Playstate/resume Sync Issues

DexDeadly

DexDeadly

Hello all,

So after much debate and some small testing I've decided to replace my MySQL database with the Emby server.  I like the ability that I get with streaming to the app and I have purchased the app.  I was going to just use it for remote access to my library but when I saw that the new plugin worked directly with the local kodi library and that I can sync my play states I decided this needed to happen.  So I've gone ahead and did a new Kodi install on my windows machine to do some testing.  Currently I have all of my files on 2 drives in a Nas4Free machine.  I currently have them shared as CIFS/SMB and NFS shares.  I have installed emby server on a VM with Ubuntu 14.04LTS.  I can access the server and I have it running.  In order to access my shares I have mounted the 2 CIFS/SMB shares to /mnt/Movies and /mnt/TV.  I can't seem to get NFS to work within emby for some reason.  Within Emby I then went ahead and mapped to the /mnt/Movies and /mnt/TV with no issues. It seems to load all the data as well with no issues.  

If I play a movie within kodi, and then stop it.  I can look at the app or webpage and its showing that movie where I left off.  If I start playing that movie on the application on my phone or via the Web get so far and then stop it, well pause since the app and web only allow pause.  If I close out of the movie.  I go back to Kodi that spot is not there and then the previous spot is then synced to Emby again.

Angelblue05

Sorry, but what version of the emby for kodi add-on are you using? Can you test using the emby webclient? Just start playback in Kodi, end it in a resumable spot. Then try resuming in the webclient and stopping it, again where you can resume from. Check the webclient, does it look like it remembers the playback position to start? If it does, is Kodi updated?

I've had this issue where sometimes closing the stream in the webclient (via phone, anyway) doesn't seem to properly end the stream (I lose the resume point I was at). Anyway, let me know the outcome of the test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DexDeadly

Hey Angel what you describe is exactly what i seem to have. i am using 15 2 kodi and Emby Server Version 3.0.5782.0.  ive also installed the Kodi Sync plugin as well.  it does now seem using the app is working perfect which makes me extremely happy.  It only seems to be doing it on the web. which really ill not be usimg the Web probably so its not a huge deal. Now if Kodi on the Pi would not be insanely slow with syncing Ill be even better.

Edited by DexDeadly
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Improvement to the initial sync (speedwise) is available in the beta version of emby for Kodi. However I would not suggest it for your main device (it's beta so you might experience a few bugs).

It will eventually come to stable, once all the bugs have been squashed. The forums going down isn't helping speed this up, but it seems to be better for the past few hours.

DexDeadly

Hey Angel, Thanks for the tip!  I live with my software always almost beta so I might do it and check it out haha.  I went and actually just cleared the dbs in both my kodi installs and then resetup the directorys on emby server.  Now I can start on my one kodi.  Hit stop, load the app and resume from that point, then stop on the phone and then go to my living room install of Kodi on my Pi and it plays from where I stopped on the app on my phone.  This is awesome and what I was looking for.  Completely synced media. After a reboot and refresh of everything it seems even the web page is syncing correctly now as well.  Thanks for the help.  I never understood the reasoning for the backends as I always just used the MySQL backend but now for playing outside my home I completely get it lol.  I have used Kodi since it was XBMC on the original XBOX and I still have it in a box in my room lol. 

So here is something I noticed though.  If I use the app to send the resume state to Kodi it does not work and resets it.  This is only if I use the app and connect to Kodi using the icon up top.  Is this is a known issue or maybe you can test and let me know if you have the issue as well?  So basically start a movie and stop it on Kodi.  Then go to the phone and on the emby app look for the video under resume and then hit the cast icon up at the top and choose your Kodi player.  Then hit play and hit resume.  It starts the movie completely over.  

Edited by DexDeadly
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

No, can't say I can replicate. Works fine here. Enable the add-on log level set to Info (under the advanced tab). Repeat the steps, and post your Kodi log. Thanks

Edited by Angelblue05

DexDeadly

Hello Angleface, sorry for the delay in my response.  I will be testing this again tonight.  I'm currently reformatting and setting up my pi to be a clean install.  My previous installation that was pointing to a MySQL database didn't seem to work right and it kept trying to revert back to the database even though I had pulled the advanced settings.xml file that I had setup. I should have this tested in a few hours and will report back.  

Angelblue05

Ok, no rush, I'm fixing some other stuff at the same time... So I'm still around for a few more hours :)

DexDeadly

Sorry about that, had some internet issues over the past few days.  Which log do you want to see.  I may be changing my server setup but I can still set this up.

