Realtime monitoring of network share ?

lordvader

neroasintos

In that case, where can I dig around for more info about the code behind this function?

Is there any other way to force a refresh on detection or to replicate the above mentioned magic function?

It is enabled according to your log so it looks like you were successful in turning it on. If  you make changes in a directory and you don't see log entries similar to:

//folder/file reports change

then it's just not supported by the mono runtime for your environment and/or file system.

neroasintos

Hmmmm...

If this should be the culprit, where do I find some logs for it?

How is it connected to Emby or where is the mono function called in the realtime monitor script?

Where can I find the realtime monitor function script?

What linux distribution is the most "mono" friendly?

The "40" from <RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay>40</RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay> value represents the interval in seconds at which library folders are checked for changes?

OS is a fresh install Ubuntu 14.04.03, mono seems to be enabled and no trace of errors in the OS logs. I have uploaded a printscreen of mono --version output

Thanks in advance :)

post-103181-0-56793600-1451968524_thumb.png

Edited by neroasintos

You have mono 4.2.1 which is very new and I know others have used it on ubuntu so i'm surprised at your lack of success.

That being said, we depend entirely on mono for this feature, so if those events aren't firing, there's nothing from the emby side that can be done to fix it.

I do see this on the mono website so maybe this might help

What are the issues with FileSystemWatcher?
The Mono implementation of FileSystemWatcher has a number of backends, the most optimal one, the one with fewer dependencies is the inotify-backend (available in Mono 1.1.17 and newer versions).

With this backend the kernel provides Mono with updates on any changes to files on the file system but it requires an inotify-enabled kernel, which only newer Linux distributions ship.

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/faq/technical/

neroasintos

Thank you very much Luke, for all the info. I will go on and see what I can dig about Mono.

So far i have tried similar software but Emby is the prize winner for me therefore I will keep a close eye on its forums and help when and where I can :)

That mono article looks old so I am guessing by now the ubuntu kernel has this feature. Is the path local or does it map to a network path? If the storage is on the network then realtime changes are generally more difficult to accomplish.

neroasintos

The storage is local (forgot to mention the VPS is 1.2 TB) and the owner is emby along with its group. So far it seems like mono has a fallback function if "watchdog" fails, currently looking into log for errors.

When you get the next stable release this setting should be back in the UI, so no config file needed.

• 2 months later...
Sireone

The feature is working for me.  The question I have is, why does it have to scan the entire library instead of just what was just added?  I have over 2000 videos and the scan takes over 45 mins each time.  In comparison, Watchdog on Kodi will literally take less than 10 seconds to scan (and that includes metadata download).  Am I missing something?  Is there an option to only scan newly added content?

Sireone

It's an area of improvement that we can make in the future

Got it, so what I get below is expected for now?

5701dc414f95f_Snap5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
horstepipe

hey

is the option

<RealtimeLibraryMonitorDelay>

not available anymore in system.xml?

What does it exactly do?

Cerothen

Got it, so what I get below is expected for now?

5701dc414f95f_Snap5.jpg

That's a pretty long time. I run my server in vms lxc containers and the emby library is accessed over samba but even with 3k movies and 25k episodes with meta data on the disk it's only 15-20 mins.

Sireone

That's a pretty long time. I run my server in vms lxc containers and the emby library is accessed over samba but even with 3k movies and 25k episodes with meta data on the disk it's only 15-20 mins.

Tell me about it.  When I add one movie to watch with the family, we all have to wait at least 15 minutes when I force an update and wait for it to appear in Kodi.  In contrast, Watchdog on Kodi took less that 15 seconds to scan that movie in WITH the metadata.  Not sure why Emby can't use the same technology, or at least work with the dev to make it a plugin.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Watchdog

mgworek

My scans on my my server that is running accessing my files locally on my unraid box (emby is a docker in it) take that long as well. I only run a scan once a week now. Thank god for Sonarr. It tells emby I have a new show and it doesn't kick off a scan, it just adds it. Couch potato will set of a scan so I don't notify Emby. Only thing I miss about Plex are the quick library scans.