  It just sounded really funny and it reminded me of an old satirical ad by "The Onion" promoting how, for just $2,000 or so, you could build a special computer that would allow you to watch TV on a 15" screen.   :D

:D we all think the same way, modding a 4cyl civic to give power of accord when the money doesn't justify the tag difference

crashkelly

can @@crashkelly help?

maybe do one each with @@Lee?

Sorry for coming late to the party on this, but I am still licking my wounds from a major system failure and have a very limited MB setup running at the moment. Will be back in the game very soon *knock on wood*

cheers

No worries just be persistent. Sometimes you strike out but persistence pays off. Thats how we got the team we have now

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

Updates from SamsungDForums

52da31d1694d2_folder.jpg

No responses, any ideas to update the post?

DaN

Can you provide a link please? I'm being lazy today ;)

Cheesegeezer
Ok, dont take this personally, but i would change your title to be something more dev orientated. Something like "Samsung TV devs - become part of the fastest growing media service"

Your opening paragraph should be dev orientated and provide links to github, swagger and our forums, i'd also explain there is a lot of help at hand to get them started, also explain that the api is written for the server, they just need to tap into it.. Then go into explaining about MB.

Cheers

Edited by Cheesegeezer

HI,

Nothing is personal, I'm very open minded; in fact I had some inputs from Luke when posted that. I would create another post targeting the developers and referring to the original post; let me arrange for short paragraph and I will share it with you.

DaN

• Like 1

Thought to share this, if someone will find him self interested in developing for Samsung Smart TV :)

The Samsung SMART TV team is pleased to release the Smart TV SDK 5.0. 

This SDK provides developers with the tools they need to develop applications for the 2014 Smart TV Platform. 

The toolset includes an Eclipse-based application editor with a  Visual Editor, debugger, Pretest Tool and Smart TV Emulator for the 2014 TV platform. 

■ Main Features

- 2014 WebEngine : Initial support for upgraded WebKit and application framework.

Native Client (PNaCl) : Create fast and powerful application using C/C++ with support for Google’s Portable Native Client (PNaCl) feature. PNaCl applications can be developed in the IDE and then executed in the Smart TV 

MultiScreen : APIs for Multiscreen functionality are now supported in the Emulator. 

With this API, developers can create applications that use not only the TV screen, but also mobile devices. 

- SmartHome : Initial support for APIs for home appliance convergence.

- Closed Caption : CC support has been added to comply with FCC regulations.

- Caph (Web UI Framework) : A fast JavaScript framework for creating UI elements for Smart TV applications.

- WebGL : JavaScript-based API for rendering 2D and 3D graphics.

- Emulator Usability improvements : Emulator output console can now be filtered & searched.  Additionally, applications can be launched by dragging-n-dropping their folder into the Emulator.

PreTest Tool : This tool lets developers save time by quickly validating their apps before submission to the app certification process.

Automatic Test Tool : Create test scripts with input events (ex: mouse click) to automate testing of your applications.

Debugging : Support for the Web Inspector debugging tool has been added to the Emulator. 

Now developers can easily debug their HTML, JavaScript, and CSS code. 

Tutorial Explorer : The IDE now includes a Tutorial Browser tool that lets developers easily browse and launch demo applications. 

- Printer SEF : Support for Printers has now been added to the Emulator.
Browser IDE/Emulator : Tool for creating Smart TV applications via a web-browser tool (requires Chrome browser).    

■ Getting the SDK
Developers creating applications for the 2014 platform are encouraged to use this latest SDK 5.0.

Smart TV SDK 5.0 install files for Windows, Mac, and Linux: http://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Sdkdownload
SDK documentation URL: http://www.samsungdforum.com/Guide

Best Regards,
Your Samsung Smart TV SDK Team

• 3 weeks later...
chessdragon136

Hi All,

Has anyone taken up the mantle of making a Samsung smart hub app for MediaBrowser? 
I ask as I have been a follower of mediabrowser for a long time and have always wanted it on my TV (Instead I have to use twonky as my server, no metadata) 

Well, I got bored last night and installed the SDK (4.1 as it supports my tv, 2011 model) and have been tinkering with a video player example and have created this:

52f61e3abb2ec_SamsungTest.png

(I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting an image... Sorry if i am)

Basically the above app opens as it looks and is simply displaying the last 3 videos added to the library and displays them - For the techies out there I am using XML and parsing the results. 

Saadly I cannot currently fathom any of the samsung API's, and not only that some code only runs on some models of TV (Which probably explains why developers never made much for it!!) For instance I've tried to create text input but the behaviour differs from from the API's - thought that something that basic should remain static!

If someone can help me work out all the API's it may be possible to create a basic program.... 

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

i wonder whether it would be easier (for now) to wrap/port the web client into a samsung app because you can play videos from the web client within the web browser now on the samsung smart tv's you just cannot fullscreen (which is possible within an app)

Hello chessdragon, thanks for taking time and exploring the sdk, and Rowlett, Samsung TV browser doesn't support html 5 or flash, It won't play videos, so porting MB3 Web client isn't an option.

Regards,

DaN

Hi Dan since firmware 1117 and web browser version 1.48+ ive been able to play html5 video and tested playback on web client too and can confirm it plays (didnt previously) Model: UE40F6510

• Like 1

ouch! :-( the web browser is reporting as Safari 535.20 and i know it's nothing developers can deal with here as the browser itself does not have full screen capability (on any website). good luck with creating your app though!!