madvr

dylanrellis

Swynol

im still having issues with 23p play back. i have MBT set to use Madvr. only settings i have changed is to set the display to change to 1080p23, 1080p24 

when playing in MBT it changes my display to 23.9p and madvr reports only a few initial frame drops and 0 after that however he playback has what looks like tearing and stuttering. 

if i set madvr to 1080p60 then playback is better but have about 20 dropped frames every second which is unwatchable.

only way i can watch 23.9p movies is to use mpc-hc as an external player, mpc-hc changes to res to 23.9p but i get no tearing and excellent video.

if i leave MBT to use LAV when it comes to 23p stuff i get stuttering.

Jdiesel

I will have a look at my settings later but they are pretty much the default settings. I added my resolutions to the display settings, ticked "treat 25fps as 24fps", changed both upscaling settings to Jinc 3 taps with AR, and disabled smooth video. I do not bitstream my audio and use Reclock. Maybe that is the difference. How are you sending the audio to your reciever? Hardware and settings?

im still having issues with 23p play back. i have MBT set to use Madvr. only settings i have changed is to set the display to change to 1080p23, 1080p24 

when playing in MBT it changes my display to 23.9p and madvr reports only a few initial frame drops and 0 after that however he playback has what looks like tearing and stuttering. 

^It's been pointed out over and over again that MBT doesn't allow MadVR to use it's best feature -- exclusive fullscreen video, which will take care of tearing! That's why your video with an external player like MPC-HC is so much better. It's really futile to keep trying various MadVR settings until this ability is implemented... you're just bashing your head against a wall. Use the external player until you read that exclusive fullscreen is working, then try it again. :D

Edited by pagali
  • Like 1

Swynol

thanks both, will give the settings a go, if no luck will continue with mpc-hc. i miss having the movie logo etc when playing directly through MBT

Swynol

im also bitstreaming, and just noticed my mpc-hc is using lav filters 

Edited by Crazypete00

im also bitstreaming, and just noticed my mpc-hc is using lav filters 

Yes, newer MPC versions do use Lav filters. But do you have your playback renderer set to MadVR also? They work together...

Swynol

i didnt because i was running x64 mpc but now using x86 and madvr. didnt really notice any difference

Edited by Crazypete00

Just set it to use mpc-hc. Left all other settings the same in MadVR and the lip-sync is now spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im getting some huge dropped frames playing blurays. Anyone see in this madvr screen shot what could cause the issue? I'll be loading a fresh copy of windows 7 64 on this machine since I have messed around with it so much. 

I also have reclock disabled. Madvr switches to 1080p23 for bluray playback

52f701e0a9ee8_madvr.png

Edited by A8HTPC

Swynol

if you play it using mpc-hc using madvr do you still get the dropped frames?

Im getting some huge dropped frames playing blurays. Anyone see in this madvr screen shot what could cause the issue? I'll be loading a fresh copy of windows 7 64 on this machine since I have messed around with it so much. 

I also have reclock disabled. Madvr switches to 1080p23 for bluray playback

52f701e0a9ee8_madvr.png

Swynol

been playing around with madvr again today, looks like my issue is hardware rather than madvr or MBT.

running off my main htpc with a ati 6570 gfx card i get no end of problems. plugging my laptop it which has both intel 4600 and a nvidia 630m it runs perfectly with exactly the same settings. 

so my first plan is to rebuild my htpc and see what happens, if i still get issues then a new gfx card.

p.s. mpc-hc works fine with my hardware

Edited by Crazypete00

I think a lot has to do with how MBT implements Madvr and how much of madvr MBT actually uses. Eventually im sure MBT will run better. 

I am working on reconfiguring my HTPC. Loaded from a System Image close to the first install of Win7. Having some issues with MB Server. Can't load some http.listener. I should be able to get this working though. I think it will pass once all the windows updates are through.

Edit: That didn't work. 