Angelblue05

Just the Kodi log that captures the issue (trying to Play To Kodi with resume not working). Make sure the add-on log level is set to Info and the Kodi debug is disabled. Thanks :)

DexDeadly

Alright let me go ahead and make sure it is set correctly and then go ahead and get the logs.  What I'm wondering is this.  I currently have it setup this way so I dont know if this is causing the issue.  The server is linux lts box.  I have samba shares mounted as /mnt/movies and /mnt/tv .  These are cifs shares mounted from my Nas4Free machine.  I don't know if this has a hand in it or not.  I have Kodi on a Windows Machine and a Pi.  I think the mix matching of OS's is making this more difficult.  One thing is its always streaming and I'd like to have it just play from local machine instead of having to transcode.  I'll be testing this soon and will get you the log 

Angelblue05

Direct streaming is the next best thing after Direct play (essentially, direct play: Kodi plays the file directly, direct stream: Emby feeds the file to Kodi as is). Transcode is cpu intensive, while direct stream is not.

Anyway, if you use smb, just make sure your path are formatted as: 

\\{servername}\path\to\share

with the help of path substitution in the Emby dashboard > library. Then in the add-on settings, disable play from http. You will be able to test playback in real time to see if it works (and adjust your path substitution, if it doesn't). Don't forget to add network credentials if you need them to access your shares from Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05

DexDeadly

OK, I just reproduced it, where do I get the log from.

Also when I tried to setup \\server\Movies it says emby has no access.  Now the question I guess is do I need to place the credentials within Emby, if so where?  I can't even add the folder to the server.

Angelblue05

In the add-on settings > playback tab > network credentials (username and password).

If you type \\server\Movies in the windows explorer, does it work and bring you to the content location?

DexDeadly

I know how to add them in the add-on settings, I saw that.  What I'd like to know is how to I add samba shares to a Emby Linux server?  I'm thinking about going back to a Windows server, however last time I ran this on Win 2012 it caused my entire ESXi machine to become unresponsive.  I don't know if I'd like to repeat that again.  Unless I feel I am missing something.  Also I reproduced, where should I grab this kodi log from?

Angelblue05

If you need help to set up your library in Emby, I would suggest posting server side so you get the best help: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/116-linux/. I don't run my server on Linux so I'm unable to help you with this, sorry. If you were using Windows, maybe a bit more but I'm really no server expert  :(

To grab the Kodi log, check our "How to" thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

Edited by Angelblue05

DexDeadly

I am posting in the linux forums now, thank you for that and here is the part of the logfile I'm guessing is going on. 

22:24:43 T:13096   ERROR: ERROR:root:global name 'seekToTime' is not defined
22:24:43 T:13096  NOTICE: .
22:24:43 T:13096   ERROR:   File "C:\Users\Dex.OFFICE\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.emby\resources\lib\websocket.py", line 894, in _callback
22:24:43 T:13276  NOTICE:  fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 608, pheight: 336, dwidth: 608, dheight: 336
22:24:43 T:13276  NOTICE: Display resolution DESKTOP : 1920x1080@ 59.94 - Full Screen (16)
22:24:43 T:13832  NOTICE: CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket skipping a packets of duration 24
22:24:44 T:13096  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:     callback(self, *args)
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:   File "C:\Users\Dex.OFFICE\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.emby\resources\lib\WebSocketClient.py", line 97, in on_message
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:     PlaybackUtils().PLAYAllItems(itemIds, startPositionTicks)
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:   File "C:\Users\Dex.OFFICE\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.emby\resources\lib\PlaybackUtils.py", line 402, in PLAYAllItems
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:     self.seekToPosition(seekTime)
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:   File "C:\Users\Dex.OFFICE\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.emby\resources\lib\PlaybackUtils.py", line 368, in seekToPosition
22:24:44 T:13096   ERROR:     while xbmc.Player().getTime() < (seekToTime - 5) and count < 11: # only try 10 times

that seekToTime to me sounds to me to be the issue.  :) Let me know.

Angelblue05

Yep, Thanks. I will see if we can patch it in stable, since the issue doesn't exists in beta.

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Can someone give this build a try (Just install from zip over the current version)? Let me know if it resolves the issue.

• Like 1

DexDeadly

This seems to of broke my setup.  Since I've installed this version in Kodi it keeps telling me The file no longer exists and if I want to remove it from the library.  The file is there, nothing has changed on that end.  I can play it with no issues from within the Web front end.   I'm going to try and roll back and see if it fixes this issue.  

This did not fix my issue.  I do see a new version of the server is out so I am going to update.  However the issue seems to be with the latest kodi plugin.  

Edited by DexDeadly

Angelblue05

I changed one line in the code that could not possibly do this. Something happened to your paths previous to this. Is it all of content doing this?