Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403 - Streaming not working

jonalderman

jonalderman

Hi,

I am not a developer and not a real up to date techy. My interest is to standardise on MediaBrowser throughout my home as the home entertainment hub. 

However, I cannot find a solution to the current problem of being unable to play through MediaBrowser to my Sony KDL-40EX403, so I have spent a few hours trying to understand what is happening and have provided some info, which I hope will enable you to find out why it is not working.

I have also provided some info from Serviio, which is my current method of playing to the Sony.

So first of all I tried to understand with Device Spy what protocols are supported by MediaBrowser and my Sony.

Device Spy MediaBrowser.pdf

Device Spy Bravia KDL40EX403.pdf

Then I ran Wireshark and extracted what looks like the relevant packets, packet 205 flags the 500 error from the Sony as a result of a UPnP action to GetVolume failing.

Then at packet 318 MediaBrowser attempts a POST to the Sony AVControl with a GetPosition, see attached. (Won't allow me to upload)

So I used Device Spy again and extracted the following from my Sony.

Device Spy Invoke AVTransport GetPosition.pdf

My question is this, where does the following come from?

protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mp2t:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_NTSC;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000">

This protocol/mime type of "video/mp2t" appears nowhere in the list of protocols extracted from either my Sony or MediaBrowser, so I should assume it is unsupported and therefore explains why MediaBrowser console thinks it is streaming yet the Sony although appearing to start then goes to a black screen. It is also not part of the Sony 2010 profile and I even changed the profile to reflect the matches I found in the initial 2 documents. So no matter what I do I always come back to this strange mime type of "video/mp2t".

By comparison after watching, successfully another film through Serviio, I repeated the Device Spy Invoke and attach the following if it is of interest. 

Device Spy Invoke Serviio Bravia.pdf

If you need any further info then please let me know as I can repeat and get further info if you point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Sorry forgot to mention the two files being played, "10 Rillington Place" is in ts format, MPEG2Video and MP3 & MP2 audio codec and the Serviio file was "The Debt", again in ts format, MPEG2Video and MP2 audio codec.

Edited by jonalderman
  • Like 1

ah interesting - try adding a response profile for container ts to use the video/mpeg mime type. see if that resolves it.

jonalderman

Thanks for prompt reply and have amended the Sony 2010 profile with the following on the last Response Profile statement

<ResponseProfile container="ts" videoCodec="mpeg1video,mpeg2video" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_PS_NTSC,MPEG_PS_PAL" mimeType="video/mp2t">

and then copied across to the dlna/user folder and renamed. Is that what you meant?

Same result I'm afraid.

As the mime type is not supported in the list of http get protocol info in the Device Spy output from the Sony , why putting in the amendment you suggested would work.

I also still don't understand why this mime type is being selected.

no, change the mimeType to video/mpeg

it is selected because video/mp2t is generally used for ts so it needs to be overridden

jonalderman

Thanks for the reply and have amended the profile as per attached.

Sony Bravia (2010) v5.xml

The line amended is as follows now:

<ResponseProfile container="ts" videoCodec="mpeg1video,mpeg2video" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_PS_PAL" mimeType="video/mpeg">

Still no joy and have even tried disabling the audio receiver as when file attempts to stream it seems to want to output the sound on "Audio 1" but just black screen and no sound. However, have noticed audio receiver seems to be accepting commands although not selected as an output from Sony but obviously still attached via optical cable.

Lastly, even with amendment to profile xml as above, following failure to stream I ran Device Spy with an Invoke on GetPosition and extracted the following:

Device Spy Invoke GetPosition with Sony Bravia V5 XML..pdf

The same as before, but is that what you would expect?

protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mp2t:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_NTSC;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000">

How do I confirm that the Responseprofile is amending the mime type and profile for the Sony, as it is not a North American standard but European standard PAL one?

Sorry to be such a numpty on this but I am on a mission to get this working and hopefully you can lend me some of your time and expertise.

