madvr

dylanrellis

steelman1991

I certainly wasn't suggesting you were.

Many are frustrated, Some have a working system (Mfusick and I are two of the lucky ones), others, yourself included haven't - nature of the beast I'm afraid. Some have stuttering others don't with similar system set-ups - but good luck in getting to the bottom of it. Given the state of development I'm not sure adding/changing components at this stage is a necessary move, unless you have them lying about lol.

Definitely ....Gasp!

That is more about madVR Exclusive Mode only, vs general madVR support, although I would only assume that one would impact the other.

And just for the record for anyone reading this.  Sure I am frustrated by this not working in MBT, but I am frustrated mainly because I really like MBT so much and I want it to be the best that it can be with all of the components offered.

Then read, learn and... wait until Exclusive Mode is supported and until that happens you can test if you are able to run mpc-hc + madVR in windowed mode, I doubt.

nickbuol

I am reading, learning, experimenting, testing, posting results, etc... 

I know that I am new to these forums, but I am one of those people that will keep trying and experimenting and sharing results to help the general population if at all possible.  Heck, at some sites, I have even spent extra money and spent extra time to test things for others, even after my situation has been resolved.

I will keep plugging away and report my results in hopes that it helps someone else too once I get things figured out. 

nickbuol

Things are looking a LOT better.  I completely removed the Asus/AMD Catalyst software and video drivers, and reinstalled just the basic drivers (latest from AMD) needed for video and audio.  (That means that I couldn't do anything about checking  pulldown detection and the interlacing unchecked with the slider at Vector Adaptive as mentioned in a thread over at AVS.)
I changed my RAM speed in the BIOS to 2400 from 1600 (Mfusick's idea, even though it is probably unrelated.)
I then I changed in LAV RGB conversation to untouched.
I selected "use separate device for presentation" in madVR.

So I went back to testing Fast and Furious 6 and with the first 2:15 I got 1 dropped frame and one repeated frame, but they were shortly after the initial "chunk".  I tried it again from a dead stop (not a resume) and got 0 dropped or repeated frames.  This was WITHIN MBT. :)

I then went to my other test movie, Iron Man 3, and got ZERO dropped, repeated, or delayed frames in the 4:25 beginning that I was testing.  Again, all within MBT. :D :D

So it looks like the core was probably what I was suspecting at this point... The video card driver, its application software, and the settings within that software.

I will keep an eye on things as I actually go back to enjoying the HTPC.  Now I can also move on to other important things, like getting the HTPC running using my Harmony One remote instead of the wireless keyboard I've been using and its limited bluetooth range.  Ugh.

If things stay pretty steady and working, I will grab more screenshots and post them for documentation purposes.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Mfusick

Oh that sounds good Nick.  I am about to upgrade my GPU card from a 6870 to a 7870 because I think my GPU card might not quite be enough (it's old anyways and I will use it for my office PC incase I want to game at work)

I hope it gets better and not worse for me.   I am worried the newer card might not work as good based on your troubles,  but now that you seem to have things figured out I feel better.

I just got MadVR working on my HTPC. I personally not a fan of the smooth motion, unless its not working the way it should, just adds more bluring to the video image. Frame rate switching seems to work great. FINALLY. Switches to 1080p23 for 24fps movies and back to 60 when I stop the movie. Some settings I don't  see a difference but so far so good.

Looks real nice on my Panny Plasma when I set the TV to 48hz. nice smooth image, though very slight flickering. Turning contrast down seems to help with this.

Hm, so Madvr is not smart enough to know that not all movies need to be viewed at 24 FPS..darn

EDIT: FIXED. I just had to list "1080p60" as another resolution. Didn't think I had too.

Edited by A8HTPC

I have an AMD A8 3870K 3 Ghz APU w/ integrated Radeon 6550D Graphics overclocked to 900Mhz core installed in a ASUS F1A75-EVO Motherboard. 2x4GB 1866mhz Memory running at 1600Mhz.

TV is a Panasonic 42" Plasma (GT series) TC-P42GT25. Honestly I wish I had known the difference between GT and VT when I bought my plasma. The GT plasma "black" panel; since there is less gradation from black to white, is slightly illuminated when the pixels are supposedly "off". VT is supposed to have a much blacker panel.

Now when my graphics were set to 60hz not 23.976, smooth motion was very jerky. I wonder if I need to run Reclock at the same time? I wasn't able to get it to smooth out unless I was running at the correct 23.976 hz. Then my TV was showing 24p at 60hz (Later Changed to 48hz) so there was still some jerkyness, so I turned smooth motion on and then it was not so jerky anymore but the image was just blurry during fast movement. Maybe the integrated video is not well enough equipped to handle it, i dunno. But I got rid of the issue just turning on Auto Switching and turning off Smooth Motion. I have a video card in mind I want to get...but I need to wait a few years...since it costs over $1000 last time I checked lol. 

Edited by A8HTPC

I still get jerky playback with madvr for whatevers its worth in mbt. Runs silky smooth with lav and madvr configured the same in mpc-hc, i am just chalking it up to alpha stage hopefully. 

I also have the same integrated gpu, and am looking at a new graphics card maybe, but its only 200 dollars. 

Edited by Ghostm

Jdiesel

The ghosting could be from your display itself or it may be a video player issue. Do you know if Smooth Motion is being used for this movie? If it is try disabling it. I find it adds a very annoying blur to the video. It's possible that it might be the rip of the video itself. Do you notice it on any other videos? Bad quality during panning shots is usually associated with 3:2 pulldown conversion. Also what valid resolutions do you have set in MadVR? Which resolution is it switching to when playing Fight Club?

Edited by Jdiesel

nickbuol

I will check it out tonight and report back.  I will play the movie on my desktop computer and monitor as well to see if it is the rip.  The projector can handle a bunch of resolutions and refresh rates.  I also don't recall if I have smooth motion on or not.  I thought that when I turned it on, I was getting ghosting from EVERYTHING...  Maybe it is just the movie, which would suck because my blu-ray of it is scratched to snot (bought it a while back and it went through the wringer when it fell down inside one of the recliners before I ever tried to watch it), and I of course can't just rent a copy on blu-ray anywhere (nobody has it).  I had to pull some strings when travelling for work one time to borrow a good copy and rip it and return it before I left that city.  I won't be back there for several months and the person I borrowed it from and I aren't exactly "friends" so I would feel really odd borrowing it again.  Oh well, one bridge at a time.  Maybe the rip is fine, and yes, I still have that scraped up original disc and packaging for "licensing" purposes.

Jdiesel

I will check it out tonight and report back.  I will play the movie on my desktop computer and monitor as well to see if it is the rip.  The projector can handle a bunch of resolutions and refresh rates.  I also don't recall if I have smooth motion on or not.  I thought that when I turned it on, I was getting ghosting from EVERYTHING...  Maybe it is just the movie, which would suck because my blu-ray of it is scratched to snot (bought it a while back and it went through the wringer when it fell down inside one of the recliners before I ever tried to watch it), and I of course can't just rent a copy on blu-ray anywhere (nobody has it).  I had to pull some strings when travelling for work one time to borrow a good copy and rip it and return it before I left that city.  I won't be back there for several months and the person I borrowed it from and I aren't exactly "friends" so I would feel really odd borrowing it again.  Oh well, one bridge at a time.  Maybe the rip is fine, and yes, I still have that scraped up original disc and packaging for "licensing" purposes.

Post a screenshot of your MadVR information overlay while playing the video if you can (Ctrl-J).

nickbuol

Nevermind.  It is the source video.  It only impacts those words and nothing else. Even when playing back on my PC using Total Media Theater 6 and no madVR.

Jdiesel

Smooth Motion is intended to be used when the video fps does not match an available display refresh rate. An example would be that your TV doesn't support 24hz refresh rate and you are watching a 24fps video at 60hz. Reclock is useless in this situation because it can not adjust the speed by that amount. MadVR is usually able to determine when to use and when not to use smooth video but it is not perfect. Unless there is a situation where you absolutely need Smooth Motion, like my example above, I would recommend disabling it completely.

If you display supports 1080p23, 1080p,24 and 1080p60 you can enable treat 25fps as 24fps and let Reclock adjust the audio. If your display supports 1080p50 even better, there is not need for that option.

I would avoid Smooth Motion if possible, not only is it a little buggy but it also reduces the sharpness and adds an annoying blur.

nickbuol

What causes "image ghosting"?  or more importantly, what fixes it? 

I haven't changed anything since I got the dropped and repeated frams resolved, and things seemed good, but I just fired up Fight Club (which I have never seen before.... I know, I know....  I've been living under a rock.) and anyway, there is text that is superimposed on the video in the early part of the movie (see picture below) and when the camera pans (which is all the time), the letters "ghost" REALLY bad.

These are the words...  I snagged this from the internet, so it doesn't show any ghosting.

fight-club.jpg

Ideas?

Anyone got any tips for fixing lip sync issues with MADVR?

My picture looks superb (to my untrained eye) but the audio is miles out of sync.

Tried changing Intel QS to DXVA2 Copyback, but it makes no difference :-(

Baffling me..

Jdiesel

Are you getting any dropped frames? Are you using Reclock? Seems like it might be a Reclock issue to me.

No dropped frames, and nope, not using Reclock.

I'm playing on a Pioneer LX6090 and I have all the supported display modes listed in MADVR.

Jdiesel

Is it with all videos? What video frame rate and display resolution is it defaulting to? I'm not too familiar with the standards in the UK.

nickbuol

I had major lip sync issues when I started using my HTPC with madVR a month ago as well.  I believe that I had to adjust the delay in the receiver itself to solve the issue.  My fear was that in doing so, the lip sync would be out of whack for watching a disc on my standalone player (yes, I need to get rid of that) or via our Dish receiver, but they seem to be synced up, so maybe my receiver is doing it on an "indivual input" basis.

It starts off at 1080p50hz (desktop resolution)

It seems to be with all movies. When I check the overlay it says 23.97206Hz

I don't think adjusting the delay on the receiver will work, because the sync seems to "drift". i.e. not too bad (but still present) at the start, and then gets worse - unless it's my imagination of course!

I'll do some googling and see what I can come up with!

Ok, that made no difference.

I set chroma upscale to jinc 3 and image upscaling to jinx 3 and GPU-Z reported 56% GPU load. There were still no dropped frames and everything played fine!

So no idea what's going on here...

Lip sync is still miles out too!

Oh.. if I check in LAV Video (which doesn't go into the tray even though I ticked to tell it to) then it says no active decoder, but I'm not sure if that would only report correctly if it was from the tray icon?

No idea why but with recent MBT builds, LAV Video & LAV Audio no longer go into the system tray.

Edit : just check MPC-HC with MADVR and exactly the same lip sync problems, but the GPU usage is 74% instead.

Edited by psykix