jnr@mb

View Libraries as they are stored: by Folders

panta

My solution was to quickly put together this: https://github.com/panta82/emby-fixer

This is a difficult problem to tackle due to the way emby is treating folders vs albums. Folders have generic sub-items you can navigate to, but music functionality is disabled (play all, shuffle all, etc.). Albums have a list of songs from all the subfolders, aggregated into one list, but no "sub-items" you can navigate to. Any one directory can either be treated as a "folder" or "album". Not both.

This is fine if you have a well organized and tagged collection of albums. But if you have just random directories where you put random songs and create random subdirectories, emby's system really isn't well suited for this.

Emby can probably become better at deciding what should be "folder" and what "album", but its fundamental design will always make it a bit janky to use with file-based music collections.

RosscoBliss

I Totally Love Emby from every other point of view over plex apart from this folder issue which has been going on since 2018.

Dont get why your folders name just doesnt come up as your folders name.

And when you initially do a file scan it adds them as you have pit them then later it change3s all of them.

I have over 10,000 songs from my Djing days all in different catagories and folders so Deep House, Trance etc bbut the odd thing is some folders are right.

For instance Drum & Bass folder says Drum and Bass But Trance folder says some random song name its crazy.

Why is it so hard to fix?

Luke

Hi, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

lunadmin

I Totally Love Emby from every other point of view over plex apart from this folder issue which has been going on since 2018.

Dont get why your folders name just doesnt come up as your folders name.

And when you initially do a file scan it adds them as you have pit them then later it change3s all of them.

I have over 10,000 songs from my Djing days all in different catagories and folders so Deep House, Trance etc bbut the odd thing is some folders are right.

For instance Drum & Bass folder says Drum and Bass But Trance folder says some random song name its crazy.

Why is it so hard to fix?

I have this "issue" too with the latest version but i solve it manually. I edited every folder with the wrong name and corrected that names.

So this happens while every folder will recognized as an album, when there is one or more songs inside and then the folder will be named as the album in emby.

But anyway its not an issue, its the current folder design for music in emby. 

RosscoBliss

Ok so first pic shows my folders on synolgy drive.

Second pic shows music folder during a scan file at 90% and you can see most are right.

Hardstyle it doesnt reconiose as it makes it an album that in the folder called climax

The 3rd pic shows once 100% complete and as you can see its changed most folders.

very odd.

sorry read the pics from what i say from bottom to top sorry i uploaded in wrong order5e2703dca9058_Screenshot20200121at135930

5e26f166c7b52_Screenshot20200121at1229045e26f19702c5d_Screenshot20200121at123711

Edited by RosscoBliss

RosscoBliss

sorry read the pics from whatb i say from bottom to top sorry i uploaded in wrong order

Luke

Right our folder view is not a true folder view at this time. It will be affected by music metadata. But it's something that can be improved in future updates. Thanks.

RosscoBliss

You have said that since 2018 ;-)

I do love Emby over plex though 

just wondring when this will be sorted.

And songs in list coming up on fire sticks ;-)

masepg

I just wanted to reply to this topic to say thank you to the devs, not sure what changed but I tried adding my music collection as Mixed Content again today and it actually shows the folder view exactly as it should. I've been waiting on this for a long time. THANK YOU!

Luke
20 minutes ago, masepg said:

I just wanted to reply to this topic to say thank you to the devs, not sure what changed but I tried adding my music collection as Mixed Content again today and it actually shows the folder view exactly as it should. I've been waiting on this for a long time. THANK YOU!

Thanks for the feedback !