v0.592 Released

cmcg

In the absence of our friend @@chessdragon136 we have taken up the challenge to move the Emby Samsung client project forward.

This first release of the new forked code was updated by me and beta tested by experienced forum members.

All other install instructions remain the same and can be seen here.

You can return to ChessDragon's main branch at any time by replacing the IP address 173.230.139.54

Release Notes:

<TL-DR>
New Emby app icon (thanks to @shorty1483).
Fixed subtitles not displayed.
Improved UI during playback.
Start-up splashscreen.
Native DTS-ES 6.1 audio support.

56043305666a4_0592DisplayUI.png

Detailed Change Log
v0.591
New Emby app icon (thanks to shorty1483) and improved tools menu logo.
Fixed subtitles not displayed using JSON parser.
New player display on play, pause, FF and RW, inclusing cover art and time.
Subtitles move when player display or info display are on screen. No need to pause.
Subtitle display respects Server Subtitles user preference when audio language is known.
Support for multi-line subtitles.
Fixed Subtitles menu not keeping track of currently playing subtitle language.
Subtitle background fully transparent.
v0.592
Went back to SRT subtitle parser.
Handle Play, Pause, FF and RW when GuiPlayer tools menu is open.
30 second FF and 10 second RW.
Start-up splashscreen added.
Tomato and star ratings shown in player display.
Support DTS-ES 6.1 audio without transcoding.
Better identification of Samsung Home Theatre System models.

Edited by cmcg
  • Like 10

Nice work @.

v0.592 working well here :)

NB. To get new Emby icon in your Smart Hub, you'll need to power off/on after the update is installed.

SilentAssassin

Cheers, just updated one of my 3 TV's. Looks good so far.

If you're taking feature requests I'd love trailer support for my movies, it's a pain at the moment looking at the selection using the TV app but then needing to "cast" the trailer to the TV from my tablet.

Also, I remember seeing a version of the app someone had modified which made the app have high resolution graphics, posters and fanart and it looked so much better, if possible that change as well.

shorty1483

Also, I remember seeing a version of the app someone had modified which made the app have high resolution graphics, posters and fanart and it looked so much better, if possible that change as well.

That was mine (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23916-emby-v0588-1080p-version/), more a proof of concept because as public release it would exclude all TV users with models < 2013. On the other side it needs to be discussed or polled how much users really use a real old model manufactured before 2012. An alternative way could be to go on the 720p way, and not 1080p.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 3

What's interesting to me is to find specific guidelines from Samsung on what will and will not allow us to get the app into their app store, so that far more people can enjoy this thing. Speaking for myself I'd want those high-res images, but lets see if we can delve into the guidelines and see what is likely to get it thrown out of Samsung certification.

• Like 1

shorty1483

What's interesting to me is to find specific guidelines from Samsung on what will and will not allow us to get the app into their app store, so that far more people can enjoy this thing. Speaking for myself I'd want those high-res images, but lets see if we can delve into the guidelines and see what is likely to get it thrown out of Samsung certification.

http://www.samsungdforum.com/support/beginningforsmarttv

https://www.samsungdforum.com/UxGuide/2014/01_principles_for_designing_applications_for_samsung_smart_tv.html#ux-01

Resolution possibilities depend also on the SDK that is used (older one vs. actual).

Getting the app into the Store seems a very long during and comßplicated process, since Samsung Smart TV Team tests the app on all different model rows submitted for. For details, you could contact Orca, the author of the Plex Samsung app. He knows about the whole submitting process. A little infos are in his thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/45444/from-the-developers-if-there-is-any-news-its-in-here

http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home

Edited by shorty1483

paulsalter

Thanks for the update

IMO, I like the new splash screen, nicer than it just sitting with Connecting in the top corner

So far it works really well, my Samsung is an old 2012 model, so not sure how much longer it will keep going, but so far so good

FrostByte

Is the image on the SS free domain?  I would just make it a big Emby symbol with a slogan if Emby has one

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Is the image on the SS free domain? I would just make it a big Emby symbol with a slogan if Emby has one

I agree, if it stays ;)

FrostByte

Also remove the time (that's in the next screen anyway) and center the version number in my opinion.  It's kind of busy and a lot of information for my slow brain to process in the 2 seconds it comes up :)

• Like 2

MongooseMan

Installed on my HU7000 fine (which is also cool, since I've been putting off upgrading the TV OS for fear that Emby will stop working).

Wasn't able to enter the text name of my machine on the server screen, but the IP address worked fine.

Nice work!

• Like 1

I always understood why chessdragon kept it at the lower resolutions however, I think we are reaching the point where it is no longer reasonable to continue supporting them. I would personally suggest that now is the time to move to 1080 for future versions. I would imagine that most users would still be able to use the app and those that cant have the old version which is perfectly usable until they upgrade.

The reality is that the app will never compete with the competition with such a limited resolution. Just my thoughts.

• Like 3

I was actually using the clock on the splashscreen as a test to see if I could get it to display the right time for those who get a problem with daylight saving. I couldn't. I'm not married to any of it. We'll go with the consensus. I'll remove the time but it's easer for me to leave the version number tucked in the corner if that's ok. If enough people agree with @@CBers that it makes the app worse not better then we'll bin it.

im85288

Fully agree..a while back I did some developing here when I got my samsung tv but soon went back to Kodi due to not being able to tolerate seeing what looks like a SD resolution on a 4K TV. 

Installed on my HU7000 fine (which is also cool, since I've been putting off upgrading the TV OS for fear that Emby will stop working).

Wasn't able to enter the text name of my machine on the server screen, but the IP address worked fine.

Nice work!

I have similar problems with the remote in the 2012 emulator. Need to look at that. 

MongooseMan

I have similar problems with the remote in the 2012 emulator. Need to look at that.

This issue was, I pressed '6' and then it asked me to use the arrows to choose a letter. Pressing right moved the cursor to the second IP address box instead of selecting a letter

Fully agree..a while back I did some developing here when I got my samsung tv but soon went back to Kodi due to not being able to tolerate seeing what looks like a SD resolution on a 4K TV. 

I hear that. Looking to the future would suit us better. Is it just D series we'd leave behind if we moved to 1080p?

im85288

I hear that. Looking to the future would suit us better. Is it just D series we'd leave behind if we moved to 1080p?

I'm not sure tbh, but I guess the best thing to do would be to leave a legacy version available for those with unsupported TV's and move on with 1080p for those with supported TVs.

• Like 2

This issue was, I pressed '6' and then it asked me to use the arrows to choose a letter. Pressing right moved the cursor to the second IP address box instead of selecting a letter

Ok, thanks. I've made a note.