Photo - Cache (Thumbnails and default image size)

tgusler

tgusler

I have been trying to find a reliable, private, photo sharing application so I can move away from Dropbox or OneDrive. I have too many family photos to send them there but the interface is pretty decent and fast. I was giddie when I found that MB supports photos, too! I am new so I didn't catch this at first.

So my problem right now is I have a  lot of photos and browsing is very slow. Thumbnails are taking forever to show up and then downloading a photo to view takes ages.

Is there already an option to pre-cache the thumbnails or is that done each time someone loads an album? Or, is it done only one time when the first time the photo thumbnail is requested?

Is there an option to set the default image size once the thumbnail is clicked? For instance, I set the default image size, in MP or file size (2MP, 300KB) and have that cached, too. I have a lot of 35MP photos. Normally I use IrfanView   (http://www.irfanview.com/  - as if you didn't know about it already) to batch resize when I send them in email or upload to cloud services but I am trying to get away from that so the originals can be downloaded and printed without artifacts.

Is the thumbnail caching and default image size caching considered the same feature or should it be different posts?

Thank you for your help

tijloomens

Same problem here. I'd like to use Emby as a photo-, movie- and music server. Movies and music is handled fine, but there seems to be something wrong with the photo's functionality.

As a test, I installed Emby server both on Windows and Debian and the problem exists on both platforms:

- When opening a photo gallery, thumbnails take a while to display on the page.

- When clicking an image (mostly JPG), it takes ages to display (some images won't even display).

- Some folders do not have a preview thumbnail (just show an image of a white folder).

My current version is 3.0.5621.4 .

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks very much!

Edited by tijloomens

tijloomens

I solved most of the problem by manually replacing the ImageMagick DLL's in the Emby server folder with the DLL's from the 64-bit version (installer) from the official ImageMagick website. Most of the images are previewing and loading fast now.

I solved most of the problem by manually replacing the ImageMagick DLL's in the Emby server folder with the DLL's from the 64-bit version (installer) from the official ImageMagick website. Most of the images are previewing and loading fast now.

for what operating system?

I think it is more likely you are seeing improvement due to images being cached. If you replaced the assemblies using versions from the website then that would mean you're moving from Q8 to Q16 which is significantly slower.

tijloomens

I think it is more likely you are seeing improvement due to images being cached. If you replaced the assemblies using versions from the website then that would mean you're moving from Q8 to Q16 which is significantly slower.

Before I replaced the files there were many errors (logfiles: server-...). After replacing the ImageMagick DLL's, the errors were gone. I think these errors were causing Emby to slow down or even stall.

-- edit --

I found another fix on this forum, since 64-bits systems are not (yet?) fully supported by emby:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19476-emby-out-of-memory-errors/?p=199185 (use the 4gb patch)

So I re-installed the Emby software and ran the patch. Viewing images is much faster/better now.

Edited by tijloomens