Edited by A8HTPC

I never tested it with MPC. Though I will once I get my server online again. I'm reinstalling an unmolested copy of windows 7 right now. Be a few days before I will see in results or issues with MBT.

I will say after I reverted back to my system image and was able to play a Bluray, my dropped frames was DRASTICALLY reduced from thousands to only a few hundred. 

Edited by A8HTPC

it was random. you would see a stutter here and there but the number of dropped frames kept going up. Once my PC is online again I'll go through the settings with a fine comb.

Mfusick

Do you get them constantly throughout the movie or just in "burst" events ?  

You might not have enough GPU for your settings ??  What settings are giving you so many dropped frames ?

Swynol

A8HTPC what gpu are you using?

i managed to semi sort my issues out, looks like it was the ATI CCC that was causing my issues. i had to tick some boxes in the program to say that my TV support 1080p24, 1080p60 etc. once i did this i enabled smooth motion in madvr and i get good smooth playback. However it plays all 23.9p video in 60p with smooth motion on so i do get alot of dropped frames but it isnt noticable.

if i force it to play back in 23.9p i get 0 dropped frames but the play back stutters every few seconds.

for now i will live with smooth motion at least my media is now watchable through MBT instead of using MPC-HC 

Welp my PC is online now. Fresh install of windows 7 pro 64. Updated all the drivers I could find. ATI Radeon drivers to ver 12. I have yet to load much of anything on this PC. So once I start loading up the Admin account with programs and live the Movie Theater account alone, I hope all stays well. I'll create a system image right now. lol.

I now get ZERO dropped frames during video playback of 23.976 video or DVDs. At video start up, I may get an initial 15-40 dropped frames but nothing you can notice since this happens just as the movie starts to play. After that its smooth.

I noticed if I set my GPU queue size to anything above 11, I start getting dropped frames. CPU Queue doesn't seem to affect performance much. That is set to 10. And forget about resolution doubling. Image and chroma upscalling I have set to bi-linear. DXVA creates dropped frames, I do believe this was a big culprit when I was getting 3000+ dropped frames.

My GPU is AMD Radeon 6550D (AMD 3870K APU)

One thing I noticed is with After Earth ripped DVD (MKV) Madvr says its 23.970 FPS, and I get Delayed frames but no dropped frames because Madvr does not set the refresh rate to 23.976. Reclock seems to have fixed that issue. 0 dropped frames and 0 delayed frames.

Though a bluray thats 23.976, MadVr will automatically switch to 23.976 refresh rate and movies plays fine. With reclock, enabled, reclock seems to provide its magic here too though its not needed. Without reclock, MadVr On Screen display (Ctrl J), "Display" is 23.976## and Composition rate is 24.000hz. With Reclock, Display says 24.00035hz, Composition 24.000hz. Still with ZERO dropped or delayed frames.

This is all through MBT Internal Player

Smooth Motion is off. Havn't played with this to much though when I enable it and use it I get major stutter/dropped frames. ATI CCC has a similar effect, though its disable when using MadVr

EDIT: I get delayed frames playing dvds when MBT  "IS" Maximized but NOT when its in a smaller window. Anyone know why this is? No settings in MadVR or Reclock seem to fix this. I also found MadVR refresh rate said 1080p24 and not 1080p23. I thought for sure I put in 23. I'll play around a bit more the next few days and give updates

Edited by A8HTPC

Mfusick

Depending on your settings your GPU is not strong enough.   For max levels (JINC3 + AR FILTER) you need minimum HD7790 or R7260X Radeon Card.    A 7770ghz (or R7 260) is barely enough for video but works flawless for film.

The resolution and the file type will effect your results too.  Film is 24fps and video is 60fps so video is harder than film.

If you are using NVIDIA you need a 650ti  (non Ti is not enough) or greater.  

If you use a lower level of MadVR you should get less dropped frames.  Easier video file types should also work better.   You might want to try a few different video types and settings and play around and see if you get different results.

