Emby server partly inaccessible (ESET)

NeonGOD

theojt

You can get lost in Eset, I'll offer these steps for your perusal (and if anyone more familiar with Eset wants to offer corrections or updates, please do):

From the Eset Home Screen:

1. Click Setup

2. Click Advanced button in the lower right corner

3. If "Web and Email" is not already selected, then click on that to select it and you should end up here:

Snap13_zps96x91ps0.gif

4. Click on EDIT for Excluded applications.  Then on the next page click ADD.

5. Scroll through the list displayed to find and add C:\Program Files (x86)\GOOGLE\CHROME\APPLICATION\CHROME.EXE and click OK.

6. Do the same for C:\USERS\{Your Username}\APPDATA\ROAMING\EMBY-SERVER\SYSTEM\MEDIABROWSER.SERVERAPPLICATION.EXE and click OK again.

Snap16_zps6iilqza5.gif

7. Now back at the Web and Email Protocol filtering page, click Edit for Excluded IP addresses and add 127.0.0.1 and 198.162.1.xxx (using whatever your internal server address actually is) just like we added the application exclusions above.

8. Click OK until you can exit Eset.

9. Restart your browser before testing but you should be functional at this point.

Edited by theojt
  • Like 2

rhodges

Yeah, but I don't want to exclude Chrome. I just want to exclude my server.

I really suggest Emby reach out to ESET to see what's up.

Edit: Nevermind. I was able to do it with a simple IP filter. Setup -> Web access protection -> Click Web and Email -> Excluded IP address -> Entered my server IP. And it works.

Edited by rhodges

Happy2Play

Installed ESET Smart Security from website, I can replicate this, localhost never resolves completely.  All remote connections worked.

56ff220664658_localhost.jpg

I see this as a ESET problem not honoring localhost.  Hostname and 127.0.0.1 work fine, everything default no exceptions made.

Uninstalled ESET and localhost worked like normal.

Note all testing was done on DEV server release.

Edited by Happy2Play

The above guide fixed accessing the web client in the same server; but from other clients it doesn't work; even a web client in another PC cannot reach he server. can anyone help?

DaN

Happy2Play

Has to be something with the ESET firewall, have you considered trying "Learning Mode"?  While testing I didn't have an issue using LANIP or hostname to connect while on "Automatic Mode".

Happy2Play

Ok with some testing this would appear to be a IPv6 issue, either with ESET or Emby.  If someone else can test this it would be greatly appreciated. 

This fixed LOCALHOST for me.

Add "::1" to Setup -> Internet Protection -> Web access protection -> Click Web and Email -> Excluded IP address

56ff8c6bda05d_loop.jpg

You need to add 127.0.0.1 and serverip to excluded list if you want to access on the server via those addresses, but almost everyone uses localhost locally.

Edited by Happy2Play

Ok with some testing this would appear to be a IPv6 issue, either with ESET or Emby.  If someone else can test this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Add "::1" to Setup -> Internet Protection -> Web access protection -> Click Web and Email -> Excluded IP address

56ff8c6bda05d_loop.jpg

Tat didn't resolve it; clients are still unable to access the server; I disabled the firewall or quite some time, and I could get the login page to show up from another PC; but the android/ipad clients, no.

DaN

Happy2Play

Tat didn't resolve it; clients are still unable to access the server; I disabled the firewall or quite some time, and I could get the login page to show up from another PC; but the android/ipad clients, no.

DaN

This should only fix the localhost issues, this topic is not about remote access.

With all the testing I never lost remote access connectivity, or other computers lan access via lanip or hostname only "LOCALHOST" connectivity.

Edited by Happy2Play

NeonGOD

The Plot thickens...   Now external clients got no access either..  and i have added ip's to protocol filtering etc..    guess im gonna uninstall eset 9 and roll back to eset 8

NeonGOD

This is defiantly a emby problem...  now i have uninstalled eset completely..  still no external access to emby..   but now localhost is working..   ofc i have checked port and forwarding and they work..   tested with pfportcheck..  i have disabled firewall and got no eset or other AV for that matter...

i now can access emby locally on 127.0.0.1 and localhost and from lan but no external access from any clients..  

i only get a black page and Icon & title saying Emby

Edited by XenoBIT78

Passcratch

This fixed LOCALHOST for me.

56ff8c6bda05d_loop.jpg

You need to add 127.0.0.1 and serverip to excluded list if you want to access on the server via those addresses, but almost everyone uses localhost locally.

It works for me too, thanks !!

I just add "::1"

• Like 1

mystic.bertie

I dont know what has changed, as i said in a previous post on this thread, reinstalling eset and then putting it into learning mode, this always worked for me. Now this does not work at all. These problems have got worse.

If i uninstall Eset from my laptop and my HTPC with emby server. Emby theatre works fine on my emby server pc. I can also connect by browser using the local host and remote host link on my emby server pc. I cannot connect by browser to the local or remote hosts using my laptop which has no Eset.

Do we have a definite answer to this problem or is it work in progress :)

Happy2Play

I dont know what has changed, as i said in a previous post on this thread, reinstalling eset and then putting it into learning mode, this always worked for me. Now this does not work at all. These problems have got worse.

If i uninstall Eset from my laptop and my HTPC with emby server. Emby theatre works fine on my emby server pc. I can also connect by browser using the local host and remote host link on my emby server pc. I cannot connect by browser to the local or remote hosts using my laptop which has no Eset.

Do we have a definite answer to this problem or is it work in progress :)

@@mystic.bertie, To me that sounds like a firewall issue.  Did you have ESET installed when you installed Emby Server?  If so the Firewall rules were never configured in Windows and you have to add them.

For me with ESET installed all I had to do is exclude ip "::1" and left it on Automatic mode.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

mystic.bertie

I got fed up with this messing about with Eset. I installed Kaspersky internet security trial on both machines, now everything is fully working. Emby theatre works fine and the remote and local access using firefox works on both machines.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
syabiz

Hi... just share.

I use

- Eset Smart Security Premium v10.1.204.0
- Emby Server v3.2 (download July 2017)
- Windows 10 64bit

Before use plex and serviio.. But some feature i dont like...
So yesterday i try using emby, looking good.
Lot info about media file like movie including posters and imdb rating. I love that!

But some happen with firewall (ESET)

So many time i try to fix how to use Emby with ESET Firewall and also i looking this thread...

Finally use this settings on my ESET:

Setup -> Web access protection -> WEB AND EMAIL (at left side bar) -> Excluded applicationsn -> Add
Use this line:

"C:\USERS\[My User]\APPDATA\ROAMING\EMBY-SERVER\SYSTEM\MEDIABROWSER.SERVERAPPLICATION.EXE" (without quote)

Then again,

Setup -> Computer Protection -> (click gear icon) choose "configure" -> PERSONAL FIREWALL (at left side bar) -> ADVANCED -> Rules (edit) - Add

Create this:

In General Tab
- Name: Emby Media Server (Enable)
- Direction: Both
- Protocol: TCP & UDP
- Profile: (just use "Any profile")

In Local Tab

- Port: 8096
- IP: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 (must same your network ip range.. it's up to you local network ip's range)
- Zones : Add and choose "Trusted zone"

- Application: file your Emby application services location. I use this "C:\Users\[My User]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

- Service: Emby

In Remote Tab
- Port: 8096
- IP: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 (must same your network ip range.. it's up to you local network ip's range)
- Zones : Add and choose "Trusted zone"

Then Click, Ok -> Ok -> Ok

Then restart Emby Service...

Try access from any client with same network range using PC, smartphone, etc.

Done!

You will can still using Emby with ESET Smart Security Firewall.