Lock 'Sort name'

Ultroman

Ultroman

I add e.g. 'Hobbit 1', 'Hobbit 2' etc. as 'Sort Name' manually, so the titles appear in the right order. Every time I update/refresh the data for one of such items, it removes my manually added 'Sort name'. Is there even a small chance, that one of the metadata sources actually supplies a 'Sort Name'? If not, can it please be omitted from the metadata refreshes?

P.S. Massive thanks and props for a very nice mediabrowser!

Edited by Ultroman

we don't actually set the SortName value anywhere unless you manually fill it in, so if you're finding that it's getting erased, you probably have something in metadata files that is getting read.

Ultroman

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I thought the metadata-files were based on what Emby fetches from its sources.

To be clear, I use the 'Identify' function to find the correct title for my file, and when the information has been fetched, I click 'Save'. Then I check the sorting, and if it's wrong (because of weird naming of the sequel compared to the first movie), I type in a 'Sort Name' (e.g. Hobbit 2) and click 'Save'. Then, if I later go to the title again, and click 'Refresh' to get updated information/images, it fetches new information into all fields, and clears the 'Sort Name' field. This can be reproduced on all my movie titles.

If it has something to do with my metadata, how would I go about finding out where something is wrong?

Happy2Play

Unable to replicate.  Is you metadata saved with media?

Ultroman

Unable to replicate.  Is you metadata saved with media?

No. My metadata is set to download to a separate folder on my harddrive. It's really weird that you can't reproduce it. I'm doing everything through your awesome web-interface, by entering the local ip and port of my Emby-server, and using the Metadata Manager.

Is there anything I can do, to provide you with more information? Or something I can check?

Deathsquirrel

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I thought the metadata-files were based on what Emby fetches from its sources.

To be clear, I use the 'Identify' function to find the correct title for my file, and when the information has been fetched, I click 'Save'. Then I check the sorting, and if it's wrong (because of weird naming of the sequel compared to the first movie), I type in a 'Sort Name' (e.g. Hobbit 2) and click 'Save'. Then, if I later go to the title again, and click 'Refresh' to get updated information/images, it fetches new information into all fields, and clears the 'Sort Name' field. This can be reproduced on all my movie titles.

If it has something to do with my metadata, how would I go about finding out where something is wrong?

Just a note on that specific use, you don't need to do it in most cases.  Put the movies in a collection and it will default to sorting by release date.  You really only need sort titles for films that don't go in collections or, once there, you don't want to sort by release date.  So, for example, I have sort dates for the star wars films so they don't display in the order 4 5 6 1 2 3.  That all said, pretty sure changes to thatbfield should stick if you don't have another metadata tool running.

Ultroman

Just a note on that specific use, you don't need to do it in most cases.  Put the movies in a collection and it will default to sorting by release date.  You really only need sort titles for films that don't go in collections or, once there, you don't want to sort by release date.  So, for example, I have sort dates for the star wars films so they don't display in the order 4 5 6 1 2 3.  That all said, pretty sure changes to thatbfield should stick if you don't have another metadata tool running.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I just installed the Auto Boxset plugin for just that purpose. That is a cool feature. That said, this is the first plugin I've installed. Other than that, my Emby is completely vanilla. I don't have anything else messing with my metadata.

I'll post my detailed steps here. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. The devil is always in the details :P

This is exactly what I do:

0. Go to my Emby server (192.168.1.###:8096/web/index.html)

1. Go to Emby's 'Metadata Manager'.

2. Select a movie.

3. Type in a 'Sort name'

4. Click 'Save'

5. Click 'Refresh' (it should say 'Refresh queued')

6. Go to 'Home'

7. Go back to Emby's 'Metadata Manager'.

8. Select the same movie as before, and check the 'Sort name' field

For me, it is always empty at this point.

Edit:

Simply doing this, I can reproduce it a bit quicker:

0. Go to my Emby server (192.168.1.###:8096/web/index.html)

1. Go to Emby's 'Metadata Manager'.

2. Select a movie.

3. Type in a 'Sort name'

4. Click 'Save'

5. Click 'Refresh' (it should say 'Refresh queued')

6. Keep clicking the movie in the left-hand side, until the refresh has completed.

I can tell when it is done refreshing, because 'Sort name' gets cleared. What the dead squirrel is going on?

My settings:

Looking at my dashboard under 'Library', my 'Images by name path' under 'Media Library' is D:\MediaBrowserData

Looking at my dashboard under 'Metadata' => 'Advanced', my 'Metadata path' is D:\MediaBrowserData\MetaData.

Looking at my dashboard under 'Metadata' => 'Basics', I have turned off 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders'

Edited by Ultroman

Happy2Play

Looking at my dashboard under 'Metadata' => 'Basics', I have turned off 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders'

This is reproducible when metadata is not saved with media but not when metadata is save with media.

Okay, then I guess this is a bug instead of a feature request so I'll move out of here.

• Like 1