FlexRaid: Transparent RAID (tRAID) vs RAID over File System (RAID-F)

sfnetwork

Airbender

Hello

Does anyone know on how to Creating Network Shares in Transparent RAID ?

I am using this as guide

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/publishing-starting-a-transparent-raid-array/

Update

I think i got it so to create the shares i need to create it under windows by selecting the folder and right click and then click on advance sharing just like any normal shared folder in windows

Edited by Airbender

Airbender

pooling is a PIA in RAIDF, i dont use it - all sort of problems with shares and permissions

Its much better in RAIDT, I still don't use it

Hello Shaun

So what you say does not make sense to me sorry mybe because i am less tech savy or because i am new to this

please look at this statement :

6. As recommended above, users should only use the storage pool and not the transparent disks.

If for whatever reason drive letters are added to the transparent disks, it is recommended that they are removed so that all data access is done through the pool.

If you wish to access the transparent disks along with the storage pool, it is imperative that you disable caching on the storage pool (by editing the RAID options).

In this case in tRaid a usere MUST use the pool or disable the caching if i understand this correctly

Would to hear your input

Thanks

Airbender

Oh ok.. lol. 

Hi the Raid F is on my main server with 32 TB of data and so on , tRaid is on my second pc which has small drives and it is temp for tRaid test

Airbender

Hello

Been doing more test here and there and i might make a youtube video show howto install tRaid and configure it

but for sure Pool in Raid F rocks but parity build and update sucks big time. as far tRaid not sure yet as i am out of trial key and waiting on sales department to renw it for me and no response yet in 3 days so let see

Thanks

trusselo

from what i have been reading around here with you guys talking about these software raid setups....   they seem kinda... flaky.

no single software raid solution seems to be perfect for the task, or has issues with recovery in situations ect...

are hardware raid setups as problematic?  or is that what all the extra $$ is for with HW setups?

Airbender

Hi

Hardware raid fail too big time

When I use to work for data enter I use see diffrent kind of hardware failer and some data where not able to recover

To be honest both are ok software and hardware

It is your choice and what you like matter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airbender

Hello

here is the video i made for everyone Raid F in actions all my issue resolved now for both Raid F and tRaid

still cant deiced lol :)

Airbender

I will be curious what you end up doing..

I personally fine RAID F pretty good for a media server... 

Hi Mfusick ,

i am going with tRaid for sure , after comparing both f and t and based on my needs i have decided to give tRaid a go

Hope this help others

Thanks

crashkelly

Thanks for all the information you posted while going through this. Not at the point of setting flexRAID up yet but I will be soon and all of this, and your videos, will be a good source.

Cheers

Airbender

Thanks for all the information you posted while going through this. Not at the point of setting flexRAID up yet but I will be soon and all of this, and your videos, will be a good source.

Cheers

Hi

make sure you go over the wiki page also an this page http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,3168.0.html if you going with tRaid

crashkelly

Hi

make sure you go over the wiki page also an this page http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,3168.0.html if you going with tRaid

Absolutely and will do.

I have 5 weeks where my computing is limited to my Surface Pro so I will be doing lots of reading in preparation for re-setting up everything again

Cheers

Airbender

Absolutely and will do.

I have 5 weeks where my computing is limited to my Surface Pro so I will be doing lots of reading in preparation for re-setting up everything again

Cheers

Hi

I might be able to give you some hints , what is your setup looks like ? how many drives

crashkelly

U

Hi

I might be able to give you some hints , what is your setup looks like ? how many drives

Unfortunately my setup is non-existent at the moment. Had a week of nothing but enclosure failures and now my 14 drives are in a box and packed up for my upcoming move.

Shortly after getting into the new house I will be putting together some sort of server to hold all the drives and then I will be looking at flexRAID

Thanks

Airbender

U

Unfortunately my setup is non-existent at the moment. Had a week of nothing but enclosure failures and now my 14 drives are in a box and packed up for my upcoming move.

