Does anyone here use Emby on an SmartTV running Android?

lulzyatlas

lynchmob

I have purchased a TCLU55E5800FS - supposed Android TV. Will not download or install Emby for Android TV or Emby for Android at all !

I'm in Australia - anybody have a TCL working in other regions ?

spencerisadog

ok so my setup..

hdhr prime tuner is in the basement on the network.. tv is upstairs ONLY connected to network.. no cable box or coax at all.. 

i dl'ed the HD VIEW app from the store.. it works i can watch live tv...though i havent tried the guide remote button..(will do, thanks!)...  on my other android tv devices (nexus player, nvidia shield tv) when you do that you get the google-built app called "live channels"... automatically installed along with the HDHR View one... or it somehow enables it...   

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv&hl=en

anyway.. i dont get that app on my sony tv, nor can it find it searching the store.... on my other devices the google app plays a bit better/smoother and the UI is nicer, personal opinion..

i was just wondering if others with these tv's knew anything about this app 

i may have to try to sideload it or something

Yeah, I don't have that app installed.  That being said, try the built-in player.  Other than the weird fps issue that sometimes occurs, the built in player seems to work fine with the HDHR.  I actually prefer it over the Emby LiveTV function but that's because I haven't really played with the Emby LiveTV too much.

lynchmob

A note of caution and also and update for Heuer for his table. TCL do NOT have Android TV, only Sony, Phillips and Sharp are current TV partners.

TCL have variously named Smart Cloud TV or Android Smart TV's utilising Android 4.0 hence not working with Emby - don't make my mistake  :>(

see this reference http://multimedia.tcl.com/en/news/main.do?method=Detail&mappingName=News_Company&id=8af8e39137bf8630013a0230e8a102bb

spencerisadog

Interesting happening today while watching TV.  Quick setup:

Sony Bravia running Emby V1.1.21g.  FreeNAS 9.3 running Emby V3.0.5781.0.  HDHomeRun Extend Firmware 20150826

We were watching some TV shows from Sonarr, everything was running great.  We switched over to watch football and it loaded the guide just fine, we picked the channel we wanted and it started to load like it always does however it just sat with the loading icon.  I checked my HDHomeRun because the last time something like this happened it locked my tuners.  I noticed that one tuner was still free but one was locked by Emby, which I had not been using anywhere else.  I exited out to the guide again and chose the other channel that had football on.  It then locked my other tuner.  I shutdown the Emby app on the TV and shut down the server.  I waited about five minutes and checked my tuners again, both were still locked.  After a reboot of the HDHomeRun, the app, and the server, it all loaded up with not further issues.  If I recall, this happened a week or so ago where it locks my tuners out and HDHomeRun thinks Emby is using them.

Interesting happening today while watching TV.  Quick setup:

Sony Bravia running Emby V1.1.21g.  FreeNAS 9.3 running Emby V3.0.5781.0.  HDHomeRun Extend Firmware 20150826

We were watching some TV shows from Sonarr, everything was running great.  We switched over to watch football and it loaded the guide just fine, we picked the channel we wanted and it started to load like it always does however it just sat with the loading icon.  I checked my HDHomeRun because the last time something like this happened it locked my tuners.  I noticed that one tuner was still free but one was locked by Emby, which I had not been using anywhere else.  I exited out to the guide again and chose the other channel that had football on.  It then locked my other tuner.  I shutdown the Emby app on the TV and shut down the server.  I waited about five minutes and checked my tuners again, both were still locked.  After a reboot of the HDHomeRun, the app, and the server, it all loaded up with not further issues.  If I recall, this happened a week or so ago where it locks my tuners out and HDHomeRun thinks Emby is using them.

Whatever this issue is it is probably going to be at the Server/Live TV level.  More than likely related to the issue where ffmpeg is left hanging if you stop a stream before it actually starts (which is being worked on in the server now).

However, you can try the latest Beta of the app and, due to other changes, it may avoid this issue.

spencerisadog

As long as it's being worked on I have faith it will be resolved!  I know what the fix is and how to check it, so no worries.

• 3 months later...
Thedazza

Hi every one is just down loaded emby but it's asking for a server address or ip or domain /machine name is tried every think can some one help I tried my kodi app and nothing I have sony tv but nothing works thanks

Hi every one is just down loaded emby but it's asking for a server address or ip or domain /machine name is tried every think can some one help I tried my kodi app and nothing I have sony tv but nothing works thanks

Welcome.

