Watched flags not working properly

mjj9435

mjj9435

Hello,

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I search through as many forum threads as my patience would allow.  If covered elsewhere, please point me to the thread.

I have Emby running on a Windows 10 machine and my client is Kodi/Emby/Pi2.  Apart from minor issues the setup is great.  One MAJOR annoyance is that "Watched" flags simply DO NOT WORK.  Period.  No matter where I set the episode/movie as "watched" it will revert to unwatched.  There does not seem to be any pattern either-some shows stay "watched" and some don't.  I have tried to set the "watched" flag from the Emby web interface, directly on Emby for Kodi, and through NFO files, and they will revert to "unwatched" randomly.  

Please help as this is really annoying.  Without proper watched/unwatched flags, most of the cool features of Emby are worthless (Spotlight, Suggestions, Up Next, etc.).  If I can't get it to work I might as well switch back to "straight up Kodi", or worse PLEXBMC for Kodi.

Feature suggestion:  A "locked" flag for Shows, Episodes, and Movies to where, if activated, no changes can be made (posters, subtitles, metadata, etc.).

Thanks,

Matt

we have locked already. do you also have regular kodi pointing to your media folders?

mjj9435

we have locked already. do you also have regular kodi pointing to your media folders?

Cool, I'll check out the "locked" feature.

No, I do not have regular Kodi pointing to my media folders.  The only way I view content from my Pi2/Kodi is through the Emby plugin.

Thanks,

Matt

Angelblue05

Try to reset resync your library via launching the Emby add-on, see if that fixes the watched indicator.

mjj9435

3,000 Movies, 350 TV shows with 17,000 episodes...starting from scratch sounds fun.  I'll try it and let you know.  My latest efforts:

• I had 2 Plex servers that relied on the NFO files for their data.  I changed the DB Agents to the standard (TVDB, MovieDB, Freebase) instead of NFOs.  I thought maybe these DBs were changing the "watched" flag.  
  • I manually set the watched flags using TinyMediaManager.

This morning I noticed that TV shows I've already watched suddenly became "unwatched" in Emby.  What's weird is I checked the NFO file and it still shows "Watched".  

Before I spend 12 hours rebuilding my Emby DB, can you tell my why even Emby for Windows is not respecting the "watched" flag in the NFO file?  I have attached an example.

Wayward Pines-S01E07-Betrayal.nfo.zip

Emby Relevant Settings:

Metadata

Basic

-Download artwork and metadata from the internet = [True]

-Save artwork and metadata into media folders = [True]

Services

-Customize for media type: [Movies]

-Metadata readers (rank):

-NFO

-Emby XML

-Metadata savers:

-Emby XML = [True]  (I'm going to turn this off and see what happens)

-NFO = [True]

-Metadata downloaders:

-The Open Movie Database = [True]

-TheMovieDb = [True]

-Image Fetchers:

-Screen Grabber = [True]

-TheMovieDb = [True]

-FanArt = [True]

NFO

-Sync user watch data to NFOs for:  [Matt]

-Release date format: [yyy-MM-dd]

-Save image paths within files = [False]

Advanced

-Metadata path: {Null]

-Save metadata and images as hidden files = [False]

...and as I'm looking through my settings I had an "aha" moment...Could it be that there's a conflict between the Metadata readers? Although I have the NFO ranked higher than the Emby XML, should I turn off the Emby XML?  If I maintain my NFO files, art, etc. using TinyMediaManager, is there an additional benefit to having Emby XML?

Emby is designed to store watched status (and a lot of other useful attributes) on a per-user basis.  Storing and reading this flag from the NFO is supported but only for a single user and is there only to support people who need this information to be synced so that they can use Kodi or some other system natively (that depends on this flag in the nfo).

If you are using our back end and Kodi with our add-on exclusively, I encourage you to just turn off the syncing of this flag to your nfo files entirely.

• Like 1

mjj9435

Hello,

Thanks for the info.  Yesterday I changed all Emby server settings to ignore NFO files, yet the problem persists.

