FR: copy user / user templates

rabbit1543

sydlexius

@chefJust for giggles, will you be exposing your entrypoint(s) so that scripters can leverage your API?  I don't have a personal need for it, but I'd totally tinker with it!

Edited by sydlexius

Happy2Play

@chef Yes you have user config for views, but you also have policy for restrictions.

So if you already have a user setup a specific way it is a matter of copying config.xml and policy.xml from user to user.  But don't know if this can be done in real time.

Edited by Happy2Play

sydlexius

@chef Additionally, it might be nice for those folks with more impressive setups to be able to leverage LDAP OUs/Groups for such a plugin.

• Like 2

chef
52 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@chef Yes you have user config for views, but you also have policy for restrictions.

So if you already have a user setup a specific way it is a matter of copying config.xml and policy.xml from user to user.  But don't know if this can be done in real time.

Let's split this up into two separate config parts.

I know I could sure use the ability to copy views between users, but I haven't really looked to much into restrictions.

So if we have a views part, then a second part which deals with restrictions.

now with restrictions, how would we want to deal with them.

Might be easiest if we just copy them as well.

Edited by chef

Happy2Play

@chefas a template I would think mirroring from user A to user B would apply to both config/policy.

But I guess one could say I want same views for everyone but different restrictions for each so policy would be individual.

I would guess mapping similar to SCB Restore Users does.  Map user A views to user B, then an option to map user F policy to user B.  As the already created user will have the template.

In the end a user would already have to be configured to what they want to someone else. 

Or if the plugin will allow admin to create and store custom templates to apply to new users.  So custom saved template mapped to New user but still see this as a two-phase process unless plugin can create user with custom assigned template.

• Agree 1

chef
1 hour ago, sydlexius said:

@chefJust for giggles, will you be exposing your entrypoint(s) so that scripters can leverage your API?  I don't have a personal need for it, but I'd totally tinker with it!

You can easily access user policy right now.

If you look at the user service, you can get user views and other user account options.

Whatever isn't there, you can request extra data with "fields".

In the top picks plugin (almost finished) I placed a toggle which forces top picks library to the top of the user views using the policy.

So yeah, everything is there,

Sounds like we would just want to make a one click option to set multiple policy values at once for many users..?

Edited by chef

Cheesegeezer
14 minutes ago, chef said:

You can easily access user policy right now.

If you look at the user service, you can get user views and other user account options.

Whatever isn't there, you can request extra data with "fields".

In the top picks plugin (almost finished) I placed a toggle which forces top picks library to the top of the user views using the policy.

So yeah, everything is there,

Sounds like we would just want to make a one click option to set multiple policy values at once for many users..?

I looked at this a while ago about doing, and Eric’s suggestion makes perfect sense to let the user set up templates.

i was gonna start there but then rewrote VantagePoint, had maintenance to do with MediaToolbox and wrote subkiller (also close to release, just need to add SDH option) 

this would be perfect for you as can all be done in JavaScript with no C# other than the Plugin basics. 

we can team up if you want and knock this out quick if you want.

• Like 1

chef
10 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I looked at this a while ago about doing, and Eric’s suggestion makes perfect sense to let the user set up templates.

i was gonna start there but then rewrote VantagePoint, had maintenance to do with MediaToolbox and wrote subkiller (also close to release, just need to add SDH option) 

this would be perfect for you as can all be done in JavaScript with no C# other than the Plugin basics. 

we can team up if you want and knock this out quick if you want.

Yup! 👍

chef

So what's best with regards to setting up user templates?

I wouldn't want to recreate the entire users section. 

Could we just use existing user policies as templates?

Is that what you are talking about happy?

User A is the template we want use for User B and C.

A select box for the template user account and list of user check boxes to copy the policies over to?

Then some obvious alerts when copying any type of admin policies, or when the template user has access to the backend?

Edited by chef

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, chef said:

Could we just use existing user policies as templates?

Is that what you are talking about happy?

User A is the template we want use for User B and C.

Yes

First question would be will the plugin make a user or require admin to make user then use plugin to configure the user via existing user template?

It this plugin is just templating a created user then just mapping for user to user would be it.

But if plugin could have its own templates, then would not require creating possible dummy users to have existing templates.

But others need to chime in here for expectations.  As copy from user A to user B would be pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, chef said:

Then some obvious alerts when copying any type of admin policies, or when the template user has access to the backend?

And yes a popup alert on admin users or not make it possible to template admin.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

And yes a popup alert on admin users or not make it possible to template admin.

I would say that an admin has full access so there wouldn’t be a need to template this at all, 

so my thoughts would be more aimed at

Guest Kid, Guest Adult, 

otherwise why do we need to template users if they are gonna be permanent. It would be really to save time on setting up temporary users with a high change over rate. So adding in an active period before the account is automatically deleted might also be an option. 

my concern about this feature/plugin is…. i have heard people are selling emby accounts on servers for people to access media.. 

so i feel it should be a premium plugin, however, would need @ebr clearance to do this. 

Happy2Play

But it is as easy as a copy and paste from user to user so you could copy an existing users config/policy info into a folder and paste it into every user you create.

Cheesegeezer
47 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But it is as easy as a copy and paste from user to user so you could copy an existing users config/policy info into a folder and paste it into every user you create.