You need to have an Emby server and your own content.

Please see: http://emby.media.

• 9 months later...

Hi @@lulzyatlas

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42239-android-tv-beta-13x/

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
Bigjohns97

I keep trying to set this up on my dad's new Sony and once I enter in the server it just selects cancel up top and then doesn't let me type in anything else and forces me to click on done. Then does nothing. I am trying to connect remote across the internet. Is that not supported yet?

Tried this using the connect login or manually entering in ip.

I keep trying to set this up on my dad's new Sony and once I enter in the server it just selects cancel up top and then doesn't let me type in anything else and forces me to click on done. Then does nothing. I am trying to connect remote across the internet. Is that not supported yet?

Tried this using the connect login or manually entering in ip.

If you are using Connect, there is nothing to type in.  You simply go to the web page and enter your credentials and the PIN shown on the screen and then hit "Next".

If you are trying to manually type in your server address, then, yes, the way this OSK interface works is very confusing.  Once you have completed the entry for the address, instead of selecting "next" on the OSK, hit the "back" button on your remote.  Then, arrow down to the ok button and select it.

Bigjohns97

Ok I will try this the next time, to me connect is even more confusing as I had the server listed on my phone when using connect but it did show up on the tv.

Just more straightforward with direct imo.

Thanks for the quick reply

I guess i need to do some reading on connect and its security.

Connect is just a replacement for having to remember your ip address. Think of it as a 411. It does not change the ports required for use on your Emby Server, therefore doesn't really impact the way your server is seen publicly.

Bigjohns97

Connect is just a replacement for having to remember your ip address. Think of it as a 411. It does not change the ports required for use on your Emby Server, therefore doesn't really impact the way your server is seen publicly.

I can't seem to get it to show up on new clients when i verify pin and login.

Does it use https when going through connect? 

Also i lock down the port forward on the router to specific remote ip's, does that mean i need to allow the ip that is in use when going through connect? (this might be my problem)

I can't seem to get it to show up on new clients when i verify pin and login.

Does it use https when going through connect? 

Also i lock down the port forward on the router to specific remote ip's, does that mean i need to allow the ip that is in use when going through connect? (this might be my problem)

What do you mean exactly by can't get it to show up on new clients?

Connections for the sign in process with our connect server are over https. connections from user device to your server depends on your server setup. if you are only allowing specific remote ip's then you will need to make sure to allow your user's remote ip.

Does this help?

• 2 weeks later...
Bigjohns97

What do you mean exactly by can't get it to show up on new clients?

Connections for the sign in process with our connect server are over https. connections from user device to your server depends on your server setup. if you are only allowing specific remote ip's then you will need to make sure to allow your user's remote ip.

Does this help?

Sorry for the late reply, busy holidays.

What i mean by this is when i sign in to a new client (such as my dad's new TV) with just emby connect using the PIN verify feature, there isn't any server that shows up.

I am thinking this might be because the connection to the server might come from emby.media servers (remember i am doing a custom port forward on my router and only allowing my dad's ip address to see the open port)

I guess what i am saying is i don't get how you register a server in emby connect.

I guess what i am saying is i don't get how you register a server in emby connect.

You don't, it registers itself.

However, you do have to link a user to the server via either linking a local account or creating a guest one.  Then, whatever servers are connected to that account will show up when it is used to validate the PIN for Connect.

• Like 1

Bigjohns97

You don't, it registers itself.

However, you do have to link a user to the server via either linking a local account or creating a guest one.  Then, whatever servers are connected to that account will show up when it is used to validate the PIN for Connect.

Going through the user panel in the server admin i don't see where i can associate a server ip, just talks about library access and other things.

Where do I link the server?

EDIT : nevermind i see it.

Edited by Bigjohns97

Bigjohns97

OK so i added it, but it seems i can't have more than one account associated to my emby connect profile, is there a workaround to this?

pr3dict

I have a sony bravia TV running android TV and it works fine from the times I've checked it...

Also, kinda unrelated but if you limit your port forwarding to only a few IP's how do you use emby on the go? I am worried about the fact that anyone can go to :8096 or :8920 and connect to my server but that would really rip in on emby's ease of use to limit to a few IP's.