Couple of things:

1.  I am the only Emby user...front & back end.

2.  I can confirm that Emby is reading the NFO file correctly, in terms of the "watched" flag...and it is showing up correctly in the web front-end (Chrome).  Where it goes haywire is the communication between Emby for Kodi and the Emby back-end server (Windows).  So whatever the Emby server is storing as "watched" (wherever it is stored) is not being read properly by Emby for Kodi.  Again, this is hit or miss.  It works for some TV shows completely, partially for some TV Shows (some Eps watched, others incorrectly flagged as "unwatched"), and in general, not at all for movies.  Before I changed Emby server settings to ignore NFO files last night, I thought I had it working fully but then I rebooted my device, and, after a full sync, all the movies that were "watched" before reboot were suddenly "unwatched".  I verified again this morning that watched Movies are showing up as "Watched" via Chrome but "Unwatched" in Emby for Kodi.  I performed a "Manual Sync" from Emby for Kodi and there was no change.  

I also performed the following tests (with all NFO file settings set to [False] in Emby Server settings):

• Set 2 unwatched movies to "Watched" via Chrome
  • Perform Manual Sync via Emby for Kodi (sync finished successfully)
  • Set to previously "Watched" shows (all episodes) to "Unwatched" via Chrome
  • Perform Manual Sync via Emby for Kodi.  At this step the Kodi for Emby script failed 3 times in a row.  It continues to perform an incremental sync but gets hung on 163/168 TV Shows and at some point when updating movies (it's a big number out of an even bigger number).
  • Reboot Kodi.

After reboot, full sync completed this time.  However, the movies and TV shows I set as "Watched" via Chrome still show up as "unwatched" in Kodi for Emby.  So, Kodi/Emby is still not communicating properly with the Emby server.  Coincidentally, I checked Emby for Android and a cursory inspection of the "watched" flag appears correct, even after the changes above.

And this test:

• Set 2 (different) unwatched movies to "watched" in Kodi for Emby
  • Set 1 (different) unwatched TV Show (all eps) to "watched" in Kodi for Emby
  • Perform Manual Sync from Kodi for Emby  (script failed)
  • Reboot to engage full sync again.  

This worked.  Both movies and the TV Show now show up "watched" in both places.  

So from these (not necessarily definitive) tests, it appears communication between the Emby server and Emby for Kodi is working properly in only one direction - from Emby/Kodi to Server.  

So, either the server is not pushing the right information, Emby for Kodi is not requesting the proper information, or it is incorrectly interpreting the data it receives from the Emby server.

Let me know if any of the results above give you an "aha" moment or you'd like me to try a different test, provide logs, etc.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by mjj9435

Yesterday I changed all Emby server settings to ignore NFO files, yet the problem persists.

Including the one that syncs watched status to the NFO file?

Sounds like maybe we should move this over to the Kodi forum to get better visibility to the right people...?

mjj9435

Including the one that syncs watched status to the NFO file?

Sounds like maybe we should move this over to the Kodi forum to get better visibility to the right people...?

Yes.  The settings now appear as below (changes in red).  I'm unaware of any other settings related to NFO files so if they exist, please point them out.

Metadata

Basic

-Download artwork and metadata from the internet = [True]

-Save artwork and metadata into media folders = [True]

Services

-Customize for media type: [Movies]

-Metadata readers (rank):

-Emby XML

-NFO (you can't remove this or I would have)

-Metadata savers:

-Emby XML = [True]  

-NFO = [FALSE]

-Metadata downloaders:

-TheMovieDb = [True]

-Image Fetchers:

-Screen Grabber = [True]

-TheMovieDb = [True]

-FanArt = [True]

NFO

-Sync user watch data to NFOs for:  [Null]

-Release date format: [yyy-MM-dd]

-Save image paths within files = [False]

Advanced

-Metadata path: [Null]

-Save metadata and images as hidden files = [False]

I deleted the Emby database on my client and rebooted to build it from scratch.  I'll repeat a few tests and report back.

Thanks,

Matt

mjj9435

Just wanted to report back that I believe I have fixed the issue...after a complete rebuild of the client database.  I'm not sure what fixed the issue but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with NFO files.  In any case, I'll report more tomorrow after I mess around with it a bit more.

Thanks,

Matt