Suggestion: Down for maintenance

ShadeBlack

PuffyToesToo

I found a simple way well kinda - what I have done is set up a folder on c drive with nothing in it except a jpeg with whatever message i want to send out - when i'm doing work on my movie/TV (whatever files) I remove them from the server and place the message folder in .. yea its a little work but at the least I don't call all my family lol... I have been looking at setting a 2nd server with all the same settings but no library - when i'm ready to work on the "real" server Ill take the server off line and turn on the message server.. not the best way of doing things but it works for me.. and the best part the family thinks i'm a genus well sort of..

Please be kind when you blow my system apart :-) 

This is all I do (it's just my parents mind you). I let them know ahead of time if there are any important messages. Additionally, maybe it's possible to set this to play in Cinema Mode prior to them watching anything? I also have simple instructions for them on how to use playlists etc. Of course, this doesn't work on sudden problems that don't work if Emby is down altogether.  This was just my simple workaround for it.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
RanmaCanada

I know I am necroing this post hardcore, and I am sorry.  What about a maintenance mode that force changes the background to say such and maybe the icons on the libraries as well?  I myself am currently at the point where I need to replace a drive on in my array due to failure, and upgrade the parity.

Edited by RanmaCanada

What about a maintenance mode that force changes the background to say such and maybe the icons on the libraries as well?

Agreed that there are good ideas here that would help with system maintenance.

• 1 month later...
rechigo

Maybe something simpler that you guys could try to implement now would be to allow people to at least reach the login page when remote access is disabled, instead of a plain text message that says "Forbidden"

That way, once you have disabled remote access, it's as simple as setting the login disclaimer to something else

Maybe something simpler that you guys could try to implement now would be to allow people to at least reach the login page when remote access is disabled, instead of a plain text message that says "Forbidden"

That way, once you have disabled remote access, it's as simple as setting the login disclaimer to something else

I think that would be a bad security practice as it exposes the fact that the server is there to everyone (hackers).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
theghost31

Hi

This feature could be awesome, I do some backup every two weeks, I would to have a button to enable the maintenance mode :)

Is there any dev on it?

At least a start of something or a draft maybe ?

I will follow this feature in the time to know when it will be ready ')

• 3 months later...
easez88

I think this is a great idea, but a potential workaround is using the api. A simple script to call /users to get the list of users then for each one call /users/{id}/policy and update the isDisabled value to true. This would stop them from logging in and kill all existing connections. Then in Settings change your Logging Disclaimer to and Ongoing Maintenance message. When you are done, run the script again to set isDisabled back to false. 

rbjtech

I think a 'stub' of emby with just a 'Under Maintenance' page and no more would be useful - you could then load this to 'reply', leaving the full emby framework to be changed as required. 

For hardware changes however, then unless the service providing the 'reply' is running on a totally separate device (be it hardware or VM) - then the above is not useful.  If you did have other hardware, then simply change your port forward on your router to point to the temporary emby 'stub' on the other hardware.

Edited by rbjtech

jaycedk

Well I have Ombi. I use that for my maintenance messages.

I run a nginx reverse proxy server, that I redirect to ombi, with the maintenance announcement.

Easy peasy :)..

I know this will not work with any client, other than web clients.

But users have there keb, you send to them when they signed up.

"Check for issues on ombi.sjhdsjh.com"

As all other support tasks, its all about educating your users.

Edited by jaycedk

• 10 months later...
chef

Hi there!

So, perhaps a second web server instance which spins up on the Emby ports to host a maintenance page, or maintenance data? 

Would we host the page at "system/info" since all clients hit that endpoint before anything else?

Would that even work?

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

rbjtech

Hi @chef 

It would work - but imo it's of limited use.   

For a personal media server - then imho I don't think this is required - just message your users as has been said before.   That being said, Emby also has the ability to message the client - so if a message once they login with ADVANCED notice of maintenance may be useful - but how many home users would plan to do that lol ?

If however you are using emby as a more professional' service', then you should be running it with resilience in mind and thus re-directing at a network layer before emby to a backup server (or emby 'stub') should not be difficult via a reverse proxy etc.  Even changing the port forward to another server and/or port would work.

On a personal note - I'm lucky enough to have a full offline copy of my emby setup and all it's storage - it's my backup - so when I do rarely take down my entire server - I simply startup emby up the 'backup' server and re-direct both my internal and external users to that instead (via DNS, no need to update the clients).    If down for a reasonable period, then I may have to restore the users playback status too via the backup/restore plugin.  

• Like 1

pir8radio
On 7/22/2021 at 6:30 AM, rbjtech said:

Hi @chef 

It would work - but imo it's of limited use.   

For a personal media server - then imho I don't think this is required - just message your users as has been said before.   That being said, Emby also has the ability to message the client - so if a message once they login with ADVANCED notice of maintenance may be useful - but how many home users would plan to do that lol ?

If however you are using emby as a more professional' service', then you should be running it with resilience in mind and thus re-directing at a network layer before emby to a backup server (or emby 'stub') should not be difficult via a reverse proxy etc.  Even changing the port forward to another server and/or port would work.

On a personal note - I'm lucky enough to have a full offline copy of my emby setup and all it's storage - it's my backup - so when I do rarely take down my entire server - I simply startup emby up the 'backup' server and re-direct both my internal and external users to that instead (via DNS, no need to update the clients).    If down for a reasonable period, then I may have to restore the users playback status too via the backup/restore plugin.  

but due to emby not supporting a real DB you cant easily sync those two servers while both are running. and without the ability to cluster transcodes you have to start over again.  So there is no automated re-directing without loosing play stats, login status, play position (mid movie), new users added, removed, well any db change.   So at this time full hot standby is not possible for full redundancy..      Though a cold standby in emergencies is great.   

• Like 1

rbjtech

@pir8radio - Agree 100%.  My use case is 'cold standby' (aka my backup) so this works great for me - but yes, a 'proper' DBMS is needed for transactional based updating but I can't see that happening any time soon .. 

• 6 months later...
coltonyyz

Any update on this idea?  Of course, this will only work if your server is connected to the web. I was thinking more like if my server goes offline for some reason, that a page would be displayed. Then I realized, that's not something Emby could assist with. :(

A good option for those wanting to display a "Server Is Down" page, I use NoIP.com and give out that URL to external people. I have the Enhanced Dynamic DNS package. In the settings, there is an option to turn the DNS "Offline" and then you can select one of the 3 options:

Offline IP
Web Redirect
Page

Page is the one they supply and is very basic. But if you have another static page on a different IP, you can point it to that, or you can redirect your DNS to somewhere else.

NoIP has free options but you have to keep "reactivating" your account every 30 days to keep the DNS you selected, so that's why I went with subscribing. I don't have to keep reactivating my DNS. To each their own however.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
usr115

Found this thread looking for a way to show Emby is down for maintenance when someone attempts to access it.

My server does parity checks once a month, so I shut down the docker image to keep from working the hardware too hard.  It'd be nice to have some kind of notice that it's temporarily down for this check.

Here's to hoping!

Armageus

Not seeing why this is needed unless you're running servers with paying users. 

Even if running for extended friends / family I can't imagine they would have a huge problem if your server is down once in a while.

cmdale

I don’t charge anything for my users. They are friends and family. However, I don’t talk to them everyday, and when you go to use something that just seems to have disappeared, they might think it’s gone forever and they don’t try again. I’d rather let them know the outage is temporary.