Shield TV - Emby App - very bad response time after selecting library

Michael_Schmitz

BAS

Still going strong here, but I do notice the app is a little more sluggish then it use to be. No volley errors and so far data/rows all populating correctly still.

CBers

What did you do @@BAS?

I've just cleared data/cache, started the app and hit a VOLLEY TIMEOUT error message.

This is on my Shield.

CBers

There are a helluva lot of these type of messages in the server log, all normal I guess.

2016-05-09 18:25:02.9999 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 0ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
2016-05-09 18:25:03.0619 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 0ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
2016-05-09 18:25:03.0869 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 4ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
Can supply the full server log if needed.

Exited and restarted the app and I got all rows populated, apart from Premieres.

Exit again and restart and all is loaded.

Edited by CBers

BAS

What did you do @@BAS?

I've just cleared data/cache, started the app and hit a VOLLEY TIMEOUT error message.

This is on my Shield.

Unfortunately that's all I did on the Nexus but unfortunately it seems to be more then that like EBR said since all the sudden others having issues.

• Like 1

There are a helluva lot of these type of messages in the server log, all normal I guess.

2016-05-09 18:25:02.9999 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 0ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
2016-05-09 18:25:03.0619 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 0ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
2016-05-09 18:25:03.0869 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemIdsList query time: 4ms. Query: select guid from TypedBaseItems where ParentId=@ParentId
Can supply the full server log if needed.

Exited and restarted the app and I got all rows populated, apart from Premieres.

Exit again and restart and all is loaded.

That sequence of events tells me you are dealing with the same type of thing as the thread I linked to in response to BAS and that it is an issue of server response.

• Like 1

... please bring up Next Up in the web client for this same user and note the time.  Then bring up the app and let it error out.  Then post the server log.  Thx.

If one of you still seeing this issue could do exactly what I requested above, I could discover if there are any differences in the queries for the web client vs. this app that might make some sort of difference.  Thx.

virtualtinker

Here is the link to my log file; it was too big to attach to the post. I am running server version 3.0.5934.0 and debugging has been enabled in the logs. It looks like my ATV client was recently upgraded because it's now mentioning the downmix change that you mentioned in my other thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1323484yj560leg/server-63598435200.txt?dl=0

20:17 - 'Next Up' on the web client

20:25 - 'Next Up TV' on the ATV App on Shield

I think I am getting a better idea what the slowness is, at least from my perspective as I am able to see it both in the ATV client and in the web client.  It looks like the clients are having trouble with loading the images.  In the case of the web client, on the Home page, the little circle was going on a long time before Latest Media was populated, and even longer to display the Active TV recordings before that.  When clicking moves and going to, say, Collections, the circle thing would go on a good 20 seconds before displaying the 55 collection items.  In the case of ATV, if I click on Movies from the Home screen, I'm waiting a good while for the images to populate there as well.  In the case of collections, it looks like it tried to display the image but ultimately timed out as collections totally disappeared from the dash board view.  If I were to go to the all movies view, there would be nothing populated, and maybe 20 seconds later, the movies up through F would appear.  Another 20 or 30 seconds and the movies through M would appear, so on and so forth.  If I completely exit the app, and re-create the steps, the same slow loading of the images takes place; it seems like nothing is being pulled from any kind of cache whatsoever.  In one instance when I went to the all movie view, it looks like it timed out trying to display the movies and gave me a blank screen aside from the filter options at the top.  I backed out and went back in so it attempted to pull the images again, and this time it worked after the long wait.

It could be more than just images failing to load to the client, but it seems to be the more easily noticeable.
Edited by virtualtinker

Thanks. That log also points to a server response issue.  The Next Up queries from the web client and this app took almost an identical amount of time (12.7 seconds) to respond - even though this app requests twice as many as the web client.

I don't really think there is an app issue here or anything I can change on the app side to mitigate the issue.  This just appears to be another instance of this:

very slow loading of nextup & latest items

virtualtinker

Thanks. That log also points to a server response issue.  The Next Up queries from the web client and this app took almost an identical amount of time (12.7 seconds) to respond - even though this app requests twice as many as the web client.

I don't really think there is an app issue here or anything I can change on the app side to mitigate the issue.  This just appears to be another instance of this:

very slow loading of nextup & latest items

I'm inclined to agree with you after seeing similar slowness issues in the web client in the server component serving up content.

Let me know if there's anything I can do in helping to work out the issues on the server response times. And thanks for looking at all this.

• 6 months later...

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !