Does anyone here use Emby on an SmartTV running Android?

lulzyatlas

Bigjohns97

I have a sony bravia TV running android TV and it works fine from the times I've checked it...

Also, kinda unrelated but if you limit your port forwarding to only a few IP's how do you use emby on the go? I am worried about the fact that anyone can go to :8096 or :8920 and connect to my server but that would really rip in on emby's ease of use to limit to a few IP's.

Usually i bring down my IP address from my mobile device (ipchicken.com) and then add the range for the IP space (google ip whois) and type in the ip address.

I usually don't add the whole range but just up to the second octet to try and limit access as much as possible.

For DAD i locked it down to his ip address it hasn't changed yet.

OK so i added it, but it seems i can't have more than one account associated to my emby connect profile, is there a workaround to this?

You create your Dad as a guest on your server and then he automatically connects when he uses his credentials with the PIN on the device.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JonDeutsch

Hi. On my Sony 850C Android TV, I am experiencing an odd problem that maybe someone can help with:

When playing back .wtv files (hosted on my Windows Media Center) on my (jut unlocked) Emby Android TV app, the video plays back very choppily until I click on the far-right icon in the pop-up transport. A pop-up then says "are you having problems playing back video or audio?" (or something to that effect) and I click YES and then the video plays back flawlessly.  

So, what is happening when I select this?  

And, oddly, I need to do this each and every time I play back a video. It doesn't seem to default to this alternative playback setting that plays back well on my Android TV.

My educated guess is that this shifts from software to hardware (or visa-versa) assist on playback.  Am I right?  And is there a way to set the "good" way for my TV as the default?

Thx!

Jon

maegibbons

Hi

When you press "!" it either switches between  Direct play and a transcoded stream or between vlc and the internal exo player.

When you Bring up the OSD you will see it say something like"Direct/V", "Trans/V" or "Trans/I".  When you hit "!" it toggles through the various combinations of playing the stream.

V stands for vlc player library and I is internal exoplayer routines.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

JonDeutsch

Hi

When you press "!" it either switches between  Direct play and a transcoded stream or between vlc and the internal exo player.

When you Bring up the OSD you will see it say something like"Direct/V", "Trans/V" or "Trans/I".  When you hit "!" it toggles through the various combinations of playing the stream.

V stands for vlc player library and I is internal exoplayer routines.

Krs

Mark

On AndroidTV, I am unable to (easily) press "!" so the icon at the end of the row of icons must represent the "!" command, right?  FYI - I do not see any of those "DirectV, Trans/V, Trans/I" codes being displayed as far as I can see.

EIther way, Is there a way to set a default video playback approach so I can "set and forget" my video settings in the Emby app?

Thx!

jon

I also suspect that, when it works better, it is transcoding on the server. You can confirm this by monitoring the server dashboard during playback. Wtv recordings can be problematic.

JonDeutsch

I also suspect that, when it works better, it is transcoding on the server. You can confirm this by monitoring the server dashboard during playback. Wtv recordings can be problematic.

I'll check on this soon and report back. Where can I set this as my default playback approach? Thx.

Jon

• 2 months later...

Hi I have an emby server set up & connected to my tv. I have a friend who i want to share my library with & she has a TCL smart tv, I haven't seen it yet myself, but as far as I am aware it has the android store available on it & wifi. If she installs the emby app from the store, i can share my library with her... Yes? & if so do i only have to invite her to share it or do I need to manually input settings info in for her regarding its i.p., or the remote (WAN) listed on the server page.

Edited by cmcv

Hi I have an emby server set up & connected to my tv. I have a friend who i want to share my library with & she has a TCL smart tv, I haven't seen it yet myself, but as far as I am aware it has the android store available on it & wifi. If she installs the emby app from the store, i can share my library with her... Yes? & if so do i only have to invite her to share it or do I need to manually input settings info in for her regarding its i.p., or the remote (WAN) listed on the server page.

Hi @@cmcv, if you invite her with Emby Connect, then she won't have to worry about inputting the WAN address. It's easy. Take a look at our Emby Connect wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby%20Connect

Scroll down to the guide for administrators section, that will tell you how to invite her. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1