Sync Support

dcrdev

mythofechelon

A few weeks ago, I swapped to Plex and, to be honest, I recommend that everyone else does too - the setup was minimal (it just picked up all of the media metadata), the features are identical if not better (as far as I'm aware), the iOS app is stable, and the iOS app supports sync / offline playback.

MadibaJ

Yeah. I just wish i had chosen Plex over Emby. But back in the day when i bought my premium pass Emby were openly advertising sync as coming soon. I dont use any other premium features, so it was a waste of money for me. I get my own back back always recommending Plex to family and friends.

I travel a lot so have to mess around with infuse which again costs more money. Bring on a Plex sale!

What also really sh@ts me with the sync support is Embys absolute silence on the issue. No updates, no responses to requests on progress.

Edited by MadibaJ

A few weeks ago, I swapped to Plex and, to be honest, I recommend that everyone else does too - the setup was minimal (it just picked up all of the media metadata), the features are identical if not better (as far as I'm aware), the iOS app is stable, and the iOS app supports sync / offline playback.

Good luck.

Longtime Plex user (have had lifetime Plex Pass since it came out, literally the first day) and I am looking to switch to Emby, as are many old time Plex users.

Plex sync with iOS? Many bugs. It took many days (yes, days) to sync about 1/10 of my music library. Movies/TV Shows? Fails most of the time. Many of us have just taken to pulling the files with VLC and playing them that way.

Latest issue? On one of my iPhones I get a message that it could not play the file because it could not direct play and the CPU is not strong enough to trans-code it. Yet the same file plays perfectly well on three other iPhones (all iPhones 6s's). And the computer? A Mac Mini that has a passmark score of over 7500. So plenty of juice to trans-code. (Oh, and Emby has no problem playing the same file on any of the iPhones - on a slightly less powerful Mac Mini.)

Plex is all about "the next feature", while ignoring flaws in the core system. The forums are flooded with complaints about this. They ask for logs and then say it is user error. I find it hard to believe so many users have the same problem and it is user error.

And let's not discuss user privacy when it comes to data. That is a complete joke. 

But hey - PLEX HAS NEWS! (Something no one asked for, it was just forced on users) And - PLEX HAS PLEXAMP (Something else no one asked for, granted it is optional but there are so many broken things why introduce that?).

Waiting for a good implementation of iOS sync in Emby? No problem. I will wait. 

I still use Plex  but we are slowly moving to Emby more and more. 

Edited by rsava

legallink

Good luck.

Longtime Plex user (have had lifetime Plex Pass since it came out, literally the first day) and I am looking to switch to Emby, as are many old time Plex users.

Plex sync with iOS? Many bugs. It took many days (yes, days) to sync about 1/10 of my music library. Movies/TV Shows? Fails most of the time. Many of us have just taken to pulling the files with VLC and playing them that way.

Latest issue? On one of my iPhones I get a message that it could not play the file because it could not direct play and the CPU is not strong enough to trans-code it. Yet the same file plays perfectly well on three other iPhones (all iPhones 6s's). And the computer? A Mac Mini that has a passmark score of over 7500. So plenty of juice to trans-code. (Oh, and Emby has no problem playing the same file on any of the iPhones - on a slightly less powerful Mac Mini.)

Plex is all about "the next feature", while ignoring flaws in the core system. The forums are flooded with complaints about this. They ask for logs and then say it is user error. I find it hard to believe so many users have the same problem and it is user error.

And let's not discuss user privacy when it comes to data. That is a complete joke. 

But hey - PLEX HAS NEWS! (Something no one asked for, it was just forced on users) And - PLEX HAS PLEXAMP (Something else no one asked for, granted it is optional but there are so many broken things why introduce that?).

Thanks for the breakdown @@rsava.  I haven't used Plex previously, but nice to parse the news from reality.

@@MadibaJ

@@dcrdev

@@mythofechelon

Has your experience been the same/similar?  Or is it very different?

dcrdev

Thanks for the breakdown @@rsava.  I haven't used Plex previously, but nice to parse the news from reality.

@@MadibaJ

@@dcrdev

@@mythofechelon

Has your experience been the same/similar?  Or is it very different?

Not sure why you've tagged me in -

I have never used Plex, have never participated in their forums - I couldn't really comment on the attitude over there. From what I hear though they have a working iOS app and sync features.

I would never use Plex though because it's 100% closed sourced, which I will never find acceptable on one of my machines.

mythofechelon

Good luck.

We haven't had those sync or transcoding problems with Plex but, honestly, we'd rather have an app / service that works the majority of the time (Plex) than one that doesn't work the majority of the time (Emby). On a related note, from experience and speaking to people, the experience with Emby largely depends what platforms you use - iOS is unusable, Xbox One is (was?) unusable, but everything else (web, smart TVs, Android, etc) is fine most of the time.

Compare the release notes listing frivolous features and enhancements to the months-outstanding, experience-breaking bugs and you'll see that Emby is no different to or is worse than what you claim about Plex.