Shortly after getting into the new house I will be putting together some sort of server to hold all the drives and then I will be looking at flexRAID

Thanks

Hi

If i had money i would do what just like this article said

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested

One server with option to put over 20 hard drives and use SATA III Cards to connect them all and then run windows server 2012 + with tRaid but i did not have funds so i went with 2X Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 3.5" Black SATA I/II/III USB3.0 & eSATA 4 Bay External Enclosure with SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2E PCI-Express x1 SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card and it just worked no issue what so ever , the guys in Flexraid thing the controllers i am using are not powerful enugh for tRaid or Raid F so i open a ticket with Mediasonic and they are looking into advising me on something better to get as far eSATA controller to handle tRaid. but to be honest after 1 week of non stop issue with tRaid now i am at 90% completing the Raid so 3 TB left to go. i think personaly my setup will be good for 2 years and then i will need a real system

Hope this help

Airbender

Hello everyone ,

I made this video just for everyone to see tRaid in action it covers alot of talk everyone had in this post across 5 or 6 pages lol.

tRaid in action on my real system :)

Enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the concepts of Raid's and other file protection systems, but have been doing some research lately and want to build a proper server/backup machine. It seems like the majority are on WHS 2011 and FlexRaid-F. Right now I'm just running external drives off my main HTPC with MBServer installed and no backup system. I've got 2x 3TB and 2x 1TB drives, plus one more 1TB drive (all external drives) that I'm not currently using, but will use on my server build.

Is the consensus here (I value the opinions of other MB users, due to help I've received in the past from the MB community) that a server machine running FlexRaid-F with pooling is the most reliable/efficient setup for my needs? It will be 100% used for media files (ie. no documents or personal photos, etc. ) and I will pick up an extra 3TB drive for parity.

Another question, for those who may be able to answer it. Do I have anything to gain/lose by choosing Windows 8 over WHS 2011 or vise versa? And do I install MBServer on my FlexRaid server, or leave it on my main HTPC and just point it to my server machine?

Basically, since I'm new to this, I want the simplest/most efficient backup system I can get with the least risk of losing any data, and low cost of setup. Which is what led me to believe Raid-F would be my best choice.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any pointers I can get on this subject, since I've been running these drives for a few years now with no backup, I've been getting nervous lately.

Anyone have an opinion on my last post? I need to do something before I end up with a drive failure, I just wanna make sure I'm headed in the right direction first...

Airbender

Anyone have an opinion on my last post? I need to do something before I end up with a drive failure, I just wanna make sure I'm headed in the right direction first...

Hello PMAC,

"It seems like the majority are on WHS 2011 and FlexRaid-F. Right now I'm just running external drives off my main HTPC with MBServer installed and no backup system"

Yes majority are on WHS 2011 and FlexRaid-F because WHS has few good functions

1- Backup any pc with client plugin

2- Folder re-directions

3- better file sharing

The other options are server 2012 or windows 7 64bit

"Is the consensus here (I value the opinions of other MB users, due to help I've received in the past from the MB community) that a server machine running FlexRaid-F with pooling is the most reliable/efficient setup for my needs? It will be 100% used for media files (ie. no documents or personal photos, etc. ) and I will pick up an extra 3TB drive for parity."

oK I would recommend you to get 4TB drive for Parity. FlexRaid-F with pooling is great but i personaly did not like it all bits of files get writen all of the drives which means in the future you will have to use pool regardless u like Raid F or not but the pool come handy when you run out of space , you can add new drive and you are done and majority of big companies use pool make life easy but again it was not for me so i went with tRaid instead and i disabled the pool

i would higly recommand you to check all my videos on tRaid before you go with t or f

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3077-installing-transparent-raid-for-first-time/

"Another question, for those who may be able to answer it. Do I have anything to gain/lose by choosing Windows 8 over WHS 2011 or vise versa? And do I install MBServer on my FlexRaid server, or leave it on my main HTPC and just point it to my server machine?"

It is always better to use a server software for server but only advantage of WHS is you get your own personal secure home website , easy files and pic sharing and as i said with home server you get an option to back up all your pc's and other devices using free plugin and it is cool because that plugin will boot your pc at time you selected and start back up and restore it back over the network. 

Windows 8 , can be run also u wont be able to backup laptops and other pc's that all

"Basically, since I'm new to this, I want the simplest/most efficient backup system I can get with the least risk of losing any data, and low cost of setup. Which is what led me to believe Raid-F would be my best choice."

Dude go with WHS 2011 and FlexRaid-F or WHS 2011 and FlexRaid-T both are great , except tRaid is more advance as it is transparent so your parity build is on real time. 

Ok so here is my setup:

Windows 7 64bit with tRaid

2x120 GB SSD on Hardware Raid 1

1 60GB SSD for Mediabrowser

1 2TB drive for all my extra files , Sab , couch , ect ( files from this drive goes to other drive )

1 4TB Parity drive 1

between 26 to 30 TB drives of all different size in tRaid all sync properly

Finally Crush plan running to backup all drives in tRaid to cloud back up

anyway i hope this help  feel free to ask any other questions you have

Good Luck