Emby server partly inaccessible (ESET)

NeonGOD

Happy2Play

The problem for me also turned out to be Eset's Nod32. It takes a lot of frustration to push me to to a forum for help, so thank you to all involved for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the information.  @@Sketchy, was there a specific setting you changed?  How did you determine it was Nod32?

Edited by Happy2Play

Sketchy

Thanks for the information.  @@Sketchy, was there a specific setting you changed?  How did you determine it was Nod32?

First I tried pausing Nod32 but that didn't make nay difference at all, so I uninstalled Nod32 and re-tried Emby and lo & behold everything loaded just fine. I reinstalled Nod32 afterwords and its playing nice with it Emby again. Not sure what was up. Never had a problem with Nod32 interfering with anything before. It's far and away my favorite AV software.

I had this same problem on two windows 10 pc's, turned out to be ESET, added the servers IP address to protocol filtering, excluded IP addresses and it's now fine.

I'm guessing this might have worked for me, but I didn't see this post before I reinstalled and fixed my problem.

Happy2Play

I wonder if a reinstall of Emby would have been enough also?

Edited by Happy2Play

theojt

I tried reinstalling Emby after a full uninstall and it did not work.  I did not try the suggestion to add the protocol filtering exclusion but found that reinstalling Eset fixed it for me also.

dayfly

I had this same problem on two windows 10 pc's, turned out to be ESET, added the servers IP address to protocol filtering, excluded IP addresses and it's now fine.

Thanks that fixed it for me.

i could not connect with 1 pc from inside local network

server worked fine

eset the problem

umbrau44

I use ESET Nod32 as well.  I am currently using version 9.0.375.0.  And I'm still on Windows 8.1 for now, Version 6.3 (build 9600).

I have been unable to access the web interface using 127.0.0.1:8096 or localhost:8096 since last week sometime.

Tonight, I tried the secure web interface at 127.0.0.1:8920.  It worked, but the regular version did not.

I was able to fix it by going into the advanced settings of NOD32.  I added an exception for 127.0.0.1 in the protocol filtering settings.  Then the regular interface at 127.0.0.1:8096 started working again.

It does fix my issue with accessing the Emby web interface but I'm not sure it's the right way.  Hopefully another update from ESET will rectify the problem.

post-22851-0-21599100-1459138787_thumb.png

Pankookis

Same problem. Not using ESET, only regular Windows Firewall. No difference if I turn the firewall on or off.

Can't access it with https either. 

Windows 10 build 10240

Emby ver 3.0.5921.0

server-63594767885.txt

• Like 1

rhodges

Here is what posted to my browser after a long wait:

${HeaderServerInformation}

${ButtonRestart} ${ButtonShutdown}

${HeaderActiveDevices}

${LabelCache}

${LabelLogs}

${LabelMetadata}

${LabelTranscodingTemporaryFiles}

${HeaderRecentActivity}

${HeaderLatestNews}

I have another thread about remote access and this is what I'm getting. NOD32 isn't installed on the server, but on another machine. When I used the machine with NOD32 installed, I get the same error. I bet it is the source of my problem as well. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that makes a difference.  If I accessed the server using SSL, it works.

Edit: Confirmed, this fixes my problem as well.

NOD32 Antivirus 9

Version: 9.0.349.0

I uninstalled, rebooted and installed it again. This time I got:

Version: 9.0.375.0 (even though checking for a product update before didn't do anything)

And now it loads just fine.

Edited by rhodges

NeonGOD

Strangely it's back..    after i reinstalled eset yesterday the problem was fixed..  but now it's back..  i have added my local ip's to esets protocol filtering exceptions and that have given me access to local ip's (127.0.0.1 & 192.168.1.2) but i can't add localhost so it's still blocked..

Kinda weird that this happens..   i never had ANY trouble with eset like this EVER before, and been running eset for 10 years or so..

NeonGOD

and it's only emby that gets affected..  my other servers are not affected..   running FTP (Filezilla Server), HTTP (xampp (apache,MariaDB,PHP & Perl)), xmpp (ejabbered), IRCD

And still it's just access from same server where it happens..  i can acess it from other machines no problem.. 

Guys is there a FIX for this other than uninstalling ESET?

I'd already added all my IP's in protocol filtering but today I can't access the web frontend at all!

Have also used ESET for well over 10 years and never experienced being locked out of MB/Emby before!

rhodges

I can confirm it is back again. There must be something in a recent virus signature. My is 13258 (20160330). Maybe someone from Emby needs to reach out to ESET and get them to fix their crap?

good idea rhodges :)

If anyone finds any details that need to be entered into ESET's protocol filtering to get the web frontend working again please let us all know!

pir8radio

Doesn't the win 10 Edge browser block "localhost" by default?   Or was that covered already?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/msgulfcommunity/2015/07/01/how-to-debug-localhost-on-microsoft-edge/

Or you might try to install chrome as a test....

oops it looks like this was mentioned here:  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32956-emby-server-partly-inaccessible-eset/page-2&do=findComment&comment=315710

Edited by pir8radio

Sketchy

good idea rhodges :)

If anyone finds any details that need to be entered into ESET's protocol filtering to get the web frontend working again please let us all know!

In Nod's Protocal Filtering options, did you add an exception for the IP (127.0.0.1) and also an exception for the Emby application?

If you click on Add to add an application, it gives you a list where you should find Emby. Like this ..\APPDATA\ROAMING\EMBY-SERVER\SYSTEM\MEDIABROWSER.SERVERAPPLICATION.EXE

After I added those 2 exceptions Emby was unblocked.

BIGGRIMTIM

Same problem for me also.  Poped up after the last update for me.  I was able to fix it by adding my server ip to the exception list in NOD32.

mystic.bertie

I had many problems using Eset and Emby, disabling protection does not help, if you uninstall Eset then i found Emby would work. I got round this by leaving Eset in Learning mode instead of Automatic. I spent hours with this problem. I dont know if this info helps.

• Like 1

Spinner410

Days later and nothing. I've uninstalled NOD32 and uninstalled and reinstalled Emby about 40 times. Nothing works.

Happy2Play

Days later and nothing. I've uninstalled NOD32 and uninstalled and reinstalled Emby about 40 times. Nothing works.

Does the same apply to you?

i can't access it in ANY browser on my local machine..  i can from kodi/android etc..   and externally can too..  and externally can too from browser..

Spinner410

Finally found a fix.

After uninstalling and reinstalling Emby and NOD32 (with full updates), I added both localhost's ip and the server's IP to the exception list along with adding Emby to the application list...

AND then (and this is the step I didnt do before) I added Chrome to the exception list for applications as well.

The moment I added Chrome to that list, everything started working again.

Edited by Spinner410

Happy2Play

Does this ESET KB help?

So post #40 and #67.