DVD Folder Structure - Not able to play ripped DVDs

pdebelak
Go to solution Solved by swhitmore,

pdebelak

Hi Folks,

I am a long time Windows Media Centre user (since XPMC) and have been running Media Browser as a paid supporter (awesome product) since version 2.x.x. I have a massive collection (well over 1000 movies) stored on 16TB of network connected NAS, and 6TB of USB connected storage. I also run my Blu-Rays and 3d Blu-Ray ISO's from this network storage.

I installed Media Browser 3 server (3.0.5061) and classic client last night on my Windows 7 64Bit dedicated lounge room MC. I run all my DVD images on my NAS servers and connecting using the recommended UNC paths. I rip my DVD's using DVD Shrink and AnyDVD HD for decryption.

I store my normal DVD collection in VOB format to maintain chapters, etc. For example:

1. Kids DVDs\Man of Steel (2013)\files

2. Dads DVDs\Ted (2012)\files

Note, I don't always add the year in brackets unless I have to because their is a duplicate name.

I do not store the ripped VOBs in the VIDEO_TS subfolder, but directly under the name of the movie as above (ie, Moviename folder and year in brackets). I have setup my libraries under the new web interface of MB3 as I use to have them in MB2.6.2. Except I haven't seen an option to span the library across multiple folders. Eg: I use to merge one library across multiple folders which was an awesome feature in 2.6.2 and earlier.

Problem - For some reason, my libraries are picked up, but the VOB files within are not. That means I click on the item, and it is as if the files are not recognised at all. Have I missed something in the installation and setup? I've refreshed the library, searched the support forums, moved the files under a VIDEO_TS sub-folder, but none of these things have allowed me to play a normal DVD the way I use to with version 2.6.2.

I'm sure it is something I have overlooked. Please respond if you can help out.

Cheers Paul

pdebelak

You need video_ts folders for us to recognize those as DVDs.

Thanks for the response. I have already tried this by creating a brand new directory and moving the DVD VOB files to a VIDEO_TS subfolder. Eg: \\servername\movies\Dads Movies\Man of Steel (2013)\VIDEO_TS\*.* and it made no difference at all. I got the same result.

swhitmore

Have you had a chance to read this yet?

Media Files & Folders Structure

Since the server didn't originality picked it up as a DVD folder, it might still think it's not. Try a refresh, and also remove any .xml files in there.

Edited by swhitmore

pdebelak

Have you had a chance to read this yet?

Media Files & Folders Structure

Since the server didn't originality picked it up as a DVD folder, it might still think it's not. Try a refresh, and also remove any .xml files in there.

Sure did. I will try the refresh piece as well. However, if MB3 no longer supports the structure I've been using all along, not sure how I will go about automating the move of thousands of files and folders. Windows Media Centre natively supports having the VOB files, normally found in the VIDEO_TS folder, straight in the movie folder name. I'll give it a go again and report back. Thanks for all your help.

pdebelak

OK, so I moved a few movies from (Example)  \\Servername\Kids DVDs\Man of Steel (2013)\files to \\Servername\Kids DVDs\Man of Steel (2013)\VIDEO_TS\files, did a refresh and the Media Browser picked them up as movies. Thanks to Scott for the advice, but I now have a challenge which I will ask the forum to kindly help me with.

I need to write a batch file (I'm not a coder so a script is out of the question) to go through each movie folder and:

1. Create a VIDEO_TS folder

2. Delete any file which is not a native DVD file (as I currently have backdrops and XML files within the folders where the VOBS are stored)

3. Move the rest of the DVD VOB files to the new VIDEO_TS file

Once completed for this folder, move to the next folder and do it all again. Is anyone out there able to help me with a batch set of commands that I can test please. I cannot imagine doing this for 1000's of folders manually. :)

pdebelak

ReNamer might do that for you. Glad you got it sorted.

Any other suggestions as I've found a product called "Mass Folder Manager Suite 6" but it is $150. I would buy it for less and it looks awesome but not worth $150 to me. To the admins, is it possible to support DVDs in the movie folder structure without VIDEO_TS or can someone write a tool with some intelligence or parameters that can help members like me. Happy to pay a fair price for a tool. :)

pdebelak

ReNamer might do that for you. Glad you got it sorted.

Hi Scott, I tried ReNamer but this won't do what I need. I've also searched the web for products that can do this and so far no luck. My best best is to find someone who knows how to write batch files or VB Scripts to do this for me as what I'm trying to do is not complex for a person with those skills. I'll keep searching, but in the meantime, I'm 50-60 DVDs into the renaming of ~1500. It is going to be a long haul to finish the collection. If anyone wants to get in touch with me for a solution, I am happy to make a small donation for your trouble as long as it works  :P

swhitmore

It can be done pretty easily with a batch script. I'll write one up. I'm not the greatest at batch scripts though, so it probably will be a bit clunky.

