madvr

dylanrellis

• 2 weeks later...
AmericanCrisis

MadVR switches refresh rates based on the refresh rate of the movie. Usually only works for blurays rips and not DVD rips. though most DVDs should be watched at 23.976 with reclock to help a bit further. You want your video refresh rate to be set to 23Hz in order to get as close as possible to 23.976fps. Not all video chipsets can achieve this. AMD is perfect at 23.976. INTEL Haswell is close at 23.973. NVIDIA I think at 23.972. I think you can make different configurations for INTEL and NVIDIA to get 23.976. ReClock will help with those who at stuck at refresh rates near or miles away from 23.976 fps.

MadVR is also an advanced video processor. Can be used to get better video quality and upscale to 1080p. Though you better have a really nice video card if you want to touch any of the up-scaling features. MadVR also has a smooth motion feature which is used to mask the judder you may get from inaccurate refresh rates. Some have luck, some don't. I don't use it since it kinda paints in the next frame. Looks weird.

Reclock will speed up or slow down the video and audio of the movie in order to sync the movie with the refresh rate of your video chipset. Usually takes a few seconds for reclock to learn and make adjustments.

If your TV supports 24p playback you will benefit from the smooth panning 23.976 configurations give you. If your TV does not support it, your stuck at 60hz and must use reclock. My TV supports 24p but gives the option for 48Hz or 60Hz when displaying 24p content. Anything in multiples of 24 will give you nice playback where as 60hz your TV or PC will need to do 3:2 pull down.

SEARCH For ALL of this and you will understand. So much information about all of this everywhere.

Little Info on refresh rates and frame rates.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/video-frame-rates-and-display-refresh-rates-beginners

Thank you for your response.  I download MPC-HC with MadVR and am pretty happy with it.  The screen now matches the frame rate.  

• 2 weeks later...
DigiTM

Just got a new mini itx gaming computer with a GTX780ti for the loungeroom.  I would like to use it for Mediabrowser and Steam. Just wondering what the best settings for MADVR I should use to max it out for awesome picture quality.

Edited by DigiTM

mombasa123

If you really want to know about he best MadVR settings for your HTPC, check this out :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver

Note MadVR  doesnt work with MBT yet but rocks with JRiver and MPC-HC.

For my Intel i5 + HD2500 onboard GPU i have Bicubic 75 + AR for Chroma and DXVA2 (HW) for Luma from the recommendations in the link. I can step it up another level or so but will stick to above for now.

Edited by mombasa123
  • Like 1

cylon

Note MadVR  doesnt work with MBT yet but rocks with JRiver and MPC-HC.

It is important that we don't mislead users. MadVR does work with MBT, I have been using it ever since it was implemented without an issue. What doesn't work is "Exclusive Mode" which is currently being worked on.

nickbuol

It is important that we don't mislead users. MadVR does work with MBT, I have been using it ever since it was implemented without an issue. What doesn't work is "Exclusive Mode" which is currently being worked on.

True, but it also doesn't work for a number of people (myself included).  Exclusive Mode is when MadVR can really shine, so until MBT does support that, we are missing out on some real potential.

mombasa123

ditto.

Works no issues with JRiver/MPC-HC but really doesnt in MDB on my and others hardware. So the implementation is less then optimal.

Please don't shoot the messenger. We all want it to wotk.

DigiTM

After a bit of fiddling I now have something I am happy with.

Image downscaling - Catmull-Rom with Anti-Ringing Filter and Scale in Linear Light
Image upscaling - Jinc (4 taps) with Anti-Ringing Filter
Chroma upscaling - NNEDI3 (32 neurons setting).

The MadVR icon is showing when playing media so I don't understand what people are meaning saying it's not implemented.

mombasa123

What CPU/GPU do you have?

Must be pretty high spec if the above settings work for you. Am figuring that MadVR implementation in MBT is less than optimal for mid spec hw (mine is Intel i5 / HD2500). As i keep saying, works perfectly in JRiver & MPC-HC on Catmull/DXVA2/Bicubic but horrid stuttering in MBT on any setting.

DigiTM

What CPU/GPU do you have?

Must be pretty high spec if the above settings work for you. Am figuring that MadVR implementation in MBT is less than optimal for mid spec hw (mine is Intel i5 / HD2500). As i keep saying, works perfectly in JRiver & MPC-HC on Catmull/DXVA2/Bicubic but horrid stuttering in MBT on any setting.

i7 4770 and GTX780ti.  Have it all in a Corsair 250D mini ITX case with water cooling to keep it whisper quiet and yet powerful enough for media and gaming.  

I used the settings I found here. http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?179769-Video-rendering-finally-caught-up-with-high-end-cards-say-Hi-to-NNEDI3!