Tvheadend plugin for Emby - Beta 1

Tolotos

Check you users on TVH (and permissions) and make sure that you configured the plugin with the correct username, password etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefnerd

I think I've attached the correct log for it attempting to access headend.

No Channels play, guide loads fine, Recordings all there, Recordings play fine only Live Channels are affected. TVHeadend works perfectly with everything else like Kodi it's only Live Channels in Emby affected

Log.txt

Edited by chiefnerd

Still looks like a problem on TVH side. Is TVH that is giving a 503 error to Emby request. You may want to check in TVH forums too.

Are you using the same user to stream with Emby and Kodi? Same streaming profiles?

chiefnerd

Totally different profile fc7. I've given the profile full rights in TVH, tried with every streaming profile- htsp, mkv and passthrough and all give the same issue. If I use the profile we generated for Emby in Kodi it works perfectly as well.

If I test a channel from the TVH web interface it gives a totally different link (not token, the channel) to the one emby is generating. Emby seems to be generating a totally random channel string, even the base is different:

From TVH Web Interface- http://62.210.249.4:9981/stream/channel/d780b8509a9788e37f21596e70b15a6f

From Emby http://62.210.249.4:9981/stream/channelid/1354268887

This is the TVH version- HTS Tvheadend 4.0.9-4~gac9e47d~trusty

And if we post this in the TVH forums I'm pretty sure they'll just blame the plugin.

chiefnerd

QUICK UPDATE

I've generated a totally new streaming profile- just ts passthrough, identical to another and assigned the emby account the new ts streaming profile and suddenly channels have started playing so woohoo!

Next issue is that Emby had disconnected from TVH and wouldn't reconnect til I restarted Emby- any idea? Not too big an issue as I can keep an eye on it I suppose.

Also some of the channel icons seem to have gone a bit strange (see attached)- any idea what's happening there? It's only 2 channels out of 97 so it's no big deal at all, just be good to know what's causing it.

post-117187-0-67559800-1466577181_thumb.png

Tolotos

The plugin should reconnect if the first request from Emby is received. 

Try play a channel of add a recording. 

chiefnerd

Tolotos...if a channel is called when disconnected it does not reconnect. I don't know why, there's no error in TVH it simply doesn't try.

When a stream is opened by Emby it doesn't show in subscriptions as being from Emby but rather a blank user name and then under connections on top of showing the emby account being logged in it will then show an additional blank connection from the same IP. Not sure if that helps at all?

Edited by chiefnerd

QUICK UPDATE

I've generated a totally new streaming profile- just ts passthrough, identical to another and assigned the emby account the new ts streaming profile and suddenly channels have started playing so woohoo!

Next issue is that Emby had disconnected from TVH and wouldn't reconnect til I restarted Emby- any idea? Not too big an issue as I can keep an eye on it I suppose.

Also some of the channel icons seem to have gone a bit strange (see attached)- any idea what's happening there? It's only 2 channels out of 97 so it's no big deal at all, just be good to know what's causing it.

Super. Thanks for sharing as this allowed me see streams in both the web UI and client app (though I need to set video rendered to EVR as EVR+ doesn't work)

However, playback in both is somewhat choppy (I'm seeing dropped frames and some audio noise.

I note my server cpu utilization maxes out during TV playback so I suspect some emby transcoding going on. (this doesn't happen in Kodi, for example).

Note directly on topic but is there any way of getting Emby not to transcode and just pass through streams?

Thanks

Note directly on topic but is there any way of getting Emby not to transcode and just pass through streams?

Thanks

We already do this when the device supports the content natively, if enough media information is present from the tv plugin to make that determination.

We already do this when the device supports the content natively, if enough media information is present from the tv plugin to make that determination.

You may want to enable the stream probing feature in the config options.

You may want to enable the stream probing feature in the config options.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me (the end user) or the plugin developer.

As a user, I had a look at the plugin settings panel and saw no mention of any probing settings.

Honestly, I find the whole transcoding set up in Emby fairly obtuse. I get it for high-res media being streamed to a mobile device but for a PC hardwired on the same network as the server, why does it insist on transcoding - why not a simple setting to disable transcoding either globally or on a device basis?