Edited by swhitmore

pdebelak

It can be done pretty easily with a batch script. I'll write one up. I'm not the greatest at batch scripts though, so it probably will be a bit clunky.

Scott. I don't mind how clunky as long as it does the job. Thanks heaps for offering. I will obviously test it out before pointing it to my priceless media collection but what I'm after is really basic stuff. I know how to do very basic batch files, and can edit a batch file to change variables, settings, etc once the logic is in place, but not good at the more advanced bits.

Requirements just to be clear are:

• Point batch file to top level movie directory. eg: \\server\Movies\
  • Script does the following in each 1st level sub directory under \\server\Movies\
  • Checks to see if a VIDEO_TS folder already exists. If so, do not create one, if not, create VIDEO_TS directory (eg: \\server\movies\man of steel (2013)\VIDEO_TS
  • Move all files with the following extensions to the VIDEO_TS folder (*.VOB *.BUP *.IFO)
  • Once completed, move to the next movie folder

Thanks again for offering to assist, but if it gets too difficult, please don't spend too much time on it. In the meantime, I will keep trying to see what my other options are  :)

Cheers Paul

Edited by pdebelak

swhitmore

I have one idea, it's a bit crude and not the way I would want to do it, but it will work. Do you have any folders with square brackets though?

pdebelak

I have one idea, it's a bit crude and not the way I would want to do it, but it will work. Do you have any folders with square brackets though?

Nope. No square brackets. Why?

• Solution
swhitmore

Finished your batch script. I'm quite proud of it  :) Luckily it looked work related so my manager didn't say anything  ;)

Place this in your collection folder. eg: \\server\Movies\

It won't move the files or create a VIDEO_TS folder if it exists already. Forget about the square brackets, I didn't end up using that delimiter idea.

@echo off
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

for /d %%d in ("%~dp0*") do (
  set "folder=%%~d\VIDEO_TS"
  if exist "!folder!" (
    if not exist "!folder!\" echo "!folder!" exists as a file! 1>&2
  ) else (
    mkdir "!folder!"
    for %%o in (.VOB .BUP .IFO) do move "%%~d\*%%o" "!folder!"
  )
)
endlocal
pause
Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 4

pdebelak

Finished your batch script. I'm quite proud of it :) Luckily it looked work related so my manager didn't say anything ;)

Place this in your collection folder. eg: \\server\Movies\

It won't move the files or create a VIDEO_TS folder if it exists already. Forget about the square brackets, I didn't end up using that delimiter idea.

@echo off
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

for /d %%d in ("%~dp0*") do (
  set "folder=%%~d\VIDEO_TS"
  if exist "!folder!" (
    if not exist "!folder!\" echo "!folder!" exists as a file! 1>&2
  ) else (
    mkdir "!folder!"
    for %%o in (.VOB .BUP .IFO) do move "%%~d\*%%o" "!folder!"
  )
)
endlocal
pause

Thanks a lot Scott. I will give it a go when I get home from work. So I assume I just need to create a batch file and copy this code into the filename.bat file and run it from the directory. I will test it first on a smaller directory but I'm sure it will be fine. Will let you know the results :)

swhitmore

Thanks a lot Scott. I will give it a go when I get home from work. So I assume I just need to create a batch file and copy this code into the filename.bat file and run it from the directory. I will test it first on a smaller directory but I'm sure it will be fine. Will let you know the results :)

Yep that's right. I can't attach .cmd files in the forum, but just copy the code into notepad, save it in your collection folder, and rename the .txt extension to .cmd

Yes, please use it on a sample first, I would hate to fuck up your library. I think the script it solid. I did test it a fair bit, but there is every chance I missed something.

• Like 1

pdebelak

Yep that's right. I can't attach .cmd files in the forum, but just copy the code into notepad, save it in your collection folder, and rename the .txt extension to .cmd

Yes, please use it on a sample first, I would hate to fuck up your library. I think the script it solid. I did test it a fair bit, but there is every chance I missed something.

You are a legend. IT WORKED! Thank you so much Scott. It scanned over 1300 directories and did exactly what I needed. A very useful time saver for those, who like me, didn't have their DVD VOB files under the VIDEO_TS folder.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Glad it worked! My batch scripting was a little rusty :P

Edited by swhitmore