Custom collection library / favourites

Schar

Hi

I'm still trying to figure out a way that I can create a library that has a selection of content from other libraries in it, yet retains all the features.

All of my TV is hosted on two UNRAID servers, lets call then \\server1\TV and \\server2\TV. My main TV library is awesome -- next up, recent etc all work.

To be wife and child friendly though, I'd like to be able to have a smaller library, let's call it TV Current, that only contains a subset of the TV shows. And another: Movies Current - for things we've grabbed and know we want to watch.

I've tried to use shortcuts to achieve this. They do map, but the shows are not showing up (sometimes they do, but next up etc never worked) and this is configured:

<EnableWindowsShortcuts>true</EnableWindowsShortcuts>

I realise that shortcuts are going away, so what I am asking is - is there any way to achieve this?

* Can I have a library that only shows certain tags (I'm not adverse to tagging the shows that I want to display like this).

* Can I have a library that only shows custom collections (not the default collections library).

* Can I have a library that allows browsing via a folder type structure (so I can move shows that are still current but on hiatus out while they rest)?

I know I could achieve this by physically separating my content into different shares, but that seems like a hard way to do things; and I suspect that I am missing something pretty basic here.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, welcome. What I would suggest is trying to setup what you want using the regular Emby library setup as well content hiding features using parental controls and tags. If these do not satisfy what you're looking for, then please tell us where it falls short and create some feature request topics.

The hidden config switch you're referencing - to be honest, we don't like this setting at all. We only have it in order to appease some older school Media Browser 2 users so that they can retain their old setups. It's very difficult for us to support, not everybody understands it, it's not documented, and on and on. Basically, we want you to use the Emby UI, and if it doesn't do what you're looking for, then please let us know. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks Luke!

I'm more than happy to try something new. The way I have it set up at the moment supports my MB2 install on Win7MCE; and I'm itching to ditch that and go to emby. But until I can get a similar browsing experience or something equivalently child/wife friendly I'm a little stuck. I've even invested in a new server specifically to run emby ;)

I'll have another look at tags - that sounds like it is going down the path that I'm looking for but I've not really be able to find anything that does what I'm after. I can see how to block tags from users.

What I'm looking for in an feature that will include content in a library based on tags. I.e. I can have a TV library, and create a new library or a view over an existing library that that only includes shows that I have manually tagged "Current" (as an example)

Is that possible?

Cheers

• Like 1

Vidman

Why not just make a current TV collection and just add/remove shows from your tv library to it using the web interface, is basically the same idea of a collection of shortcuts

.... And the same for movies

Edited by Vidman

Hi Vidman - are you meaning to just manage the library source folders? I cannot see any other way to add content in. I'll give that a crack (but I has assumed that you needed a root collection folder that all the series sat in, could be wrong there). Thank you!

Ah, I've tried that but the main problem I have then it things get buried with all the other collections within a library. In addition, things like "recommendations" don't work. And I have yet to find a way to have TV collections show up (and I'd be after next up etc to also work).

Vidman

Well I thought maybe then you could "favourite" a collection but I just tried it in the mobile app and the collection doesn't show up under favourites

I'm mostly playing with the web browser at the moment. Haven't purchased clients yet as I want to make sure I can get it to a state where I can use it.

Recommendations and next up, using the collection method, will still show everything from the underlying library. This is what I am trying to limit.

Again, the feature I'm looking for is best described as a library that is a subset of what is on the underlying disks (or a subset of another library). Limited by tags or ratings or equivalent feature (even a collection as a root library view would work). Inclusive rather than inclusive. Would be cooler yet if this had a sub view type function (i.e. like a typical folder tree, nest views one deep).

dnicks

the only way i've figured out to do this is creating separate shares.  the problem is when you have 3 or 4 people all with different tastes in shows, it becomes a huge PITA to do it.  right now i have dad, mom, both.  i wanted to add shows for one of my kids, he had some of his own, some of mine, some of his mothers, and some of both.  so i had to create 4 different shares and move all the series around to different folders. 

i wish in the server settings under User/Library Access you could open up each library and choose specific shows or movies that are in that library that you want a specific user to have access to.  not sure if it's possible, but would be a really easy way to control what shows are in each users library.

• Like 1

@@dnicks - you're onto it. I'd started to go down that path but physically moving media isn't ideal. I've also tried using symlinks and mount points within unraid (managed to make it mount samba shares secured with AD credentials at boot - that was fun) to simulate this but again the overhead is higher, and I also would rather that I have a show or movie once in my system (by path) and it remembers what I have watched and / or starred across all libraries (I am assuming that is how things currently work).

@@Luke - are we at the point that I should create a feature request?

Edited by Schar