Sync Support

dcrdev

OldHoster

This is the one feature that I really wanted over Plex and it just disgusts me that I thought it would be there, paid for the key and it isn't there! UGH!!!!!! I just bought the key tonight and I guess I am going to have to buy Plex again and dump emby even though I like the web interface better. 

dcrdev

Yeah might do the same as it's obviously not coming in the near future and whilst I've got huge admiration for the Emby project; sync support is just such a vital feature. I originally chose Emby over Plex because of the vastly better Kodi integration - but now the addon has been ported over to Plex and sync isn't in sight, Emby doesn't really make sense for me anymore considering all my mobile devices are iDevices.

A note to the core Emby team - you place a huge emphasis on secrecy in order "to compete", well you're not competing at the moment because you don't have one of the core features that every other one of your competitors has; you want to compete focus on sync support for devices other than Windows Phone (which has an insignificant userbase compared to iOS/Android), instead of building new clients for every device under the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
Thermopyle

gpX8Vrx.png

Anyone with an iOS device who reads this is going to assume they can do this...iOS almost always get new apps and features before other mobile operating systems, so it's a pretty understandable assumption.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Josh Lyon

gpX8Vrx.png

Anyone with an iOS device who reads this is going to assume they can do this...iOS almost always get new apps and features before other mobile operating systems, so it's a pretty understandable assumption.

Perhaps even more concerning is this part at the bottom of the page:

dC9kGig.png

> Take your personal home videos, music, and photos with you wherever you go, even offline with Emby Mobile Sync. Emby apps are available for Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone and Windows Tablets. 

And for what it's worth, I came to Emby looking for hardware transcoding + mobile sync and won't be using Emby or buying premium since mobile sync isn't available. Hopefully the dev team does have this prioritized -- as others have mentioned this is a competitive gap for Emby at the moment.

Edited by Josh Lyon

dcrdev

Perhaps even more concerning is this part at the bottom of the page:

dC9kGig.png

> Take your personal home videos, music, and photos with you wherever you go, even offline with Emby Mobile Sync. Emby apps are available for Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone and Windows Tablets. 

And for what it's worth, I came to Emby looking for hardware transcoding + mobile sync and won't be using Emby or buying premium since mobile sync isn't available. Hopefully the dev team does have this prioritized -- as others have mentioned this is a competitive gap for Emby at the moment.

Nah obviously the next priority for them will be bringing out App #101 for that obscure brand of television used by that one guy and his aunt; that's going to be waaaaay more important than focussing on one of the most significant mobile platforms out there, god.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
captainmobius

I really wish I would have found this topic a couple hours ago. I too was duped by the "Sync" snippet on the about page, then got excited and forked over the $100 for the lifetime membership.  Only to find this subject and discover that not only is it not supported yet, but the dev(s) are treating their customers rather poorly.

As several others have already said, simply replying with "This is where we're at with it, with think it might be done by month/year" would got a lot further than just repeating the same, short, canned answer.

legallink

I really wish I would have found this topic a couple hours ago. I too was duped by the "Sync" snippet on the about page, then got excited and forked over the $100 for the lifetime membership.  Only to find this subject and discover that not only is it not supported yet, but the dev(s) are treating their customers rather poorly.

As several others have already said, simply replying with "This is where we're at with it, with think it might be done by month/year" would got a lot further than just repeating the same, short, canned answer.

If you are upset about it, usually, in that short a time frame, Luke and EBR will refund your purchase. @@captainmobius

Edited by legallink

• 3 weeks later...
mce-emby

Hello lovely people at Emby

Can we PLEASE have an update on this?

There are a LOT of users looking for this functionality

With Plex and now Netflix offering offline playback, it would be awesome for our favorite media app Emby to have this support as well !!

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
AndyBak

Out of interest (if you can share) what are the challenges with getting sync working on iOS, is it a technical/development thing or approval from Apple?

• Like 1

GoldFiNNger

Out of interest (if you can share) what are the challenges with getting sync working on iOS, is it a technical/development thing or approval from Apple?

Yes, can you please help us understand what roadblocks are slowing down the release of a usable Mobile Sync feature?

Many of us are experienced programmers who can lend a hand in overcoming any obstacles that slow Emby's progress.

We want to see Emby grow and adapt to the community's lead. We do not want to have to switch to Plex, nor sit back and wait for Younity to evolve past Emby.

Your comments scream passive aggression. If you want this community to reach its full potential, you have to change the way you speak to your patrons. Answers that clearly do not address our concerns are a sign of disrespect and apathy, so if you love Emby and wish to see it flourish, you're going to have to suck it up and learn to connect with your patrons and earn their trust. If not, enjoy the money you've collected from lifetime memberships & in-App purchases, because you have strong competition, and ain't nobody in their right mind gonna sit here and take it up the hoo-haa.

I love what you're doing, and if there is any way I can help, please PM me.

Edited by GoldFiNNger
  • Like 1

Deihmos

This is pretty much a deal breaker for me so had to make a switch. Maybe one day this will be available. 

Edited by Deihmos

• 3 weeks later...
AndyBak

A little bump if I may re-ask the question?

I also just bought a license, without really reading that it did not work on IOS. It's my fault. But can you give us info on the launch date.

Currently my license is of no use to me.

Thank you

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
AndyBak

Annual anniversary of  this thread so bumping. Any updates on this very long pending feature? Are you able to share what the road blocks / challenges are?

• 4 weeks later...
gleep52

I started my premiere membership on Feb 23rd.  Today my auto-renew fired off and I donated another 5 bucks.  I decided the help I've gotten with all my questions here on the support site was worth the lifetime membership since it seemed like Emby was ahead of Plex at every curve.  But it looks like I purchased too soon since I literally just decided to sync a few movies to my kids' iPads so we could have them while driving... only to find that the "learn more" and "help!" buttons do nothing in the iOS app and then a little research lead me here.  First time I'm truly disappointed with Emby.  l have seen so much love, I'm willing to stick it out, as @@Luke has said they are actively working on it.  I just hope that it gets complete soon since waiting 2 years to get this far is pretty scary.  

At first I was going to ask for my 5 dollar renewal fee refunded since I purchased lifetime today - but I'm happy to support Emby in their hard work and efforts.  Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
jayessay

I appreciate the hard work Emby's developers are putting in to improving the software, and I'm sure that it is a lot of work to roll out a syncing feature across mobile platforms. I don't exactly mean to complain. But (and there's always a but, isn't there...), it would be helpful to have a sense as to Emby's planned timeline. When Luke says that Emby is currently working on a sync feature, is the plan to roll it out or beta it in 3 months? 6? 12? 24?  I'm not asking for a definitive "it will be done on/by X", we clearly aren't going to hold you to a date-things happen, but a general sense of your timeframe would be really helpful/useful.

• Like 7