Nexus Player Live TV forced transcode

das7002

interesting, it must have something to do with changing the file extension that makes them disappear from my auto created recorded TV area.

Live TV works in 1.1.24g! It shows Direct/V on playback screen as well.

However, I did find a bug, if I open up the guide during playback (the one that continues playback while looking at it) the video is still "direct" but incredibly stuttery and continues like that until the app is completely restarted, but has zero issues if playback is stopped (pressing back) to return to guide and then picking another channel.

Not really that big of an issue to me, but I figured I should at least mention it.

Quick edit: There is some very occasional frame skip/stuter too, but it seems more like that could be a network issue as the Nexus Player I'm testing with is the farthest from WiFi AP. It's only done that once in the 10ish minutes I've had a 1080i channel playing.

Edited by das7002

• 2 weeks later...

Is live TV from Emby supposed to direct play the channels now from the HDHR3-CC "Prime"?  cause at this time mine does not.   Last I checked I had version 1.1.27g I believe.

Live tv has been working for me since 1.1.24g, and yes with the HDHomeRun Prime

Hardware Model	HDHR3-CC
Firmware Version	20150826
DTCP-IP	DTCP 1.7-SD20140607
WMDRM-NDT	WMDRM 10-SD20130219
Memory Report	64 MB SDRAM, 2 MB Flash
Edited by das7002

Mine works but it transcodes.  I have VLC on and direct play checked off but when I go to the channel and start playing it, it lists as transcoded.  I can tell right away as it take a little while to start the stream.

I've checked my version of the firmware on the HDHR3-CC and the version on my emby client on the NP.  All is up 2 date.

Anything else I can check or change?

thanks,

I stated it incorrectly.  I do have VLC and Direct Play checked.

After restarting the NP all started working as it should.   Now the live TV channels are showing Direct/V where before they were Trans/I or something.

Thanks!

Larry

• 1 month later...

Happy holidays guys - I have been reading this and other direct play threads and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get it to work on my Nexus Player running 1.1.41g on server 3.0.5781.8.  My HDHR prime firmware is 20150826 and using embyTV for live TV.  I have both Direct stream live TV and play using VLC player checked but every time i go to play live tv it transcodes (HD or SD, doesn't matter).  I have tried to disabled the VLC and leave direct stream but it still transcodes.  I have also tried the other way, enabled VLC and disabled direct stream - still transcoding.  So i am not sure what i am doing wrong here.  I mimic'd the screenshots and rebooted the NP, but still no direct stream.  Is there something else that I need to do in order to get this working?  Thanks in advance!

Since having posted this, I continued to work this issue and i found out that you must first select "Use VLC for Playback" and "Direct Stream Live TV" and then reboot the Nexus Player.  So if the Emby opens and both of those are not checked, it will Transcode.  So that's one issue that isn't made apparent went enabled.  

So now that Direct Stream is working, i noticed that SD channels dont work so great.  It is constantly trying to find the correct display format and is very choppy on the video.  It's almost like for 2 seconds its 4:3 then it will switch to something wider for 1 second, then immediately back to 4:3.  This will continue until i uncheck Direct Stream (reverts to transcode immediately without a NP reboot btw).  However, the audio is fine.  

Under normal circumstances i wouldn't be watching any SD content but my kid loves Disney Junior and sadly FiOS only has that as an SD channel.  I would provide logs but not sure if the server log would have what you need to see.  Let me know.  Thanks. 

If something is requiring a reboot of the NP then it must be a HDMI handshake issue of some sort I would think.

So now that Direct Stream is working, i noticed that SD channels dont work so great.  It is constantly trying to find the correct display format and is very choppy on the video.  It's almost like for 2 seconds its 4:3 then it will switch to something wider for 1 second, then immediately back to 4:3.  This will continue until i uncheck Direct Stream (reverts to transcode immediately without a NP reboot btw).  However, the audio is fine.  

I have seen this with some SD channels.  The player just seems to get very confused about the stream and how it should be displayed.

A rather strange work-around that I have found to fix it is the following procedure.

