Metadata: force auto-fill missing info with existing .nfo

doonze

doonze

I recently encountered an issue where because I had existing .nfo files, Emby wasn't downloading (the much much better) TMDB info. (Without manual intervention that is) Would it be possible/feasible to add an option to force it to still look for "missing" metadata even if an existing .nfo is found? I understand some people might want to keep their existing .nfo's and not have them touched. as far as I'm concerned I would rather it override any existing .nfo and replace the info with anything it finds in TMDB. It could be a checkbox option, with the current behavior as default, so people don't get their existing .nfo's blow away unless that's what they choose.  

In hindsight, I should have done a file search for .nfo, selected them all, and hit delete. Then let Emby build from scratch. I also now have SAB and CP removing any .nfo info, and I just let Emby build the metadata from scratch. 

If this isn't possible, maybe a little note in the Dashboard Metadata area about how that if existing .nfo's are found, nothing will be auto-updated. It was driving me nuts for awhile. The way it's currently worded, I assumed it would search TMDB and OMDB for ANY missing info in the .nfo's. To me that's the way it reads. But it seems if a .nfo already exist, if does nothing but read the existing .nfo. 

Edited by doonze

• 3 months later...

Funny, I'm having the exact opposite problem. My corrected .nfo files keep getting overwritten with TMDB info, Emby seems to be completely overlooking my .nfo files if they've been touched by any external tool.

In regards to your problem, when going in to edit your files from the Metadata Manager, click the "..." on the movie's metadata page and select "Advanced Refresh", and select "Add missing data only". This should cause Emby to only download the missing data as you requested.

... if they've been touched by any external tool.

Make sure that tool is saving valid xml in the files.

Make sure that tool is saving valid xml in the files.

Am doing. Usually it's simple copy-paste work from one to another, and I consider myself fairly veteran working with xml.