Max streaming rate per user

jose

Max Streaming rate per user/device  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Max Streaming rate

Guest asrequested

Not in all cases.   For instance, if you have a phone which connects to your home network via VPN, it will attempt to play at full quality.  And in many cases just because my phone can do 3Mbps, doesn't mean I want to use 3Mbps, as I want to keep usage lower.

So while I have 150Mbps up... for some devices it still needs to stay lower.

So that would be an exception, and that would be when you use the device limit. But that scenario isn't going to be very common. So having the tiered settings would allow for that.

shorty1483

So that would be an exception, and that would be when you use the device limit. But that scenario isn't going to be very common. So having the tiered settings would allow for that.

VPN is very common at least here in Germany. None of the voting solutions would heal the misfunction of VPN connected portable devices, which also would be used at home with full bandwidth. 

I reapeat my proposal to set limitations for VPN connected devices based on IP's connected to the Emby server. Such a setting would eliminate the special VPN scenario by just assign static IP's to the VPN clients.

Guest asrequested

Yes what is the consensus?

I think with something like this and reading the viewpoints, it would seem that as many options as you can provide us with, the better. 

I know it would be way more complicated to implement, and maybe maintain... but I'd rather see a tiered approach, with an order of precedence.

Total max external streaming bandwidth / per user / per device

Limits could be set at none/any/all levels, and whichever is the lowest should be used at any point in time.  All together, never exceed the max external bandwidth rate (because the ISP's upload limit).

No matter what choice is made, we still need to keep the total external bandwidth setting because of the hard ISP limit.

MSattler

Yes what is the consensus?

Well the vote is 18 per device, 8 for per user.

Perhaps add per device first.  If that works, and we have no issues, then look at a per user limitation.

That would require a flow for how these limitations would effect playback.  In my mind it would go 1) Server Max throughput per any connection 2) Device max throughput, 3) user max throughput.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
pir8radio

Soooooooo......  Originally I liked how emby was already setup with bandwidth limiting.....  But now I have changed my stance to "Per Device"  because I'm prepping my server to move into a Chicago datacenter... I got to thinking, how will I be able to direct stream 20, 30, 40+ mbps to my home Emby Theater if my bandwidth is set to 5Mbps at the server for other users....   Not an issue when the server was in my home...   So, now I am FOR the per device setting... For now, since the datacenter is giving me unmetered/unlimited 1Gbps internet, I'm just going to lift the 5Mbps limit.  

Anyway, is this going to happen?   :D  I'm a bit excited for the feature now.. lol

Edited by pir8radio

Jdiesel

Looking forward to testing this out myself. 

I was just thinking how great it would be to have access to the client settings from the server end. That way the server admin could completely manage all the devices connecting to the server remotely.

I checked per device but as I have stated in other threads the server should have control over every facet so both options need to be employed

actually it doesn't matter that much how it should be implemented, the point is that admin need an ability to set the only allowed transcoding format (720p/1080p@someMbps) for user/device, so that the user can't override it from his device. Now anytime I log in to Emby via web-browser, I have to visit profile and change the Auto quality setting to what the device and network really support without the hiccups.

• 3 weeks later...
bobhays

Per device or per user?

I think the most common (and important) use case for this limiting is when people are streaming to remote clients outside of their home and they have limited upload speeds. I'm not sure how other's have their users set up but I personally have a main one that I use at home or away, and a guest user that I let others use for remote streaming.

The best way to handle this would probably be a mix of these 2 solutions. Allow us to set a maximum limit that a user can use, and also a maximum limit per device for that user.

Also additional suggestion. Can we add a limit for the number of maximum streams per user?

fonzie

I think it would be beneficial to set simultaneous device limits per user.  Where a guest user can view on several different devices but not at the same time.

I also think streaming limits per user is a nice addition.

• Like 1

This is an absolutely necessary option... a must have if you want to have a descent multi user experience

( my opinion ).

So...  please add both options... limit by user and limit by device.

thanks

Soki

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I think I suggested per device a year ago ;)  Bandwidth Limit... It's not something I'd personally use, so are we talking about a cap on speed?  Or on amount of data transferred?

Here is what I'm envisioning...