If a channel is doing this, do the following:

1) Bring up the on-screen guide and let it populate

2) Dismiss the guide

3) Hit a button to cause the OSD to show

4) Dismiss the OSD

In most cases the video should be playing properly now.

mikecortez

For the life of me I cannot get direct streaming to work with live tv. I am using a Hauppauge dcr-2650 which is a usb cable card tuner so I am using nextpvr and the emby plug-in. I can record and playback the ts stream directly on the Nexus player with no issues. I've also noticed that my nexus phone will also cause the server to transcode if I use the emby app but if I use vlc player and input the url for the channel it'll play without transcoding. Am I doing something wrong or is this a case of using an unsupported tuner?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For the life of me I cannot get direct streaming to work with live tv. I am using a Hauppauge dcr-2650 which is a usb cable card tuner so I am using nextpvr and the emby plug-in. I can record and playback the ts stream directly on the Nexus player with no issues. I've also noticed that my nexus phone will also cause the server to transcode if I use the emby app but if I use vlc player and input the url for the channel it'll play without transcoding. Am I doing something wrong or is this a case of using an unsupported tuner?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Emby server relies on information about the stream provided to it by the Live TV provider.  For our built-in service, this is enough information to know it can direct-stream.  For that particular setup (NPVR/Tuner) it may not be.  I would look in the NPVR thread for similar questions.

If the stream doesnt have mediainfo attached, the server will have no choice but to transcode of course. LiveTv is usually wrapped in mpeg2 or h264 and usually with ac3, but without mediainfo the system cannot know this. It will resort to transcoding. You need to "force directstream" which is what feeding the url to vlc is doing.

@@ebr how does your app handle missing mediainfo? Is the "directstream livetv" setting akin to forcing? You can probably see where I am headed. The word of the day is "playmethod". :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

The option in the app is really an auto setting (that's why it is labeled as "allow").  So, if it is enabled, we will direct stream if we can determine that it is definitely going to work.

I know an option to force this regardless of the information we have is what you want and while that would be really awesome for the 2% of you that know exactly what that means and what would be required for it to work, the other 98% would get themselves in all sorts of trouble and we would be trashed for simply not working.

A hidden setting that has a test you have to take. Say a db of 100 questions. It asks you 10 things from those. You get them right you get the force direct stream option. This would make it work to get the option. Those wanting it will do that work, and take the test and pass. Those who dont pass the option stays hidden. I know this is a ludicrous thing to have. A test you take to see if you understand the option before it is enabled seems silly. But in the scheme of things this would allow the feature and keep it hidden from users who dont understand it. Just food for thought. Trying to please both sides without alienating either side. Think of it like those "you must be this tall to ride" signs they have at amusement parks. Just an idea, maybe a poor one.. Heh

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Smok@zz

ebr - thanks for the suggestion.  It appears though that once you get direct streaming to work, you can enable/disable at will and it will direct stream when enabled and transcode when uncheck.  So that works as it should, it just takes a reboot to get there.

Now there is a more serious issue to deal with that is showing with direct stream.  At first the video and auido plays great, then slowly over time (maybe 10-20 seconds, the video starts to stutter.  Then the audio begins to stutter with pixelated video.  around the 3 minute mark, the pixelation become intermittent and looks like a video that is running at 1 frame per second with audio dropping constantly.  

Now i will say that i am running my NP wirelessly but i don't have this same issue when the stream is being transcoded - nor do i have the issue when playing back anything from DVR.  There aren't any errors showing in the logs so im unsure how to proceed as there is nothing failing, at least as far as the logs are concerned:

2016-01-04 16:59:52.8205 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.3. Time: 16ms. http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/LiveTv/Channels/eb1cdfba390350d86fb4c93296ed64a9?userId=973a411940d74b2fa26d5ccfd71fb470&format=json
2016-01-04 16:59:52.9765 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 6.0.1; Nexus Player Build/MMB29M)
2016-01-04 16:59:52.9765 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.3. Time: 0ms. http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress
2016-01-04 16:59:53.0701 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/LiveTv/Channels/eb1cdfba390350d86fb4c93296ed64a9?userId=973a411940d74b2fa26d5ccfd71fb470&format=json. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 6.0.1; Nexus Player Build/MMB29M)
2016-01-04 16:59:53.0857 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.3. Time: 16ms. http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/LiveTv/Channels/eb1cdfba390350d86fb4c93296ed64a9?userId=973a411940d74b2fa26d5ccfd71fb470&format=json
2016-01-04 16:59:53.3197 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/LiveTv/Channels/eb1cdfba390350d86fb4c93296ed64a9?userId=973a411940d74b2fa26d5ccfd71fb470&format=json. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 6.0.1; Nexus Player Build/MMB29M)

If you would like me to try anything to resolve this, please let me know.  Thanks.

• 11 months later...

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !