Unable to connect to server locally

TheKings

I am a new user, and have just begun to upload movies to my Emby server.  My problem is that I can only view the movies on my computer.  My android phone/kindle/and 2 Amazon fire TV's cannot connect.  I can load an Emby app on each device, and each device can see my server.  They each locate the correct server, but when I try to connect, I get a connection error.  I'm sure it must be some setting I'm missing somewhere.  I have even tried to connect manually, but still get the error.  I have gone into my firewall and made an exception for Emby, so it is allowed.  I will attach my server log file in the hopes that you can help me figure this out.  I am running emby on a Window 7 computer.  Thank you in advance for your help.

server-63577652751.txt

Edited by TheKings

If the clients cannot connect then there won't be anything in the server log.  I see UDP messages going out but couldn't find any other remote connections.

Start with a web browser on a different machine and try to get that working.  It almost has to be some sort of firewall blocking situation.  Did you enable both UDP and TCP for the server and on the proper port?

dotnetzero

Don't know if this is related, but when i checked a few minutes ago, i can no longer launch the web interface.  I checked my clients and they couldn't connect as well.  The sever application launches, but it looks like there are a few exceptions in the most recent log. First time this has ever been an issue. I tried redownloading the app from the website (stable and beta), still no dice.

server-63577991111.txt

Don't know if this is related, but when i checked a few minutes ago, i can no longer launch the web interface.  I checked my clients and they couldn't connect as well.  The sever application launches, but it looks like there are a few exceptions in the most recent log. First time this has ever been an issue. I tried redownloading the app from the website (stable and beta), still no dice.

try rebooting your machine and it should be fine.

If the clients cannot connect then there won't be anything in the server log.  I see UDP messages going out but couldn't find any other remote connections.

Start with a web browser on a different machine and try to get that working.  It almost has to be some sort of firewall blocking situation.  Did you enable both UDP and TCP for the server and on the proper port?

I did enable both UDP and TCP for the  port, but how would I do that for the server?    I use AVG for my internet security, and I went into the firewall, and made an exception for the emby server, so it would be allowed.  All my other devices connect to the internet just fine.  They all find the emby server just fine.  They read it by name, but they cannot connect.

Edited by TheKings

If you disable AVG does it work?

Is the local address displayed in the dashboard the proper IP address?

If I disable AVG, I still cannot connect.

Yes, the local address is displayed in the dashboard.  I assume the proper IP address is listed.  I can connect on the PC that I used to create the server, but not on any other devices.  

Still sounds like either a firewall blocking it (did you also check the Windows firewall?) or the IP address is not actually correct due to having multiple network adapters in the server (or something like a BT adapter).

Yes, I tried also blocking the windows firewall.  As for not having the correct IP address, how would I fix/check that?

I have two modems (one modem and one router) on my network.  One broadcasts on a different channel than the other one does.

Edited by TheKings

dotnetzero

try rebooting your machine and it should be fine.

Thanks dude.  I didn't try that at first because I have so many people hooked into it.  Rebooted overnight and worked just fine.  Weird issue.

I am still unable to connect any of my devices.  I need help in figuring out why.  I don't believe it is a firewall issue because I  tried disabling both AVG and the Windows firewall.  I still could not connect.  I think it might be because of the two routers I am using.  They both send out a wireless signal, but on two different channels.  

I tried connecting my phone to my son's server over the weekend, and it worked just fine.  I have two android phones; two kindle's; and two Amazon Fire TV's that all find the server, but cannot connect.

Have you tried manually entering the address in any of the apps or the web client?

Is the local address shown on the server dashboard correct?

Yes, the local address is shown on the server dashboard, but how would I know if it is correct?

Yes, I have tried to manually enter the address on each of the devices, but I still cannot connect.

Do you have multiple network adapters in the server machine or are you running it in a VM?  BlueTooth adapter even...?

Does the local address shown on the dashboard match what is shown in the address line of your browser?

I'm attaching a png of the dashboard page.  You can use it to see if the addresses match (I think).  The server address that my devices find is: http://192.168.0.11:8096

Also I have two network adapters.  One modem/router from the cable company (ISP) and an AirPort router sending out the same wireless network but on a separate channel.

post-71501-0-23931000-1442873854_thumb.png

Edited by TheKings

Happy2Play

It sounds like a double NAT.  Is your AirPort router in bridged mode?

Edited by Happy2Play

It sounds like a double NAT.  Is your AirPort router in bridged mode?

My AirPort router is in bridged mode.  Is that the correct setting, or do I need to adjust something?

Happy2Play

Something on your network is blocking.  More than likely firewall on server machine, but  could be portforwarding issue.

Something on your network is blocking.  More than likely firewall on server machine, but  could be portforwarding issue.

I think we eliminated the firewall as the issues.  I disabled both AVG and the windows firewall, but still could not connect with a device other than the computer I set up the server with.

I believe is must have to do with the two network adapters I am using.  I have enable port forwarding for port 8096 in windows firewall, but I need help figuring out how to do this with my network adapters.  The first one is from my cable company (ISP) it is a Motorola SBG6580, which broadcasts on 5ghz.  The other is an AirPort Extreme that is bridged to the SBG6580 and broadcasts the signal on 2.4ghz

in my experience disabling windows firewall normally does more harm than good. it is better to leave it on and configure the rules to open the ports. There are lots of examples in this forum of people who couldn't connect with windows firewall disabled, but could after putting it back on and configuring it.

in my experience disabling windows firewall normally does more harm than good. it is better to leave it on and configure the rules to open the ports. There are lots of examples in this forum of people who couldn't connect with windows firewall disabled, but could after putting it back on and configuring it.

Yes, I put it back on right away.  I held my breath while testing it when I did try it.  Windows firewall was configured to for both UDP and FTP for the port my server is on.  AVG is allowing the Emby Server, so I really don't know what else to do.