Sync Support

dcrdev

• 2 weeks later...
etherlore

I just purchased and I get this message when trying to sync "It looks like you don't currently have any apps that support offline downloading."  The "Learn more" link directs to this github page: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync which doesn't really help.

What does this mean? Is this simply a page that would allow me to force sync to some other device that has sync support? 

59a633d20ce9c_IMG_1822.png

Why isn't it available yet? Plex has had it for quite some time. This is a deal-breaker for me and I may not continue my premier subscription due to it.

• Like 1

legallink

@@nahtay I'm not an employee of emby. I just responded to the question. This whole thread is about ios sync and it not being available yet. The platforms have different priorities at different times. Im not sure why this is a shock. The website even states it isn't available on iOS yet.

Understood and I have also read that it's not available yet. I threw that comment out there in hopes that someone from Emby would see it. I figure the more demand for this feature, the higher the priority from Emby.

etherlore

Sync isn't available yet in iOS.

Well this is extremely misleading then, this is what happens when you click sync on iOS currently. It certainly gives you the impression you will unlock the feature on your device if you pay up, which is what I did. I feel duped :

59a6d9ab8cf6f_IMG_1825.png

59a6d90bee352_063E3289CDA34782AA75AEB51C59a6d92540243_0F394E8E585A46D58861AE8071

• Like 1

I agree. It's definitely clunky and I spent a lot of wasted time trying to figure out how to make it work (since the sync option is there in iOS) before I realized only through a lot of searching on forums to find out it's not even supported.

• Like 1

Sync is for cloud sync/folder sync, and it will not be used for offline downloading once this app has the downloading feature that android and windows have. instead it will just be nice and easy download buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas

Im quite sure that since 14 days has gone by since the last post, the devs have completely forgotten about this feature so I though I would remind them  ;)

Just coming off of dealing with Hurricane Irma and not having the ability to download some content to my IOS device to watch while sitting in the dark for 3 days really hit home how badly I want this to happen!

Tried syncing using the app Infuse which worked but for some reason it had terrible lip sync issues plus who doesnt want a fully integrated experience all in one app right!

Just chiming in and hope this happens before the next Hurricane hits (which could be next week some time the way things have been going down here lately!!)

UPDATE: Why did I have to anger the hurricane gods with my snarky comment?! Here comes Hurricane Maria! YEEESH!!

Edited by hstamas

I want to switch from Plex after their recent privacy policy policy disaster, and I'm sure I'm not he only one want to make the switch, but having downloads to ios missing is a deal breaker for me.

I also have to say that although the webpage does say downloading isn't available for ios, I like others didn't realize that until I had already purchased a month of premium.

Wow... I just found this thread like so many others have- I purchased a subscription only to find this feature not working in iOS. Clearly this isn't just our fault. The fact that this many people have had the same problem shows that Emby is hiding behind a few words on the web site. The app never mentions your device doesn't support the feature, it's just missing. The sync feature sounds a whole lot like what downloading to the device because that's what most other apps call it. When you click on that feature it asks you to upgrade, but that's not even the feature you think it is. You've created a confusing user experience that causes users to purchase your product with bad information.

That alone is a problem, but the bigger problem is that you ignore it. You leave it there and ignore that users are confused and having problems and just say you're doing the best you can, but clearly are not. You could, at the very least, make this less confusing, but in the 18 months since this thread started, you've given no real information or addressed any of the problems users have been having with this.

Considering the attitude in this thread, I'm really reconsidering whether or not I made the right decision by purchasing Emby.

• Like 1

iamspartacus

The moment this feature is available they've got my lifetime subscription purchase in the bank.  Just have too many users who use Plex sync on their iOS devices to fully switch over until this feature is available.

• 5 weeks later...
jscoys

I think (But may be wrong) that people here, as me, are really willing to get the feature of "Offline playback" which would allow you to play movies or shows you chose directly from the app, even in "Airplane mode"...

The Sync function (That I recommand @@Luke to rename something like "Cloud" or "Cloud sync") is something to help improving your playback experience, like putting your movie, pre-transcoded, in Google Drive and then everyone connected to your server would play the movie from the GDrive instead of your computer.

It's a little bit confusing I know, but yeah I'm really waiting for the feature to play Offline, because Plex is able, so... WTF?!

Edited by jscoys
  • Like 1

ryandavidg

I'm sure a lot of us are really keen on this feature, but without wishing to jump the gun, if you look in the IOS testing area of the forum there is light at the end of the tunnel and they are making progress  ;)

Guest wheatism

I'm dying to move away from Plex who have terrible customer support, very poor privacy agreement and have completely lost their way on what they want their product to be (or maybe they don't want customers who just weant kickass media centres).

The ONLY reason I haven't jumped is the iOS offline playback. I have messed about with downloading from Emby server to VLC and it works...but is clunky. An ETA on this functionality, even if eventually missed would help me decide if to jump to Emby or pay more money the bloodsuckers at Plex.

I know I am not the only PlexPass user ready to jump....

• 2 weeks later...
ajwiesner

Let me add my name to the list of people who are shocked this isn't a feature. Why does my iOS app even show sync as an option. I kept selecting it and being confused as to what was happening and where to find my synced content. Having content available while on a plane or in a hotel with spotty wi-fi is an absolutely essential feature. The lack of response in this thread is also quite concerning. I assume the Emby team knows how important this is, but they don't seem to be commenting on it. Why not?

• 1 month later...
jscoys

Could someone explains us whats happening and why Plex is able to have it and not Emby? @@Luke seemed very motivated to add the feature 3 years ago and after nothing, we’re blind, no info why it’s been aborted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jacotec

Honestly I'm also waiting for it. I've a trip in the US in two weeks and the procedure for watching some movies on my iPad is currently:

- Downloading it from the Emby server to my PC

- Transcoding them down for iPad use with a 3rd party app

- Syncing them into Infuse on the iPad

That was ways more comfortable with Plex. I just needed to add the movies for offline use in the Plex app, then the server transcoded them down and stored them into the app so I could simply watch them.

I'd highly appreciate to have this kind of usage also with Emby ☺️