Toggle for Overall Bandwidth limit for streaming to "external" devices (ie not on the same network), and then a place to set the limit of course (which would need a timeframe as well, ie 4GB/mo)

As each user logs in from a device, it is added to their user profile.

In the user profile, there are options for max concurrent connections, as well as max bandwidth.  (Ideally each user would have their own login, but we all know how that goes, so might as well account for it).

Clicking on the device opens a device screen (similar to what exists now).  In it you set transcode preferences and toggle bandwidth limits.  Also have an option to enable "Roaming Preferences", so when the device is out of the network these preferences kick in.

Example:  When on my home network I select 1080p - 4Mbps with no bandwidth limit.    When on the road I set to 720p - 1 Mbps and enable a bandwidth limit.

• Like 1

trusselo

Vote for Both options.  Radio buttons ('or' statements) fix all!

Also ability to set quotas based on amount of data transmitted outside of home network. per user.

I can watch as much as i want but screw the kids.... (if i had any)!

Speaking of kids... add usage hours.  no streaming after bedtime!

Dizzy49

Also ability to set quotas based on amount of data transmitted outside of home network. per user.

Quotas are a good idea, and a natural fit for those with bandwidth caps.

I DO have kids, and I love the idea of usage hours, BUT, there are other things I'd like to see before that :D

Dizzy49

Vote for Both options.  Radio buttons ('or' statements) fix all!

I can watch as much as i want but screw the kids.... (if i had any)!

Actually, the Emby site does say "Specify parental restrictions for users, create access schedules, time limits, and more."

Also, just as a point of order - tacking extra feature requests onto the threads of existing ones is just going to make it harder to keep track of them and have your suggestions get lost in the shuffle :).

The best process for suggesting these is:

1. Investigate the existing settings - maybe its already there
  2. Ask in the appropriate forum about if it is possible
  3. If not, search the feature requests forum for the feature you are requesting
  4. Finally, if not found, create a new thread for your feature explaining exactly what it is and why it would be great

Following that flow will allow us all to see and manage the requests in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Fratopolis

+1 per user

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by Fratopolis

Jdiesel

Lots of requests on this one hopefully we will see something soon. If it is an issue with rate limiting per device due to device id's and such maybe a per user limit would be the best way moving forward in the immediate future.

I'm also going to throw in a request for not only maximium bitrate limits but also minimum bitrate limits. I have one user that continues to stream at a very low quality causing everything to transcode because they want to have something "playing in the background" but don't want to use up their bandwidth. Rather then try to get them to change their usage behavior I'd rather just set a minimum bitrate that will allow most media to direct play. This could also be useful for those with weak severs to avoid them being bogged down with unnecessary transcode jobs.   

I'm also going to throw in a request for not only maximium bitrate limits but also minimum bitrate limits. I have one user that continues to stream at a very low quality causing everything to transcode because they want to have something "playing in the background" but don't want to use up their bandwidth. Rather then try to get them to change their usage behavior I'd rather just set a minimum bitrate that will allow most media to direct play. This could also be useful for those with weak severs to avoid them being bogged down with unnecessary transcode jobs.   

You can already limit a user's ability to cause transcoding.  Look in the User settings under Playback.

Jdiesel

You can already limit a user's ability to cause transcoding.  Look in the User settings under Playback.

Ah so it does. I guess in that case I would have the ability to limit transcoding on a per device basis, for example disable transcoding on the Android TV client but allow it on iOS. I think there is still a place for limiting the minimum bitrate though, the more options the better IMO.

• 2 months later...
computerprep

I don't know how I should vote on this... Why can't I have my cake AND eat it to. Here's my thinking.

1. Keep the hard limit max WAN bitrate option.

2. Also implement an admin-controlled per-user "max bitrate per stream" option.

3. Implement an admin-controlled per-user "max number of simultaneous streams" option to work along with the above control.

4. Add admin-controlled device-based bitrate limit options, but these should not be one blanket maximum... They should be accessible from the devices menu and customizable for different devices.

I have one friend whose phone does fine, but his home theater device is a resource hog. I don't want to limit his user account, and I don't want to limit both his devices to the same setting.

In the absence of any limits for the options listed above, the limit defaults to the previous level of control.

• Like 2