Decent but Cheap SSL Provider

ThermoDust

ThermoDust

I just made the switch to using SSL for Emby and wanted to help anyone who is looking for an SSL certificate. I didn't want to spend a lot, as you know some are like $100 a year. I found this place https://www.ssls.com/ssl-certificates/comodo-positivessl

They are cheap, $5 a year, but it is a slight pain in the butt for using with Emby. If you go with them you will need to convert the certificate to a compatible version. Plus if you are only running a sub-domain or domain without a web host or e-mail provider like me it is a bigger pain in the butt. For the price you cannot go wrong but be ready to spend an hour or two setting it up with their technical support team.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
kevinmitnick

The Certificate Authorities such as Symantec, Comodo, GeoTrust, Thawte, DigiCert, GlobalSign, GoDaddy, RapidSSL etc. issues an SSL Certificate for websites. You can purchase any SSL Certificate from their.

You can compare SSL Certificate Authority with their reviews at here - https://aboutssl.org/ssl-certificate-reviews

Doonga

Let's Encrypt and SSLMate are both very good, the latter isn't free but they have automated renewals.

• 2 years later...
neik

What are the benefits of using one payed SSL cert instead of the Let's Encrypt ones?

In the past I guess wildcard certs were one but afaik in the meantime they are also available with Let's Encrypt - correct me if I am wrong!

mastrmind11

What are the benefits of using one payed SSL cert instead of the Let's Encrypt ones?

In the past I guess wildcard certs were one but afaik in the meantime they are also available with Let's Encrypt - correct me if I am wrong!

Likely people don't want to be bothered to have to renew the cert every 30 days (or whatever renewals are now), even though it's simple enough to automate.

• Like 1

darkassassin07

You just have to decide if saving couple min of your time 4 times a year is worth the cost of a paid cert :)

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

Swynol

Lets Encrypt but you have to renew every 90 days.  can be done automatically. Also LE will be supporting Wildcard certs soon

also zeroSSL is free but uses lets encrypt.

Edited by Swynol

Also LE will be supporting Wildcard certs soon

Aren't they already supported by them? I thought I already read about it a couple of weeks ago.

Swynol

Aren't they already supported by them? I thought I already read about it a couple of weeks ago.

originally it was meant to be Jan 18. They then delayed until March i think it was. Just checked now and although it says -Update, April 27, 2018

ACME v2 and wildcard support are fully available since March 13, 2018. I think there was issue which were resolved in June. So Wildcards should be a thing now! makes life a little easier, although I now use Cloudflare certs between user and cloudflare and then lets encrypt between cloudflare and my servers. 

EDIT. read a bit more. looks like wildcards are only available using DNS verification, which means it alot harder to automate a renewal compared to TXT verification. 

Edited by Swynol
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
stefan129

Hey everyone,

I found this great deal at cheapsslshop. They're not only affordable but also have fantastic customer support. Plus, they help you set up your SSL for free! It's worth checking out for an easy and budget-friendly SSL setup.

• 3 weeks later...
R_Walter

The decent, trusted and reliable SSL certificates available at https://www.ssl2buy.com/ 

I have been buying SSL certificates from SSL2BUY for the last many years. I am happy with the price, support, and renewal they provided.