I'm not 100% sure of Emby's or Plex's stance on privacy. I read / heard that both try not to know what a library contains so that law enforcement don't pester them constantly which seems plausible.

TL;DR: Try both (really quick if you already have one setup) and use what suits you best. Plex suits us best because we predominantly use iOS.

@@legallink

Edited by mythofechelon

MadibaJ

Good luck.

I still use Plex but we are slowly moving to Emby more and more.

I was lucky enough to get a three month Plex pass through bytemybits. I had no issues at all. Syncing was brilliant.

jscoys

Hum the Emby iOS app is great. The only thing broken today is the playback, I admit it’s a big part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good luck.

Interesting, I haven't had much to do with Plex in quite a while but have been tempted by some of the features. You would only have to check these forums and follow a couple of the "big issue" threads like this sync one to know that what you have mentioned above applies to both Emby and Plex it seems. As mentioned it does at times sound like both development teams focus on new features or supporting many platforms at the cost of bug squashing in current code. As with most software there is only so much time spent on dev and Emby is pretty decent for the price even if the comms on certain elements is a bit lacking.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Dibbes

Interesting, I haven't had much to do with Plex in quite a while but have been tempted by some of the features. You would only have to check these forums and follow a couple of the "big issue" threads like this sync one to know that what you have mentioned above applies to both Emby and Plex it seems. As mentioned it does at times sound like both development teams focus on new features or supporting many platforms at the cost of bug squashing in current code. As with most software there is only so much time spent on dev and Emby is pretty decent for the price even if the comms on certain elements is a bit lacking.

If I would have the skills, I´d jump on it myself... unfortunately I don´t seem to have the brain for coding the way I do for spoken languages.

It´s one of the things Plex won´t allow either, by the way...

Hum the Emby iOS app is great. The only thing broken today is the playback, I admit it’s a big part...

lol emby IOS App is great, but the playback is broken, lol so if the playback is broken then why is good for, to look at the fanart?

jscoys

lol emby IOS App is great, but the playback is broken, lol so if the playback is broken then why is good for, to look at the fanart?

Good point ;-) at least to manage the library, but you’re right the app is useless...

If I would have the skills, I´d jump on it myself... unfortunately I don´t seem to have the brain for coding the way I do for spoken languages.

It´s one of the things Plex won´t allow either, by the way...

I will be honest mate, not sure about your grasp on spoken languages either as I have nfi how what you said in any way related to the comment I made ;) especially the bit about things Plex wont allow, isn't that one of the major points of this thread that Plex does have offline sync for iOS (buggy by the sounds) but it does actually have the feature.

Anyhow maybe just a lost in translation going on there i think haha

Dibbes

I will be honest mate, not sure about your grasp on spoken languages either as I have nfi how what you said in any way related to the comment I made ;) especially the bit about things Plex wont allow, isn't that one of the major points of this thread that Plex does have offline sync for iOS (buggy by the sounds) but it does actually have the feature.

Anyhow maybe just a lost in translation going on there i think haha

LoL! See? Now imagine what the story is when I´d be trying to put C# on a screen... 

What I meant though is that the plex devs won´t allow you to jump on it, even when you have the skills... does not matter though, what I said is not really all that relevant

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

LoL! See? Now imagine what the story is when I´d be trying to put C# on a screen... 

What I meant though is that the plex devs won´t allow you to jump on it, even when you have the skills... does not matter though, what I said is not really all that relevant

LOL true that. Now I get what ya mean, yeh not open source style Dev team. Not sure how Emby work on that front if the Devs are all paid or their are volunteers etc, but yeh prolly not going to make much difference to the appearance of iOS Emby Sync feature anytime soon :)

good luck with the multilingual and programming study mate :D

• Like 1

dcrdev

Going to be traveling again March 7th and would love to bring some shows with me. Dare I hope?

Depends how much you like being disappointed  :P

• Like 2

jscoys

The real question is: if the sync is implemented, will it include the main playback issue the app is having right now (backward jumps)?

I'm ditching Emby. Plex has run so much smoother for me both on my Android phone (I switched from iOS so sync is no longer an issue for me) but I have to restart my apple TV anytime I want to use Emby on that.

dcrdev

The real question is: if the sync is implemented, will it include the main playback issue the app is having right now (backward jumps)?

Probably be forward skips by then

I'm ditching Emby. Plex has run so much smoother for me both on my Android phone (I switched from iOS so sync is no longer an issue for me) but I have to restart my apple TV anytime I want to use Emby on that.

I did the same, the main reasons i switched to emby were collections and better kodi support.  Plex now has matched those two features (at least if you have Pass).  I also use a chromebook when I travel and the emby android app isn't supported but the plex app is (and has sync).  I've been watching this thread hoping for this feature for way too long.  I'll keep emby running as a backup because I do hate the authentication part of plex having minimal local support.

Edited by esk1

• 4 weeks later...
mikkelnl

New user here, also surprised that offline sync/mode was not available on iOs, guess I didn't read the features page good enough :)

Will follow this topic, hoping this feature arives soon cause it's a life saver during trips with the kids ;)