MB3 + MCM Thumbnails

Tolerant

Tolerant

Currently using Win7.1x64, Emby Dev. Version 3.0.5637.29705, MCM v2.14 build 13415.810

I don't use Kodi / XBMC.

I use MCM to fetch and move Series / Movies for initial processing and then let MB3 pickup where it leaves off, mainly using MB3 only as my media browser. I recently noticed a second set of episode (and assume other) thumbnails. 

MCM for example, has a "metadata" folder in the Season folders to store it's thumbnails and xml's for each episode.

MB3 is set to use .NFO files not .XML, so this lets me manage things in MCM without messing up what MB3 has done and I don't mind having both a .XML and .NFO.

My problem imo is that now I have something like this:

TV\Vikings\

backdrop.jpg, banner.jpg, clearart.png, folder.jpg, logo.jpg, Season03-poster.jpg, series.xml, thumb.jpg, tvshow.nfo

TV\Vikings\Season 1\

banner.jpg

folder.jpg

Vikings - S01E01 - Rites of passage.mp4

Vikings - S01E01 - Rites of passage.nfo

Vikings - S01E01 - Rites of passage.JPG

TV\Vikings\metadata\

TV\Vikings\metadata\4383261.jpg

TV\Vikings\metadata\Vikings - S01E01 - Rites of passage.xml

Obviously, each episode has their own .mp4, .nfo, .jpg from MB3, but then in the MCM Metadata folder also their own #######.jpg and .xml.

I don't mind the MCM files, but it does bother me to have a second copy of the thumbnails alongside each .MP4 file since they previously exist during the MCM processing and are put in their own folder already by the time MB3 get's it's hands on my files.

Is there a way to NOT have MCM download a second set of episode thumbnails and respect the existing ones from MCM? If I clean the folder's using MCM, it removes the Kodi/XBMC images no longer in use such as the 'extra' thumbnails (so it thinks) and as fine as that is then MB3 no longer has any thumbnails, but it used to in past versions?

If there is no MB3 solution, I suppose I could tell MCM to stop providing thumbnails from files, but then I fear movies will not end up with a screenshot when none are available and that really isn't cool.  As it is now I am kind of at a loss trying to figure out how to get these two to work together instead of each wanting to fight over thumbnails. -- And yes, I did (for now) tell MB3 not to download thumbnails for SERIES. -- However, I think now this might leave me not having a main series thumbnail which isn't really going to work either if that is the case.

Side note, I also see Season folder images from MB3 for prior seasons I do not even have, are those necessary or am I missing a setting to disable those?

Any suggestions from anyone who has experienced a similar issue?

Tolerant

It looks like this thread might be the answer I am looking for, "Legacy" image saving.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17561-standard-mb2mb3-image-saving-convention/

EDIT: This does not seem to be helping in the least. MCM is till finding tons of thumb.jpg files to "clean" since I don't actually use Kodi / XBMC only MB3. :(

Edited by Tolerant

we adopted kodi standards probably about a year ago as our default image conventions. most users don't really care either way. what you could do is just tell MCM you're using Kodi and it shouldn't know the difference. Or you can try the legacy image saving setting, which does work perfectly fine but only for new images saved going forward. it will not move existing images.

Tolerant

we adopted kodi standards probably about a year ago as our default image conventions. most users don't really care either way. what you could do is just tell MCM you're using Kodi and it shouldn't know the difference. Or you can try the legacy image saving setting, which does work perfectly fine but only for new images saved going forward. it will not move existing images.

Yep, I tried the "Legacy" settings.. what it is doing though is to add a second set of thumbnails into the \metadata\ folder that MCM creates first during it's processing. So instead of just one XXXXXXXX.jpg and XXXXXXX.xml in that folder, each episode also gets a MB3 XXXXXXXXXX.jpg thumbnail. So the only diff. is that its moving them out of the \Season\ folder into the \Season\Metadata\ folder, but still creating them and not seeing that MCM has already created an image and xml for the video file. I get that not everything is going to work 100% with another program, and I don't mind that Emby is set to use the .NFO files and MCM is set to use the .XML by default, the only real issue for me is two seperate thumbnail images per episode. Obviously I still want the "thumb" for the actual series and movies if available, but I still want MB3 to show episode thumbs when I expand a season etc. Currently not able to do that with only the MCM prior (to Emby touching the files) images / XML pointing to those images.  I keep thinking maybe I am just missing a setting or something isn't right, but the more time I put into trying to solve this, the more it becomes clear, they just don't want to play nice together.

:(

Happy2Play

It has to be a setting somewhere or was at one time.  The only time I run into this problem is when I bulk add a series and it becomes a race be with MCM and Emby.

Edited by Happy2Play

i think it might be because MCM names the file with random numbers, then adds an entry to the xml file containing the name of the file. we do it in a much simpler way and give the image file name the same name as the video file.

There is nothing wrong with using MCM or any other external metadata tool, but I think you'll have a much simpler experience by just using our metadata.

Happy2Play

i think it might be because MCM names the file with random numbers, then adds an entry to the xml file containing the name of the file.

Yes MCM uses the TVDB image id as the image name.  I will do some testing to see what changed on a new install to cause this issue to happen.  I don't see this issue very often.

Edit:  Uninstalled and removed everything on test machine and reinstalled Emby and couldn't reproduce the double images after setting "Legacy" images.

Edited by Happy2Play

well we still support reading those file names. but since we're not saving with that convention, i wonder if MCM sees the images we save

Happy2Play

well we still support reading those file names. but since we're not saving with that convention, i wonder if MCM sees the images we save

Just tested, MCM doesn't see the Emby created/named thumbs.

Well we are not switching to saving with the tvdb id as the filename. That honestly is pretty messy because then you can't just look at the images in the folder and tell what episode they belong to. saving with the video filename actually dates back to MB2, so this has been around for a long time, probably 5 years now. I would suggest filing a feature request over in their community to recognize it.

Tolerant

Well we are not switching to saving with the tvdb id as the filename. That honestly is pretty messy because then you can't just look at the images in the folder and tell what episode they belong to. saving with the video filename actually dates back to MB2, so this has been around for a long time, probably 5 years now. I would suggest filing a feature request over in their community to recognize it.

Okie.. I asked, we shall see.

Happy2Play

I can't replicate the issue but if you tell Emby not to get images for episodes, does Emby show MCM images?

Tolerant

I can't replicate the issue but if you tell Emby not to get images for episodes, does Emby show MCM images?

Not for me, no. They just show the main show thumb for every episode.