Guest Account Affecting Watched Status of Main Account

dustinfike

dustinfike

I recently shared access to my server with my sister.  First guest account for me.  She set up an Emby Connect account and I invited her to connect.  All is good so far.  Last night she streamed her first movie and everything went great from her end.  However, there appears to be a mixup in how the server recognized her; as her watching the movie affected the watched status for my user account.  I had not watched the movie yet, but now it shows as watched when I browse my movies locally.

More Info:

My main local user account is Dustin.

My sister's account is jennfike.

I have my server connected directly to my TV and use either Emby Classic or Emby Theater to watch movies.  Still trying to decide on which as I am having problems with both, but I'll leave that for another post.

My sister is using an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

I do not own an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

She watched the movie "In Time."  I have not watched it yet.

She could not have logged in to my account as she does not have my password.

When I browse movies, it now shows as watched on my Dustin account.

In the Devices panel screenshot, you can see the second device listed is my sister's Amazon Fire Stick, "Amazon AFTM."  It shows "Last used by jennfike."  So, it recognizes that she was the one logged into it.

If you look at the Dashboard screenshot, under "Recent Activity" you can see where she was watching the movie, circled in red, (looks like she may have stopped watching for a little while and then resumed).  However, note that it says "Dustin has started playing In Time."  NOT jennfike.

The screencap from browsing the movies under my account (via the web app in chrome) shows that the "In Time" movie now has a "watched" check mark.

Is this the intended behavior?  Or should we have separate watched statuses?

I have also attached the server and transcoding logs.

EDIT: Server version = 3.0.5675.1

Not sure what version of Emby she is running on the Fire stick.  But she just installed it yesterday, so I assume the latest.

post-43448-0-75109700-1439256527_thumb.jpg

post-43448-0-97681400-1439256528_thumb.jpg

post-43448-0-60803200-1439256529_thumb.jpg

post-43448-0-94939800-1439256529_thumb.jpg

server-63574675200.txt

transcode-0a90da10-4b17-44d8-9f27-4e8e8d96afeb.txt

transcode-3ce14306-68d9-4f68-b5bf-1094da4728cb.txt

Edited by dustinfike

Have your sister log in with the Fire TV app and then look in your server dashboard.  Does it show as her or you?

All the activity I see in the recent log there is associated with your user ID not hers.

dustinfike

Will do that tonight when we both get home from work.  I feel like the dashboard said it was me logged in when I noticed she was watching the movie.  I was loading up Frozen for my daughter and noticed the progress bar on In Time.  Which caused me to look at the server dashboard.  But I will check for sure tonight.

Anything else I should look for when she logs in?

I think that's what you are going to find too.

I see you have your ID also linked through the cloud.  Just confirm that your ID is linked to your forum account out here (dustinfike) and her's is linked to her's and not yours...

dustinfike

I think I may have fixed it.  I will have to test tonight to make sure.  She gave me her username and password so that I could log in via the web browser to check it out.  When I logged into the web app as her, it showed two instances of my MEDIA-BROWSER server.  I clicked on the first and it showed my "Dustin" user profile and when I clicked it, it logged me into the server under the "Dustin" local profile, not the jennfike guest profile.  The Dustin local profile is linked to my dustinfike emby connect profile, but I did not have a password on the local user so that it would auto login on a reboot and my daughter could access it without issue.

I backed out to the server select screen and tried the second MEDIA-SERVER and it properly logged in as jennfike.  I then backed out to the server select screen and deleted the first MEDIA-SERVER.  Now it logs her account in properly.

I am not sure why it showed my local profile as an option when I was logged in as jennfike, but it did.  I didn't think about it before, but I probably shouldn't have deleted the MEDIA-SERVER instance so that I could explore why it was behaving that way.  It seems strange to me that a guest user would be presented with a login prompt for a local user.

So, to help avoid similar issues when I share with the rest of my family, I have added a password to my local Dustin account.  I then enabled the easy pin sign-in when on local network, but left the pin field blank.  If I understand the description correctly, this should still allow logging in locally without a password, but would require a password if outside my network (or if a guest user is shown the local login prompt again).  Is that right?

dustinfike

So, I didn't fix it like I thought I did.  But I was able to eventually get it working.  I could never get her guest account working properly on the Amazon Fire Stick.  She would go through the login with connect process, putting the pin in online.  It would say PIN accepted online and then nothing would happen with the fire stick.  She was presented with the local user accounts to choose one to login with.  She had clicked on the "Dustin" account when watching the In Time movie, and that is why it affected my watch status.  Last night, after I added a password, she was unable to get into the "Dustin" account, since she didn't have my password.

So, eventually I just deleted her guest account and created a local "Jenn" account for her.  I then linked this new local user account to her "jennfike" connect account.  After that she uninstalled and reinstalled the emby app on her stick.  This time after logging in with her connect account, it showed her both the Dustin and Jenn local user accounts.  So, she could click on her Jenn account and it worked fine after that.

It was a little hard to troubleshoot with her over the phone.  As my brother also has a fire stick and my dad is looking into maybe getting one, it might be worth my while to get one for myself so that I am familiar with how to set it up and can guide them through it.

Just as a note on personal preference, I don't like the idea that someone logging in with an emby connect guest account is shown a list of the local user accounts on the server and has the ability to try to log in as one of those local accounts.  My preference would be that if the local account is not linked to their emby connect account, they should not see it unless I have given them permission to see the local accounts.  I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior or if it is a bug, but that is what is happening on her fire stick.  I need to get a fire stick myself to play with & test what is going on for myself.

Just as a note on personal preference, I don't like the idea that someone logging in with an emby connect guest account is shown a list of the local user accounts on the server and has the ability to try to log in as one of those local accounts.  My preference would be that if the local account is not linked to their emby connect account, they should not see it unless I have given them permission to see the local accounts.  I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior or if it is a bug, but that is what is happening on her fire stick.  I need to get a fire stick myself to play with & test what is going on for myself.

That is how it should work now.  If you go in with Connect, it shouldn't show you the user select screen - it should take you straight into the user associated with that account.

I'll have to go back and test it again to see if something has messed that up.

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar issue with the Fire TV Stick (It's also happening on the Nexus Player app).  I recently added my sister as a guest account to my server, but on her Fire TV Stick, whenever she chooses "Login with Connect" after entering the pin on her computer using HER USERNAME AND PASSWORD, she is given a list of users on the app.  The major issue here is even though she used the pin with HER account, she is unable to launch the app using it.  It always gives the "Invalid Username or Password" error.  She CAN however, click on MY username (the admin account) and the app works perfectly.  This is a major issue, as I'd like to add more guests, but absolutely can't if they all have immediate access to my admin account, and not their own when using a Set top box.  The app works perfectly under her account for Android, as well as the web client, but there definitely are some wires crossed when it comes to the pin sign on for the box apps.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you!