madvr

dylanrellis

Jdiesel

I compared your system.xml to mine and noticed a few differences.

You have:
<HwaMode>2</HwaMode>

I have:

<HwaMode>3</HwaMode>

This is for DXVA (Copy Back). I believe copy back is required for MadVR.

You have:

<HwaResolution>7</HwaResolution>

I have:

<HwaResolution>3</HwaResolution>

I'm not sure about this setting completely but I think it might have to do with your "Valid Resolutions" in MadVR. I have 1080p23, 1080p24 and 1080p60. How many do you have?

I have:

<UseMadVrSmoothMotion>false</UseMadVrSmoothMotion>

because i don't care for it.

You can also set

<ShowTrayIcon>true</ShowTrayIcon>

I would set  try using my settings, other than that I am not sure what else to try other than setting your MadVR upscaling settings to something conservative like bilinear to see if your GPU is being overloaded. GPU usage might not be telling the whole story.

Edited by Jdiesel

In display resolutions in Madvr, I had 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60, 720p50, 720p60 - dunno what the 7th was!

I had smooth motion turned off and on at different points - not that it was ever being used anyway.

HW is back on Intel QS at the moment for the internal player.

I'll have another play around!

What GPU are you using by the way?

Jdiesel

Nvidia 650ti. You probably don't need the 720p50 and 720p60 resolutions. If there is a 720p video you want it to be upscaled to 1080p thus the purpose of using MadVR.

Jdiesel

LAV audio filter has a couple of options worth trying. There is "Auto A/V Sync Correction" and "Audio Delay". If you choose to delay your audio with LAV your other sources going to the reciever will be fine.

Edited by Jdiesel

I think there is something more untoward going on.. No matter if I use the inbuilt renderer or MADVR, when I check LAV there is no hardware acceleration going on.

I installed GPU-Z and GPU is sitting at 18-19% usage.

Something not right.

nickbuol

LAV audio filter has a couple of options worth trying. There is "Auto A/V Sync Correction" and "Audio Delay". If you choose to delay your audio with LAV your other sources going to the reciever will be fine.

YES!  THAT is what I did, NOT at the receiver, but within LAV.  That is what I did...  I mispoke before.

Ok, I took out the 720p resolutions.

I changed the upscaling to bicubic 50.

I unticked smooth motion, but somehow after I have played a movie it ends up being ticked again - wonder if the MBT settings are overriding it somehow. Not a biggie as no movies have used it so far.

I have a movie (Kelly + Victor) which MadVR reports is 25hz. MadVR sets the display refresh rate to 1080p50. Should I add 1080p25 as a valid resolution too?

The lip sync issue does not seem so bad now - the film I was using for testing was Pulp Fiction where they are sat talking in Fat Rabbit Slims! There is one bit that seems really bad and the rest seems ok, so I am suspecting the rip :-(

Just tried an X-Men movie as that was 24hz, and that seemed ok at first glance.

Bloomin' complicated all this stuff!

Will see how I get on anyway over the next day or so.

Jdiesel

I think there is something more untoward going on.. No matter if I use the inbuilt renderer or MADVR, when I check LAV there is no hardware acceleration going on.

I installed GPU-Z and GPU is sitting at 18-19% usage.

Something not right.

What GPU are you using? With my 650ti I have 30-40% when using Jinc3 to upscale from 720p to 1080p. I would try reinstalling LAV and MadVR and re-register the filters. My initial though is that when you hit Ctrl-J when watching a video and the info screen comes up that MadVR in enabled but maybe that is not the case. I assume your tray icon is there otherwise you wouldn't have been able to change the settings.

I'm using HD 4000.

I just installed MPC-HC to do some testing. It says MADVR is not available.

I have the tray icon, and when I play a movie with MADVR enabled it changes the refresh rate of the display, so it must be working.

It's all very odd. Also, MPC-HC seems to have some inbuilt LAV filters.. and they do show hardware acceleration being used.

I'm not sure if I should be seeing an active hardware decoder in LAV Video when using MADVR?

I have had a search around for some settings for MADVR and the Intel HD 4000 GPU, but came up short really.

Jdiesel

I'm not to sure about 1080p25 versus 1080p50. I'm guessing that 50hz is the better option because it's exactly twice the frame rate but I'm not familiar with PAL standards so someone else can likely give you a better answer. Hope you get things sorted out. I am very sensitive to lipsync issues and I fought with it forever when I was using Xbmc, with MBT I now longer have that issue and I can use MadVR without an external player. Couldn't be happier.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I can't remember off the top of my head but I only had the tray icon for one out of two LAV filters even when both were enabled. I'm pretty sure it was for the audio filter though. Maybe LAV isn't being used to decode the audio in your case. Do you have other filters of codecs installed on your system?

nickbuol

I'm using HD 4000.

