Guide Slow Loading

Sammy

The Guide on Emby Live TV is excruciatingly slow to load and needs several page advances to get to some of the programming I want to tune. I knew I can set Favorites which show up at the top of the guide but sometimes I'm not looking for a Favorite Channel.

I suspect that the guide needs to parse data from the internet each time i loads but could this be down with some sort of caching scheme to speed things up?

I see this issue with the PlayOn app too so I think it is an issue with Emby that could be improved.

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?

Is something in the works for this?

I have no log to put up as I don't think this is something that will show in the logs.

Thanks.

In what app?

In the web client, my guide populates very quickly.  Takes maybe four or five seconds in the Android TV app (the very first time).

rliepins

In what app?

In the web client, my guide populates very quickly.  Takes maybe four or five seconds in the Android TV app (the very first time).

I actually have the same issue in the web client and iOS client, but especially the Windows 8/10 client.  It is definitely not as fast as the WMC guide and that would be a good benchmark to try and emulate.  For iOS and web, it takes 5 to 10 seconds.  In the Windows 8/10, it takes 15 to 20, if at all.  Sometimes it simply barfs.

• Like 1

I suppose I should have provided a little bit more information.

First off I use ServerWMC to sync with WMC.

Secondly, it is slow to load in the web app, iOS on a Mini Tablet and on my Galaxy 8.4 Pro Tablet on Android 5.x. I don't use Emby Theater (yet).

WMC guide is instant on my HTPC but in Emby, like @reliepins says, takes forever and sometimes simply barfs.. LOL!

I have an inkling that this is related to the same issue that makes the PlayOn plug in slow to load.. the Cache scheme.

Let me add that I have CableCARD tuners with basically all channels so there's several hundred. Loading all that takes time. There needs to be a better cache solution where maybe it is stored locally and updated every hour or so?

mellomade

So you're trying to load several hundred channels you can't actually watch using Emby?  :P

Do you have DRM channels set to hide in ServerWMC?  That might help since you can't do anything with those channels anyway.

So you're trying to load several hundred channels you can't actually watch using Emby?  :P

Do you have DRM channels set to hide in ServerWMC?  That might help since you can't do anything with those channels anyway.

Actually most of them are not DRM / Copy Protected but we don't watch a lot of them. A few things here. Emby still allows a recording to be scheduled when the channel is DRM (I think). The second thing is that WMC doesn't take minutes or just time out loading the guide because it loads to the last section used and only 12 rows rather than the first channel in the list beyond  the up front favorites. when paging down in WMC it is nearly instant. In Emby, it takes another long period of time or it times out. If It needs to have the DRM channels hidden I can do that but don't know how. The thing is that will still be slow because there's still going to be several hundred channels loading. I suppose I could hide all the SD channels but don't know how to do that either.

This slow loading issue effects PlayOn too as it is a large library which needs to load a lot of meta data. too.

mellomade

Since you are using ServerWMC for guide data - you might want to post this in the ServerWMC subsection to see if @@krustyreturns has any ideas.

If you want to disable some of the channels that don't work in Emby - you can do it one of three ways.

1.  Disable the channels in WMC - under Settings - TV - Guide - Edit Channels and deselect the ones that you don't want. 

2.  For DRM only - you can disable them in the Channels tab of ServerWMC.

3.  You can disable specific channels in the firmware of the HDHR3-CC device by going to the http://YOUR_HDHR_IP/lineup.htmland clicking twice on the star icon next to the channel you wish to disable*.  After clicking twice you should see a red circle icon with a line through it.

*Note - you will need the latest firmware from Silicondust to do this.

krustyreturns

To save time, you can make just a subset of your channels visible in Emby.  To do this, you create a channel group in wmc (what wmc calls 'favorites') and in this channel group put the channels you want to see in emby.  Then set swmc to restrict the channels to just this group when sending data to emby.