Hi everyone. I have a quick question about MadVR and MBT. Should I expect the same level of performance/quality using MadVR via MBT versus using MadVR with an external player (MPC-HC)? I've been using the external player option because I was under the impression that the madvr rendering was better/more efficient with MPC-HC, but I lose the resume state info, which is super useful when using multiple front-ends. Also, I'm able to use external subtitles with the external player option, which I can't currently use in MBT - correct?

Thanks!! 

Hi everyone. I have a quick question about MadVR and MBT. Should I expect the same level of performance/quality using MadVR via MBT versus using MadVR with an external player (MPC-HC)? I've been using the external player option because I was under the impression that the madvr rendering was better/more efficient with MPC-HC, but I lose the resume state info, which is super useful when using multiple front-ends. Also, I'm able to use external subtitles with the external player option, which I can't currently use in MBT - correct?

Thanks!! 

I know this thread is getting long, but I really think all of your questions have been answered previously. MBT does not as yet use all of MadVR's functionality, such as exclusive fullscreen mode, which is very important for smooth tear-free video. Therefore, you can't expect the same quality as can be seen with external players such as MPC. I would guess subtitles aren't fully functional in the MBT internal player as well, with or without MadVR. At least they weren't the last time I tested it, which was pretty recent.

Thank you pagali. I have read through the entire thread (over time) but I thought it would be worth asking to confirm that nothing had changed. Thanks again for the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
AmericanCrisis

I hate starting a new topic for related questions so I did a search and discovered this thread.  I will read through it later but in the meantime thought I would post this quick question as I am just now setting up MB3 theater:

I am cluelesss in regards to madVR.  What is the real benefit in enabling this feature under settings?  Also, what about the other options like subfilters and relock?  Are there any real benefit when the movies that I play are already full BD rips?  

I've noticed that when I play a BD movie via the ROM drive and PowerDVD 13 Ultra, the screen changes to 1080p24 versus the 1080p60 that is default for the input on my Samsung TV.  When I start a movie via MB3 it doesn't do this, I'm assuming it stays at the 1080p60.  Am I not watching the movie at the 24p at this point?  I thought, since PowerDVD adjusts the screen, that this is the way that it was meant to be played/viewed.  

A8HTPC

MadVR switches refresh rates based on the refresh rate of the movie. Usually only works for blurays rips and not DVD rips. though most DVDs should be watched at 23.976 with reclock to help a bit further. You want your video refresh rate to be set to 23Hz in order to get as close as possible to 23.976fps. Not all video chipsets can achieve this. AMD is perfect at 23.976. INTEL Haswell is close at 23.973. NVIDIA I think at 23.972. I think you can make different configurations for INTEL and NVIDIA to get 23.976. ReClock will help with those who at stuck at refresh rates near or miles away from 23.976 fps.

MadVR is also an advanced video processor. Can be used to get better video quality and upscale to 1080p. Though you better have a really nice video card if you want to touch any of the up-scaling features. MadVR also has a smooth motion feature which is used to mask the judder you may get from inaccurate refresh rates. Some have luck, some don't. I don't use it since it kinda paints in the next frame. Looks weird.

Reclock will speed up or slow down the video and audio of the movie in order to sync the movie with the refresh rate of your video chipset. Usually takes a few seconds for reclock to learn and make adjustments.

If your TV supports 24p playback you will benefit from the smooth panning 23.976 configurations give you. If your TV does not support it, your stuck at 60hz and must use reclock. My TV supports 24p but gives the option for 48Hz or 60Hz when displaying 24p content. Anything in multiples of 24 will give you nice playback where as 60hz your TV or PC will need to do 3:2 pull down.

SEARCH For ALL of this and you will understand. So much information about all of this everywhere.

Little Info on refresh rates and frame rates.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/video-frame-rates-and-display-refresh-rates-beginners

Edited by A8HTPC
  • Like 2