Thanks in advance.

no problem, thanks for investigating.

the response profile is not getting applied so we need to find out why.

The TranscodingProfile in that xml says container=ts, video=h264, audio=ac3 or aac

so if that is the output, then you need to have a ResponseProfile that matches that output. It looks like there already is one but it requires a couple extra conditions:

So perhaps under that, you could try

And also adjust the orgPn as needed

jonalderman

Thanks again, amended the profile as you suggested but same result unless I have edited the xml incorrectly, see attached:

Sony Bravia (2010) v6.xml

<ResponseProfile container="ts" audioCodec="ac3,aac,mp3" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" orgPn="AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_EU_T" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">
      <Conditions>
        <ProfileCondition condition="Equals" property="PacketLength" value="192" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="Equals" property="VideoTimestamp" value="Valid" isRequired="true" />
      </Conditions>
    </ResponseProfile>
 <ResponseProfile container="ts" audioCodec="ac3,aac,mp3" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" orgPn="AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_EU_T" mimeType="video/mpeg">
      <Conditions></Conditions>
    </ResponseProfile>

Apologies if I've edited badly or misunderstood.

assuming the output video matches those criteria - ts, ac3/aac/mp3, h264, then it should fall into one of those two response profiles depending on whether those two inner conditions match. so i would check to make sure that it's actually transcoding or not.

apart from that, unfortunately the bravia's are among the most difficult devices to get working with dlna and without having one on hand I am not able test and give a definitive answer. what i can say is that other devices are taking advantage of response profiles without any problems.

jonalderman

OK, did mention at the start of the thread that the file I'm attempting to play is

"Sorry forgot to mention the two files being played, "10 Rillington Place" is in ts format, MPEG2Video and MP3 & MP2 audio codec". This is according to MB metadata. My understanding is this meets the KDL-40EX403 direct play criteria?

Can also confirm that MB console confirms that it is playing this file as a direct stream and not transcoding.

Should I take out all the DirectPlay statements to force it to transcode or have I got an error in the Direct play statements:

<DirectPlayProfiles>
    <DirectPlayProfile container="ts" audioCodec="ac3,aac,mp3" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="ts" audioCodec="mp3,mp2" videoCodec="mpeg1video,mpeg2video" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mpeg" audioCodec="mp3,mp2" videoCodec="mpeg2video,mpeg1video" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mp3" audioCodec="mp3" type="Audio" />
  </DirectPlayProfiles>

Sorry to be a pain but feel we are so close.

I'm not an expert on the format requirements of the Sony TV. Thats where we need community help. What I can do is help advise on profile building.

So if those are the right formats, then sure it looks good.

The ResponseProfiles target the output, not the input. very important to keep that in mind. So whatever the ouptut is, you need to have a response profile that matches it in order for it to get applied.

• 2 months later...
thepixel

Hey, Just wondering if you managed to get this resolved. As I'm having the same issue with the Sony 2010 TV's

I know the TV plays the content and that DLNA works because Plex works for it. But I love Emby!

I have gone as far as ripping out the profiles for the 2013 and applying it to a new profile that would target only that specific TV. I know it is picking it up as its showing in the logs.

• 3 weeks later...

Please try again on the latest beta. There's a number of fixes for Sony Bravia's. Thanks.

jonalderman

Hi

Thanks for your reply and have downloaded Emby beta 3.0.5607.0 and given it another try without any changes to Sony 2010 profile XML.

The output from Device Spy AVTransport, Invoke Get Position is the same as last time, see attached with the same results on the tv screen, i.e. looks like it will start to stream but screen goes black and audio is crackly. There is no file in the transcoding or streaming folder but Emby thinks it is streaming and displays film image in dashboard saying it is direct streaming. File is container ts, video codec mpeg2video, audio MP2 2 channel.

