Shield TV direct play issues but transcoding is fine

Airz5

Ok, I've done some testing. Turns out AC3 is the problem with "Audio output" set to "direct". If I change it to "compatible" it works.

You still want logs?

Ok, I've done some testing. Turns out AC3 is the problem with "Audio output" set to "direct". If I change it to "compatible" it works.

You still want logs?

It works but you only get stereo.  That sounds like the exact same problem I encountered on the new Fire TV but it has never been an issue on my NP.

Yes, please try and generate a log as maybe there will be a message I can decipher that will help.  Keep in mind I get a limited log report so don't wait long - just try and play, confirm the problem then stop and go immediately to the home page and send the log.  Thx.

Thanks, I got the log but, unfortunately, don't get enough of it to see where the playback problems are.  Sounds like exactly the same thing as the new FTV though so it may have to do with a particular Android version.

I'll have to test out DD on my NP now that it has updated to 6.0.

No, there's nothing you can do thanks.  I think this is the same issue as on the new Fire TV.  My Nexus Player still passes thru AC3 fine so maybe it is something specific with Android 5.1 which is what your Shield is also running.

Looks like I'm just going to have to limit AC3 direct playback to the NP for now.  I'll get that up in a beta build sometime today.

Steven Giles

Okay, AC3 content should play fine on your Shield once you get 1.1.13 (albeit in stereo).

So far it's playing fine on my Android tv. Thanks ebr.

Well, I have the same problem, AC3 files are out of sync; trailers/movies/shows. Hope this gets fixed soon (not updated Emby last few days). Of course I want AC3 surround to function :)

I need you Shield guys to confirm if this DD problem is back for you in 1.1.16.  Thanks.

Sill question, should this version being showing up in the store?  Or does it need to be sideloaded somehow?

I have the same issues with some TV Shows on my Sony Android TV and its not only in the Emby app. Plex has the same issues. The inbuilt Sony Player plays those files fine

Sill question, should this version being showing up in the store?  Or does it need to be sideloaded somehow?

It is a beta version.  You need to be in the open beta.

I have the same issues with some TV Shows on my Sony Android TV and its not only in the Emby app. Plex has the same issues. The inbuilt Sony Player plays those files fine

Using what version of the Emby app?

Pirlo1966

What a relief. I thought I blew it somewhere.

So, same here on my Shield console: movies play back fine but TV episodes stutter, sound is out of sync and subs are very ugly.

What a relief. I thought I blew it somewhere.

So, same here on my Shield console: movies play back fine but TV episodes stutter, sound is out of sync and subs are very ugly.

If you read this thread, it doesn't really have anything to do with TV.  It has to do with the audio stream being AC3 (DD).

Pirlo1966

If you read this thread, it doesn't really have anything to do with TV.  It has to do with the audio stream being AC3 (DD).

I was using the latest 'official' version of the emby app but noticed after reading here and subscribing to the open beta, the app version changed to 1.17 or even 1.19

Problem indeed disappeared but so is 5.1 sound. All stereo now. Anyway, stereo is better than the stutter and sync issues.

I understand it has nothing to do with TV. It happens to be that all movies I have are HD-DTS or true HD, and almost all TV series are DD.

Obviously a software update on the Shield buggered up DD just like it is on the new Fire TV.

Good to know that our stereo workaround still works on the Shield.

Hopefully, a future update of Android on Shield will correct it.

pclausen

I currently have a Roku 3 directly connected to a TV via HDMI that only does 2.0 audio.  As a result, all my media gets transcoded by Emby to allow playback.  Would the Shield eliminate transcoding in this scenario?

I also have content where the audio is encoded in FLAC, which also requires the Emby server to transcode, even on Roku's connected to AVRs with 5.1 or greater speaker systems.  Would the shield prevent the Emby server from transcoding in this situation?

If not, are there any devices, other than an actual HTPC that can completely eliminate the Emby server from transcoding?

Assuming all other aspects are compatible with it, I believe those audio formats would direct stream to any of these devices (Shield, NP, Fire TV).

I also have content where the audio is encoded in FLAC, which also requires the Emby server to transcode, even on Roku's connected to AVRs with 5.1 or greater speaker systems.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=263128

Before you give up on the roku see the post above. Gave you credit for the find. There are some hidden talents being used here. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Hi @@Airz5

@

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !

• 7 months later...
x-cimo

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just got a new Sony X900E and everything works perfectly except live TV direct stream; just like the OPs the video shutter quite a bit and audio get out of sync. I've tried with the external player option and it does the same thing.

The TV is running Android 7, everything at the latest version.

Not too sure if anyone got to the root of this problem?