Realtime monitoring of network share ?

lordvader

lordvader

Hey all.

I understand that real time monitoring only works for certain file systems. I have two questions :

1. What are the supported file systems (can't find this list anywhere)
  2. Can real time monitoring work on network shares (as my library is stored on a NAS, and accessed via an nfs share)

I don't think there is a definitive list anywhere.  Personally, I have had it work fine with any Windows file system and with UnRaid - both on network shares.

Until a few weeks ago this feature only worked running Emby on Windows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

in the next release this feature is being removed from non-windows installations so i wouldn't worry about it. for now it's available but off by default.

mizhgan

Hello.

Could i know the reason for removing (and even not allowing for optionally on) this feature from non-windows installations?

Becouse this works perfectly well on my Debian XFS-filesystem installation.

because users are enabling it, it's causing problems on operating systems where it doesn't work well, and then we end up having to help them clean up the mess. i will add a command line switch -allowrealtimemonitor that will allow it to be used. Not sure how to apply it to the debian package but @@fc7 will know.

Once the command line switch is enabled we will update the scripts and configuration files for every package. Only two questions @@Luke is this feature expected to work with any type of local filesystem (xfs, ext4, etc)? But not to work with locally mounted network resources like nfs and smb, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

well no, i think it should be off by default and i don't think you should use it at all. forget about the switch. i'll try to handle it via a hidden config setting.

• 2 months later...
andrew0404

The thing is this is a huge feature, and without any form of realtime updating it makes Emby not a viable solution for some of us.  I understand if realtime file monitoring is not an option, and it might not be for me since I am running a fuse file system (mhddfs).  But is there some sort of an alternative?  A message that can be sent to only add a particular title for example?  Performing a complete library scan every time a new show is added puts a lot of stress on the system that it doesn't need to have. 

I have looked everywhere for a solution on this.  I have a trial version of Emby server running, and before I attempt a migration from a Kodi shared database, I must have this feature, or a viable alternative.

• Like 1

pt1xoom

Personally, I set the "Scan Media Library" job to every 30 minutes.  On my system, it only take about 10 minutes to run.

hurricanehrndz

@@Luke

What about if on Linux we use the tools from the system to send an api call to emby to scan new directories found by the file watcher utils?

• Like 1

I had just heard of Emby yesterday, and was sold on the idea of it automatically updating the media library minutes after there are changes. Spent many hours migrating libraries and battling the buggy web UI. This thread saddens me now though. I'm in the exact same boat as @@andrew0404

Edited by Enesce

andrew0404

Ok, thought that didn't work either till I realized somehow I had 2 instances running.  It seems that using mhddfs that the realtime monitoring works fine.  I am pretty sure if it works with a fuse file system it will work for ext3/4 as well.  The components of my drive pool are ext4.  I tested it with an empty library, and am now rescanning all of my files.  I will see if it works on the full library after that.  Very excited, it worked for both movies and tv.  Please do not remove the ability to enable this function.

Thanks Luke!

Edited by andrew0404

yea there are probably some distros and file systems that it is stable for and can be added back to the UI, but we just need to identify what they are first.

Capt.Insano

Just to confirm Realtime Monitoring works perfectly with Emby Docker (current non-testing version) on unRAID.

Many Thanks!

Well done guys. I think for Linux I will put the toggle back into the UI and we'll see what distros and versions of mono it works well on. For BSD and OSX it will continue to be hidden as we've seen some definite instability there.

neroasintos

Hello,

Got a few issues with the realtime monitor function and I could use some help. I got a VPS with 6 cores and 8GB on Ubuntu server 14.04 who's sole purpose is to run emby and transmission torrent client. The trouble I face with is that it doesn't work and I would like to start debugging it, while sharing what I find, here. I'm not an expert in linux but from what i've learned so far, all errors belong to logs so the first question would be: where do I find the log associated with realtime monitor function errors?

From the web interface I have this:

Cache:
/var/lib/emby-server/cache

Logs:
/var/lib/emby-server/logs

Metadata:
/var/lib/emby-server/data/metadata

Transcoding temporary files:
/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp

I did tail -30 on the latest server-somenumbers.txt and all i got is some http connection logs. I also played around with the /emby-server/config/config.xml and I set <RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay>10</RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay> and

<EnableLibraryMonitor>True</EnableLibraryMonitor> and even <EnableLibraryMonitor>Enabled</EnableLibraryMonitor> but somehow, after service emby-server restart , it always falls back to <EnableLibraryMonitor>Auto</EnableLibraryMonitor>  and <RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay>40</RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay> .  The "40" value represents the interval in seconds at which library folders are checked for changes?

Also worth mentioning I played around with the config xml with emby turned off, starting it back on after saving the changes.

The folder who contains my movies is /home/TORENT/muvi and I already chowned recursively to emby:emby + chmod 777 since its common with transmission's downloads directory.

According to the rules, i've attached the most recent server log.

Sorry in advance if I broke any of the rules, I did do a search before posting here and I didn't find what I was looking for.

server-63587562278.txt

Edited by neroasintos

neroasintos

Already tried with "Enabled" , no success.

Also, if Ubuntu 14.04 has issues with this function I can install any other linux distribution. I really miss the monitor function :)

And I was thinking if no viable solution arises in my case, is there any other way to force a refresh on detection or to replicate the above mentioned magic function?

post-103181-0-00707100-1451964339_thumb.png

Edited by neroasintos