Is this a request, question or just a statement?

Cheesegeezer

@chef

I kicked of a Git Repo and added you. Just need you to accept.

I just started on the config UI.  

image.thumb.png.827b766e11a50f0bad779b14fad5be22.png

Calling it AdminBuddy lol :D 

image.thumb.png.5a371d33024c82b5e8aa0d6d39647184.png

• Like 2

chef

1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

@chef

I kicked of a Git Repo and added you. Just need you to accept.

I just started on the config UI.  

image.thumb.png.827b766e11a50f0bad779b14fad5be22.png

Calling it AdminBuddy lol :D 

image.thumb.png.5a371d33024c82b5e8aa0d6d39647184.png

Great! I like the name 😂.

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I think the best thing to do might be to use the API to copy the policy options over.

I think we should stir clear of the file system.

In my opinion.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Made some progress with this.  @chef  only on the second tab for the plugin for Copy User.  But i need to head out and get some syringes and anti-biotics for the sheep a couple of sick ones today.

One question to the community.....  we don't want passwords enabled for the new accounts?  Correct?

Admin setting this up only needs to set the Name of the account and give a default image tag?

So in order to create profile Templates, which is the next stage what from the existing below fields should be added to select or should it include all of them?

We got all the configuration from existing user

image.png.e181c41d0116d128fa2c98ab88590775.png

Getting policies in from an existing user

image.png.fec8e839baa7e5eb92d32e69443998fc.png

chef
7 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

my concern about this feature/plugin is…. i have heard people are selling emby accounts on servers for people to access media.. 

so i feel it should be a premium plugin, however, would need @ebr clearance to do this. 

😳 oh...

We definitely do NOT want users using this for any other purpose other then accessibility and ease of creating accounts for their friend and family.

The second the plugin got used for other nefarious reasons we would have to scrap it.

Let's hope our beloved community uses it for the right reasons.

Perhaps we would reconsider adding any capabilities that could be used otherwise. Like leave out any account timeout options. It's a good idea, but ... Give someone a meter and they'll take a mile. 😂

22 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Made some progress with this.  @chef  only on the second tab for the plugin for Copy User.  But i need to head out and get some syringes and anti-biotics for the sheep a couple of sick ones today.

One question to the community.....  we don't want passwords enabled for the new accounts?  Correct?

Admin setting this up only needs to set the Name of the account and give a default image tag?

So in order to create profile Templates, which is the next stage what from the existing below fields should be added to select or should it include all of them?

We got all the configuration from existing user

image.png.e181c41d0116d128fa2c98ab88590775.png

Getting policies in from an existing user

image.png.fec8e839baa7e5eb92d32e69443998fc.png

This looks good. Is it all JavaScript? That is very cool. I like that a lot.

Will you require[(alert)] user account is admin, or has access to server configuration?

Edited by chef

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, chef said:

😳 oh...

We definitely do NOT want users using this for any other purpose other then accessibility and ease of creating accounts for their friend and family.

The second the plugin got used for other nefarious reasons we would have to scrap it.

Let's hope our beloved community uses it for the right reasons.

Perhaps we would reconsider adding any capabilities that could be used otherwise. Like leave out any account timeout options. It's a good idea, but ... Give someone a meter and they'll take a mile. 😂

exactly and that’s what my big concern is here

9 minutes ago, chef said:

This looks good. Is it all JavaScript? That is very cool. I like that a lot.

Will you require[(alert)] user account is admin, or has access to server configuration?

Yeah so far it’s all JS.

I’ve already done the code that if a non admin user hits the copy button then an alert pops up And states they done have admin rights. If they do have admin rights that the next stage in the code to copy config and policy and to set name, passwords to false and set a default image.

boom job done.

templates is gonna take some more work, but I’m gonna use similar code to VP to walk admin thru setting up templates. 

• Like 1

chef
5 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

exactly and that’s what my big concern is here

Yeah so far it’s all JS.

I’ve already done the code that if a non admin user hits the copy button then an alert pops up And states they done have admin rights. If they do have admin rights that the next stage in the code to copy config and policy and to set name, passwords to false and set a default image.

boom job done.

templates is gonna take some more work, but I’m gonna use similar code to VP to walk admin thru setting up templates. 

😆 You're the man.

Can't wait to try this. 

Great job! Third party devs strike again! 

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

What y’all think about this.

admin could setup hidden users for template purposes. And we can just allow the plugin to show all users(hidden or not hidden) and this could be the best way and most economical way to get this done and dusted quickly. 

if there is a real need for templating then it’s easy enough to do just very time consuming.

thoughts would be appreciated 

Cheesegeezer
17 hours ago, sydlexius said:

after conducting the initial work on this, there is absolutely no need to create an api because... the api is already there and available,  and all the information is readily available with a few lines of code.

• Thanks 1

When you first setup a user, if you had the ability to copy all options from an existing user, would that suffice rather than building a templating system?

Because that's an easy win that could be added very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you first setup a user, if you had the ability to copy all options from an existing user, would that suffice rather than building a templating system?

Because that's an easy win that could be added very quickly.

I would say yes as mapping from existing user is basically all that is needed.

But others really need to chime in.