Standard MB2/MB3 Image Saving Convention

DarWun
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

DarWun

I posted this question at the bottom of a topic that I had already marked as answered.  I've decided to repost it by itself as I suspect it will go unnoticed in the other topic.  Anyway, what happened to the option to set the image saving convention as "Standard MB2/MB3" in Version 3.0.5490.2?  I seem to recall that it used to be under "Metadata/Basics".  But it is no longer there.  The Kodi default settings are now being used for any new media files I add and when I do an advanced refresh of existing media.  I don't want that as the way images are stored for Kodi is not compatible with other programs and devices I use to access my media. 

GrotShot

It's under "Metadata | Services" and you have to choose each type of media. Massive backward step in the interface as far as I'm concerned.

DarWun

It's under "Metadata | Services" and you have to choose each type of media. Massive backward step in the interface as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I can see, the settings under "Metadata | Services" don't change anything related to the image saving convention.  For each of my media types, I have set "Media Browser Xml" as both the primary metadata reader and the metadata saver.  The option box for using NFO as a metadata saver is not selected.  All this changes is whether or not my metadata is stored as an Xml file or an NFO file.  It doesn't seem to change how the images are stored.  I'm still getting poster.jpg files instead of folder.jpg files.

Edited by DarWun

Maleficarum

As far as I remember it will always use the new naming regardless of xml or nfo settings but it will honour legacy names if you already have files with those names.

DarWun

As far as I remember it will always use the new naming regardless of xml or nfo settings but it will honour legacy names if you already have files with those names.

If this is how things work now, then Media Browser is not of much use to me anymore.  I was using it primarily for the metabrowser function.  It's great that it respects the settings if files named using the older convention already exist in the directory.  But if I add any new media I have to manually rename and move around the images that are downloaded.  Also, when doing an advanced refresh with the option selected to replace images MB downloads everything as per the new Kodi defaults. 

Edited by DarWun

I can add it back via a hidden config switch to the dev build. It is currently being revamped. We'll have our defaults and then you'll be able to pick specific filenames, things of that nature, etc. so you'll be able to prefer saving in folder.ext over poster.

• Like 3

DarWun

I can add it back via a hidden config switch to the dev build. It is currently being revamped. We'll have our defaults and then you'll be able to pick specific filenames, things of that nature, etc. so you'll be able to prefer saving in folder.ext over poster.

Excellent news!!!  Thanks Luke.  I suspect I'll start using other features over time.  But for now the flexibility of the Metadata Manager has been the primary reason for me using MB.

One thing that puzzles me though.  I don't know when this change was implemented.  But I did not notice it until I had to do a fresh install of MB a week ago.  I had already been using Version 3.0.5490.2 since the Beta.  But the upgrade path was by installing new versions over older versions.  The day before I did the fresh install, I had added a number of new series and movies to my media library.  The metadata and images were all downloaded using the "Standard MB2 / MB3" naming convention.

a fresh install is usually the way to ease people into changes. they're usually more accepting of them then. this change was actually months ago, but only applied to new installs. when existing users install fresh for whatever reason, the majority of them don't care about this kind of thing as long as it's working. so that's why it went unnoticed for so long.

• Solution

actually the config switch is already there. find the server's config.xml, shutdown the server. change ImageSavingConvention to Legacy

the switch will ultimately go away once the new settings are there.

• Like 1

DarWun

actually the config switch is already there. find the server's config.xml, shutdown the server. change ImageSavingConvention to Legacy

Thanks.  I found the ImageSavingConvention switch in system.xml.  It was set to "Compatible".  Changing it to "Legacy" fixed my issues with image downloading.

Edited by DarWun

• 1 year later...
daedalus

any possibility we could get the metadata nfo files also got saved in that metadata subfolder ?

That's not where NFOs go. We are simple following the rules that have already been established.

daedalus

pretty bad

i liked it to keeping the season folder "clean"

the xml saver plugin which was still able to do so badly got dropped and doesnt work anymore

Edited by daedalus

Happy2Play

pretty bad

i liked it to keeping the season folder "clean"

the xml saver plugin which was still able to do so badly got dropped and doesnt work anymore

I am still using the xml saver without issue, even though it got pulled from catalog.

daedalus

had to do a fresh install and copied over the plugin dll

2016-10-09 23:15:37.6626 Info App: Application version: 3.1.183.0
[...]
2016-10-09 23:15:38.3661 Info App: Loading XmlMetadata, Version=3.0.6009.3615, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[...]
2016-10-09 23:17:30.0321 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.1.183.0
Command line: C:\Portable Programme\Emby\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor count: 2
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
Program data path: C:\Portable Programme\Emby\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Portable Programme\Emby\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Der Typ "MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.IHasProductionLocations" in der Assembly "MediaBrowser.Controller, Version=3.1.183.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" konnte nicht geladen werden.
System.TypeLoadException
    bei XmlMetadata.XmlSaverHelpers.AddCommonNodes(BaseItem item, ILibraryManager libraryManager, StringBuilder builder)
    bei XmlMetadata.MovieXmlProvider.Save(IHasMetadata item, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    bei MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.<SaveMetadata>d__60.MoveNext()
Edited by daedalus

There might be an issue with the pre _ release server but it should be fine with the stable release

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Where is this information written to?  I updated a couple fields via the Metadata Manager and the information updated but isn't written to the xml and get the same errors.

daedalus

just confirming its working @ the stable release

hopefully this will still work in the future

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Was going to say you need to update the plugin.  v3.0.6127.26842

• 3 weeks later...
daedalus

XmlMetadata, Version=3.0.6143.6243

server v3.0.8400.0 broke the xml saver again now in the logs there isnt even an error in the metadata saver

daedalus

its not saving any xml data

no new xml nor updating existing xml files

and there is no error in the log about a failed saving process as the last time it broke