Thanks

It was directed at you @@meep.

Try to enable the subs and multi audio detection feature. This will enable stream probing in the plugin and will handle a lot of useful information about the stream to Emby.

27f23f0773f27e48bfc04ee3bb1e2a85.jpg

Regarding transcoding remember that even on a PC not every Emby client can play any type of stream so yet transcoding may be needed even when the client is PC using the webclient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hijinx

I'm running with Emby and TVH plugin.

Mostly I think its working - i can see listings, watch channels etc :)

One small thing is that I dont get channel icons shown.

My icons are configured in tvh as URLs to public internet available files (from my dropbox public folder).

Icons working well in tvh admin, kodi, etc, but not in emby.

emby version: 3.0.5973.0

tvh plugin version: 1.0.5989.517

tvh version: 4.1-1670~g5a94400

Any ideas how to fix this would be much appreciated!

It was directed at you @@meep.

Try to enable the subs and multi audio detection feature. This will enable stream probing in the plugin and will handle a lot of useful information about the stream to Emby.

27f23f0773f27e48bfc04ee3bb1e2a85.jpg

Regarding transcoding remember that even on a PC not every Emby client can play any type of stream so yet transcoding may be needed even when the client is PC using the webclient.

Thanks for clarifying this.

I've enabled both those options and restarted Emby but it's still insisting on transcoding content to iPad, desktop browser and Emby desktop client, pushing up CPU usage on the server. I might keep ity for occasional tablet viewing of LiveTV but it certainly couldn't replace my 4x Kodi front ends which can all display the same TVHeadEnd originated content with no impact on the server at all.

Appreciate the rapid responses though.

Thanks for clarifying this.

I've enabled both those options and restarted Emby but it's still insisting on transcoding content to iPad, desktop browser and Emby desktop client, pushing up CPU usage on the server. I might keep ity for occasional tablet viewing of LiveTV but it certainly couldn't replace my 4x Kodi front ends which can all display the same TVHeadEnd originated content with no impact on the server at all.

Appreciate the rapid responses though.

Keep in mind that digital tv is usually broadcasted using mpeg2. Correct me if I'm wrong but iOS is not capable of playing this natively hence why it's transcoded.

Kodi on the other hand is able play it it natively.

Keep in mind that digital tv is usually broadcasted using mpeg2. Correct me if I'm wrong but iOS is not capable of playing this natively hence why it's transcoded.

Kodi on the other hand is able play it it natively.

Indeed. 

I use Emby server to manage all my music, TV shows and Movies. TVHeadEnd for PVR.

I use Kodi as a client around the house as it's flexible, cross-platform and configurable. The only downside is tablet support for occasional use. Emby web UI will work for this as I can live with this transcoding for one device but couldn't possibly support multiple clients.

rubenverhoef

Hi,

I want to use the Emby Build-in DVR function with tvheadend as backend for serving the streams (and EPG data).

Is this possible or can this be possible with your plugin?

I know i can make a m3u playlist and use this in emby but the streams with your plugin works much better.

Thanks!

fc7

Hi,

I want to use the Emby Build-in DVR function with tvheadend as backend for serving the streams (and EPG data).

Is this possible or can this be possible with your plugin?

I know i can make a m3u playlist and use this in emby but the streams with your plugin works much better.

Thanks!

Not sure I really understood the question but I will try to answer it anyway. :)

So basically all the heavy lifting will be done by TVH. Emby will only tell TVH what you want to record via the plugin but the recording will be actually done and stored on TVH. When you want to play it back then Emby will request the stream from TVH and in turn serve it to Emby clients.

So to summarize Emby DVR subsystem is not really used.

It's not great because among other things when you watch a recording since Emby streams it from TVH just as another live channel, trick modes are not available. You can't rewind or fast forward which is a very basic functionality you would expect while watching a recording. :(

To have a better experience the plug-in should be changed to use TVH HTSP protocol for streaming (instead of http) but also probably Emby should be changed since as far as I know right now Emby is only able to stream from a file or an http source....

Just my two cents

actually the server can handle lots of protocols. anything that ffmpeg accepts.