• Mediacenter
    • Photoshop
    • Ableton
    • Windows games
    • Autocad
    • Turbocad
    • etc etc etc
  • Android Apps

A windows 8 pro tablet in combination with the free bluestacks software installed gives you android app support, you get the best of both worlds. This can be with any tablet running windows 8 PRO not RT. RT is as good as an ipad, just for consumption not productivity but android and ipad are better than Windows RT by a longshot. If you have no need to be be productive such as creating content, then the iPad mini With Retina Display that was just announced today is good enough or the Nexus 7 as suggested.

I'm with you on the Surface Pro 2 + Bluestack.  This was planned as my go to tablet prior to it's release.  I just couldn't get passed the battery life.  Even though it was significantly increased with the Haswell processor I just didn't want to be concerned about it shutting down on me at the worst time.  I find this a problem often enough on the Nabi's.  The kids will play with them for about 30 minutes and they will still have significant life left, but then never think to plug them back in so the next day when they go to use them their usually dead or almost dead.  For the kids sake is does make them more responsible for making sure their devices are charged, however, I use mine significantly more that I need it to last a full day with Wifi and bluetooth working consistently.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 because I can swap the battery when it dies, I won't use a iPhone or Nexus for the reason I can't swap the battery.  Unfortunately, there are very few tablets which allow the user to swap batteries for very valid reasons, most importantly they are significantly larger and less portable.

Starkadius

So many great tablets coming out.  Wonder if the desktop PC will phase out of existence eventually.

The desktop PC will phase out for the general population since the majority use their desktops just to check email/browser online/look at videos (media consumption) which in that case they only need their smartphone or a regular tablet. For businesses, studios  and pretty much anybody that creates content (music production, video production, game development, app development, drafting etc) the desktop will continue being the primary way of getting work done since productivity for the most part requires multitasking (multiple monitors, windows etc) and raw power. Let's not forget hardcore PC gaming which a desktop can provide.

The long term future though seems to be heading towards a cloud based computing where all our operating systems, files, media will be stored externally on the cloud and we will simply have screens(in the form of a tablet, phone, monitor) that will receive that information. This assumes that the infrastructure of the internet speeds will have increased substantially by that point. It looks like everything will be subscription based since its a steady cash cow for those companies providing such services.

Edited by Starkadius

We only have the Nabi 2 tablet, which is my little girls but it runs the Android app very well...

Ive had a go with ipads before and while I like them I cant justify buying one as my iPhone dose everything I need it too...

As for cloud baste systems there all well and good if you have a good internet connection, my broadband is only 1 meg, I get better 3G phone coverage but only with O2 phone operator and they don't do unlimited data and in some areas I go to I don't even get 3G coverage..