I just installed MPC-HC to do some testing. It says MADVR is not available.

I have the tray icon, and when I play a movie with MADVR enabled it changes the refresh rate of the display, so it must be working.

It's all very odd. Also, MPC-HC seems to have some inbuilt LAV filters.. and they do show hardware acceleration being used.

I'm not sure if I should be seeing an active hardware decoder in LAV Video when using MADVR?

I have had a search around for some settings for MADVR and the Intel HD 4000 GPU, but came up short really.

You need the 32-bit version of MPC-HC in order for madVR to work, NOT the 64-bit....

• Like 2

Jdiesel

I would try using DXVA (copy back) as your hardware accelerator. For testing purposes only I would enable Jinc upscaling in MadVR, only because if it is working you will get lots of stutter and dropped frames with your GPU. Once you can determine if its running your not you can then back off your upscaling settings.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

You need the 32-bit version of MPC-HC in order for madVR to work, NOT the 64-bit....

You must also install LAV Filters 32bit for MadVR to work.

• Like 1

That'll be why then!

Missus watching her soaps at the mo, so will play again a little later..

You must also install LAV Filters 32bit for MadVR to work.

Oooooooh....

I'm not sure, but I think it installed both versions. Will check in a bit - shall I just install only 32bit?

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Oooooooh....

I'm not sure, but I think it installed both versions. Will check in a bit - shall I just install only 32bit?

Yes just install the 32bit filters.

Nope, only LAV. It is using LAV Audio, because I'm bitstreaming and if I turn off the formats in the audio decoder I end up with stereo.

I've gone back to the internal renderer in MBT for now - but it seems to be playing everything at 50hz - certainly my display doesn't change frequency, but then I dunno if it is supposed to with the internal player. No lip sync issues with the internal player either, but the picture isn't as nice!

I tried changing the audio delay in LAV Audio filter to 88ms and it helped a little, but wasn't quite right. I may mess about some more - no idea really how you work out what delay to apply!

Also not sure why Jinc 3 works ok on my HD 4000 - although I had no AR set, so maybe that was it.

Jdiesel

Can you post the internal player section from your system.xml? It can be found at c:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\config\system.xml

Jdiesel

Since I can never seem to find these tables when I want to I will post the link to them here for everyone else new to MadVR. Hope it is okay to post links to other forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver/60

There is some very good information on this page for determining what GPU is adequate for different scaling options in MadVR. Credit to renethx on AVS for doing all the testing.

• Like 2

I've spent the day reading up on this as it was doing my head in!

I've come to the conclusion that it is the well known issue with HD 4000 and the 24p audio sync issues.

Any suggestions for a discrete graphics card? Needs to be single slot, and low profile as my case is tiny :-)

Oh, and quiet as fan noise drives me potty!

Since I can never seem to find these tables when I want to I will post the link to them here for everyone else new to MadVR. Hope it is okay to post links to other forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver/60

There is some very good information on this page for determining what GPU is adequate for different scaling options in MadVR. Credit to renethx on AVS for doing all the testing.

Wow, that is an awesome link!

Jdiesel

I was using a Nvidia 630 GT before I upgraded to a 650ti. It was underpowered for MadVR Jinc3 but handled some of the less intensive processing like BiCubic. It had a tiny fan like most single slot cards but I didn't find it overly loud. I believe that AMD performs better at MadVR upscaling but I don't know how their current lineup performs and what cards are available in low profile form.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-R7-240-LP-Graphics/dp/B00FRHIIPK

Edit:

It doesn't look that there is much out there for low profile cards that aren't completely low end. Before you spend money on new hardware I would research a bit more. The upgrade would be marginal at best going to a current low profile card. I would see if there are any bios updates for your motherboard. I recall reading something about bios updates fixing some 24p sync issues back when I was using XBMC.

Edited by Jdiesel

Yeah, been looking around.

I have decent kit in this case but I also have a Fractal Node 304 & a modular PSU sitting around, so I could move it all.

Was toying with the idea of going for a GTX 760 in the Fractal and also running SteamOS on it..

Decisions, decisions!

I'll just stick with the internal player for now (which seems to play everything at the desktop resolution) until I can make my mind up which way to jump.

Apologies for straying off topic, you can have your thread back now!!

Ugh.. I wanna scream!!

Soooo.... I bought a GTX 760 as I decided that would make the HTPC into a bit of a gaming box for the kids too.

Anyway, I still have lip-sync issues with MadVR!!

No idea where the problem lies now - @@Jdiesel can you let me know your MadVR settings please?

Thanks very much!