Device Spy Invoke GetPosition with Sony Bravia 2010 out of the box Emby 3.0.5607 XML.pdf

My limited understanding of these technical issues makes me think that the mime type of video/mp2t and MPEG_PS-NTSC surely refers to the North American standard, which is inappropriate for my tv, being a PAL standard.

Last time we investigated, no matter what I changed we couldn't alter or replace this mime type, which made me think that maybe it was a hard wired parameter and I am also suspicious of the word test, embedded in the parameters in the next line below, when trying to do the http command to stream. 

Apologies if I am not understanding the output correctly but just thought I should draw your attention to these things.

Hope that helps and please let me know if you want to try anything else.

Thanks for your support

The response profiles indicate multiple regions

AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3_T,AVC_TS_HD_EU_T

Note EU is last (comma separated). I think in your case you need to adjust the profile to put EU first and then it might work.

jonalderman

IP Endpoint trace and DLNA Debug trace with Sony Bravia 2010 xml amended with EU Orgpn Emby 3.0.5607.pdf

Hi Luke

Thanks for your reply, which I have tried by amending the Sony 2010 XML as you suggested. Sony Bravia (2010).xml

Sadly, no different and so attach the traces (IP Endpoint and DLNA Debug), which I hope will help you get closer to a resolution. 

Let me know if you have any questions or queries.

Thanks

Jon

jonalderman

Not sure what you are asking but Serviio works and streams using,

protocolInfo="

http-get:*:video/mpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_SD_EU_ISO;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01500000000000000000000000000000" resolution="720x576" size="2583273032">

and EMBY leaves a black screen and crackly audio and thinks it is streaming but isn't using:

protocolInfo="

http-get:*:video/mp2t:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_NTSC;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000">

So differences, Serviio looks to me like it's passing information on screen size and something else using the correct video/mpeg mime type and EMBY has no screen size info and whatever I try always uses the wrong video/mp2t mime type.

How is the protocol Info request constructed? 

BrettB

Following the topic as have the same issue, but with the 2011 profile. TV is KDL-55HX820.

Direct streams work fine, however transcoding ends up with a blank screen. Emby shows that is is playing though.

Managed to make a movie play direct by removing the condition of audio channels <=2 (made it 6), and it plays direct fine.

Means I at least have one video that can force to go transcode, or direct.

Following the topic as have the same issue, but with the 2011 profile. TV is KDL-55HX820.

Direct streams work fine, however transcoding ends up with a blank screen. Emby shows that is is playing though.

Managed to make a movie play direct by removing the condition of audio channels

Means I at least have one video that can force to go transcode, or direct.

what is the audio format? is the tv decoding or passing through to a receiver?

BrettB

what is the audio format? is the tv decoding or passing through to a receiver?

Hi Luke,

Video Audio format is AAC, but 6 channel.

If I change the ini file to max channels 6, then it does not transcode and the TV seems to handle fine.

If the ini has max channels of 2, then it tries to transcode.

I can see it transcoding in the temp folder on the server, but it never gets sent to the tv.

Would it help if I attached the server and the transcode log files (deleting them first so they small and only contain one example)?

it probably does get sent to the tv but the tv doesn't like it for whatever reason. so that's what will need to be figured out.

BrettB

it probably does get sent to the tv but the tv doesn't like it for whatever reason. so that's what will need to be figured out.

Hi Luke, managed to grab a piece of the log file as well as the transcode file. Would it be possible for you to help point me in the right direction. This is one movie that is MKV and always transcodes, but the same messages in the log file seem to appear no matter what goes through transcoding. Those files that can play direct are ok.

EmbyServerLog.txt

transcode-3f5e6080-d430-413c-a4c1-e5eb64a767e5.txt

Well you could compare the format being transcoded to with the formats the device supports. One thing I notice is the transcoding profile converts audio to ac3,aac. try changing that to just aac. that is just a guess. anything beyond that and i need a bravia to test with. that is unfortunately the nature of dlna, trial and error until it works

Happy2Play

DLNA-Profile-select profile-Transcode  and modify audio to one specific codec.