Emby for Kodi playback

skank

Using emby, breaks my himedia wrapper for kodi 

So i cant use external player.. why does it do that?

Cant launch any 3d title like that

Angelblue05

You can try using beta - I don't think the nfs fix was part of 1.1.13 which is where it's failing right now. You will need to reset resync your library, but it should work then. You need to install the beta repo and the beta version of the add-on (it will install over your stable version), then do a reset resync of your library: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19739-emby-for-kodi-beta/

Deleted everything, although i dont use nfs but smb

Installed new beta repo and emby addon

After syncing with "use local paths instead of addon redirect for playback enabled"

Trying to play movie it says "remove from libary? This file is no longer available. Remove it from library?"

Happens with all movies.

Very strange!

Edited by skank
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Ah if you use smb then your paths are incorrect! Also why did you change the syncing method to direct paths? Were you not using plugin paths?

The issue is Kodi is unable to find your files at this location. This is why it's giving you the file is no longer available. With plugin paths, it works differently. Anyway to fix your issue, you will need to do a path substitution in Emby - in the emby dashboard > library > path substitution

/mnt/Films/Films.3D/300 Rise Of An Empire (2014)/300 Rise Of An Empire (2014).3D.iso

example for Path substitution

To: \\{networkshare}\mnt

More examples: 

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23753-path-substitution-am-i-doing-this-wrong/?hl=%2Bpath+%2Bsubstitution

Then you'll need to do a reset resync since you are using direct paths now...

• Like 1

Ah if you use smb then your paths are incorrect! Also why did you change the syncing method to direct paths? Were you not using plugin paths?

The issue is Kodi is unable to find your files at this location. This is why it's giving you the file is no longer available. With plugin paths, it works differently. Anyway to fix your issue, you will need to do a path substitution in Emby - in the emby dashboard > library > path substitution

/mnt/Films/Films.3D/300 Rise Of An Empire (2014)/300 Rise Of An Empire (2014).3D.iso
example for Path substitution

To: \\{networkshare}\mnt

More examples: 

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23753-path-substitution-am-i-doing-this-wrong/?hl=%2Bpath+%2Bsubstitution

Then you'll need to do a reset resync since you are using direct paths now...

Why did it played my mkv using kodi player then, but not iso?

However, i changed path substition, and all is solved.

Everything is played now using external player again! I like!

However i want to know why it played my mkv, dvd with kodi player before

• Like 1

Angelblue05

With plugin paths and using the stable version, the fallback happened automatically where it tries direct play, then fall backs to direct stream if unable to locate the file from Kodi. It was probably direct streaming the whole time and you just didn't notice. When the server direct stream, if the server is able to load the file, it will be able to stream it to Kodi without any modifications to the file.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

With plugin paths and using the stable version, the fallback happened automatically where it tries direct play, then fall backs to direct stream if unable to locate the file from Kodi. It was probably direct streaming the whole time and you just didn't notice. When the server direct stream, if the server is able to load the file, it will be able to stream it to Kodi without any modifications to the file.

So it was like this?

First with plugin path, it tried, direct play.... but that failed cause path was not correct? So it tried direct stream... (but then it didnt use the external player)

I changed the path, and changed to local path and now its playing + using external player

So it wasnt using external player cause it was a stream?

It couldnt load the file, cause the path was incorrecT...

anyway, its working now, and i love it

going to reset the server now, and start from 0

Angelblue05

External players should play correctly with plugin paths because the path is converted to the actual path before playback starts (others use it with no problem). As you said, it was most likely failing to load your external, because it was a stream (http).

Anyway, since you fixed your paths, it should work with the default method instead of using Direct paths. It's really up to you whichever you want to use, however there's less functionalities when it comes to using Direct paths. :)

Glad you got everything working!

External players should play correctly with plugin paths because the path is converted to the actual path before playback starts (others use it with no problem). As you said, it was most likely failing to load your external, because it was a stream (http).

Anyway, since you fixed your paths, it should work with the default method instead of using Direct paths. It's really up to you whichever you want to use, however there's less functionalities when it comes to using Direct paths. :)

Glad you got everything working!

What are those less funtionalities again using direct path?

Angelblue05

With direct paths - the add-on can't control anything at playback so this is why things work a bit differently. So with direct paths, you can't go from direct play, to direct stream, to transcoding. No emby cinema features (can't play custom intros, etc) and can't use parental access control (if you have emby profiles where content can only be watched during certain hours, with direct paths, it can't respect the schedule). These are the main things.

Direct paths was really put in place for low end devices that can't process plugin paths quick enough (takes longer than 5-6 seconds to start content when direct playing) or lack of compatibility with a specific add-on you want to use where it needs to see the inside of your directories.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed a lot on my library, but now when i try to play it says movies arent there anymore lol

Think its smth with path substitution?

Is it set correctly?

post-68091-0-69912600-1442559904_thumb.jpg

Edited by skank

Angelblue05

Looks fine. If you are using direct paths then you'll need to do a reset resync so your path substitution are taken into account. If you are using plugin paths, then you don't need to reset because the path are pulled in real time.

Angelblue05

What did you try to play in your log? I can't find the playback portion. Also are you using direct paths (option enabled in the add-on)? Thanks

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

Still not seeing playback in that log.  Please change the log level in Emby for Kodi to 'Info' instead of 'Debug' and turn off the Kodi logging.

Start your Kodi, then please wait 5 minutes, then try to play something.  This is just to make it easy to see in the log. 

• Like 1