Android Client - Release Candidate

CBers

Concept211

Would it be possible to provide an even lower bitrate option for cellular networks? I tried streaming a tv episode today and even though I'm on T-Mobile's "4G" (hspa+), it was still buffering like crazy.  When I stream over broadband on my desktop via a web browser it streams no problem though. 

Anyone else having issues?

elshagon

yeah its weird the new logs weren't there and now they are when I checked again.

only a snippit but here's the error in the log I saw:

Error , Playback Error: Media Error Unknown , 1 , main

[Tue Nov 19 14:27:10 PST 2013] , Error , Playback Error: -1004 , 1 , main
Edited by elshagon

I think the bitrate options should go pretty low just to account for all kinds of network conditions, but if you're on 4g the problem might be something else.

cool. By rooting and installing the play store?

Had a look at rooting it but I was bothered I bricked it...

I ended up using bluestacks then to file manager to google drive to sideload...lol

Very long winded but you app is a must in our house Red as it gives us hours of piece and quiet lol

elshagon

I can't seem to start any videos at all if I'm on my cellular network vs my home network they play fine.  I know I will need to grab some logs for you all, but is there a setup instructions page so I can make sure I set it up to play correctly for when I'm off my home network?  I had the beta installed before and never had a problem on the road except for buffering when I was on a slower 3g speed.  I tested my current speed on my cell network and was getting 2.2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up so should be enough to play.  When pushing play it stays at 0 and then returns a few seconds later to the overview page.

Redshirt

450 kilobits seems pretty low already. Especially if the user is trying to stteam hd content.

Redshirt

Well managed to get the app installed on the nabi :)

cool. By rooting and installing the play store?

Redshirt

I can't seem to start any videos at all if I'm on my cellular network vs my home network they play fine. I know I will need to grab some logs for you all, but is there a setup instructions page so I can make sure I set it up to play correctly for when I'm off my home network? I had the beta installed before and never had a problem on the road except for buffering when I was on a slower 3g speed. I tested my current speed on my cell network and was getting 2.2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up so should be enough to play. When pushing play it stays at 0 and then returns a few seconds later to the overview page.

hmm. If its playback related ill need to see the client log as well as the server and ffmpeg logs. Also are you seeing this on client version 1.0.2? I pushed a build last night to resolve an issue with trailer playback.

elshagon

hmm. If its playback related ill need to see the client log as well as the server and ffmpeg logs. Also are you seeing this on client version 1.0.2? I pushed a build last night to resolve an issue with trailer playback.

Yes, its on version 1.0.2  I will have to wait on the logs until I'm home, there's no logs on the phone's end correct?

Concept211

@@Concept211

Can you please get some clean logs for me to work with

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1209-getting-useful-logs-media-info/

TIA

I followed the instructions for the clean logs exactly.  Here's the link to access the full server log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33858477/MB3/server-63520416000.log

Unfortunately, again, no ffmpeg log was generated when streaming via Android  :unsure:

how about your cpu? the desktop test is not exactly apples to apples because it's a matter of webm vs h264, two different output formats. roku or the ios app would be a more comparable comparison. 

seanbuff

Hi Red, I'm finding that when sorting my 'Movies' by 'Date Added' and then toggling between Ascending and Descending - - the order randomly changes.

This doesn't seem right. Are you able to confirm?

I just tried, I'm not able to confirm that. Are you seeing it on other clients?

Hmmmm...both Web Client and MBT behave correctly when performing the same function. However both my Android devices (Nexus 10 and Xperia Z) return random orders when doing this multiple times.

Here is the log anyway: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12267194/client-ed16f961-b56c-4ed6-818b-2c7a8759b3b1.zip

Is anyone else able to try this? TIA.

Concept211

I'm running version 1.02 (191113) as well.  And I have the "Cellular Playback Bitrate" set to 250 kb/s.

Edited by Concept211

I figured it was low too.  My cellular network speeds seem to be pretty decent: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/653101872  -- not sure what the problem could be  :unsure:

It might be that your server doesn't have enough grunt to re-encode the bit-rate on the fly. That's my problem, it's fine over wi-fi but rubbish over 3g even at the lowest setting...

Concept211

how about your cpu? the desktop test is not exactly apples to apples because it's a matter of webm vs h264, two different output formats. roku or the ios app would be a more comparable comparison. 

strange...i see a much bigger hit on the CPU when streaming via the browser but it starts very quickly with no buffer.  but the android app has nearly no impact on the CPU but it takes a really long time to start and the buffer is very, very slow to load.  are there any server logs that would indicate any type of performance issue?  anything that i can tweak on the server side to improve it?  thank you very much for your help and hard work!

CBers

Yes, its on version 1.0.2 I will have to wait on the logs until I'm home, there's no logs on the phone's end correct?

Logs on the phone are in: /sdcard/Mb3AndroidData/Logs

Redshirt

I've just been reading all the reviews on the google play store. I just wanna say... You guys are awesome! That kind of feedback makes all this work feel worthwhile.

• Like 1