Status: Initiated Blueprint
- Luke has investigated this, unclear the progress on universal development. App devs have not begun dev for this. Once Luke builds core compatibility it may be 3+ months before app/client SSL adoption.
- Spread the word! Let's make it known how many Emby users would love to see this feature!
I have seen scattered, unorganized requests for this that seemed to die, so this will serve to centralize all support for SSL and to track responses/feedback.
This is to request Emby support SSL, both app and web client to server.
This would be for Emby Connect setups as well as local user setup.
Utilize Lets Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) to allow automated endoint encryption. Luke is currently looking for members that may be able to help automate this at server endpoints.
Possible Solutions include subdomains for each client (ex. customer.emby.media) or custom domains for each customer such as DyDNS.
Reasons for this:
- Secure activity/traffic between client and server
- Allows passwords to be passed plain text from client to server.
- Would allow development of SSO/LDAP authentication solutions. Please see and support our topic linked below:
What is done:
- Enhanced SSL support on mobile application
What is needed:
- Core universal SSL support
- App supported SSL
- Web-app supported SSL
- Authentication passed over SSL to allow plaintext passwords
Edited by Untoten, 21 November 2016 - 11:46 AM.