a mess!!

djlf

Right noticed there it's a new beta up. So before I install what's the state of affairs with content type. What exactly do I need to do?

oldschool

I'm still a little bewildered about the setting of the Content Type. My first inclination is to set the Content Type of this folder is different than what I think is being asked for. The way I understand it, you guys want us to set the Content Type to what the FOLDERS inside this parent folder contain, but this causes a problem. To illustrate, you're asking us to do:

- <Parent (Inherit)>
 - <Movies (Movies)>
  - <<Movie 1 (Inherit)>>
  - <<Movie 2 (Inherit)>>
 - <TV Shows (TV)>
  - <<TV Show 1 (Inherit)>>
   - <<<Season 1 (Inherit)>>>
   - <<<Season 2 (Inherit)>>>
  - <<TV Show 2 (Inherit)>>

This necessitates a middle layer to what I would have traditionally considered a "mixed content" folder. An example of what I had done in the past was to have a Kids TV show with all of the compilation DVDs that are the same video (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has the TV shows and then they have "movies" they put out with a couple of expisodes on the DVD, so I put them all in a parent folder "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse"). I think the way it is setup now is a little confusing because the mixed content I would expect, and what I've successfully had MB3 detect is:

- <Parent (Inherit)>
 - <<Movie 1 (Movie)>>
 - <<Movie 2 (Movie)>>
 - <<TV Show 1 (TV)>>
 - <<TV Show 2 (TV)>>

With this type of layout, it would be easier to understand and it's more logical to me to apply the content type of "Movie" to the folder with the movie in it, rather than applying the content type "Movies" to the parent folder. The way it's laid out seems to force you to create a second layer for EVERY TV series under the top level folder:

- <TV Series 1 (TV)>
 - <TV Show (Inherit)>
  - <<TV Show (Inherit)>>

I'm still trying to figure out how to undo what MB3 has done to my TV Shows folder. I've tried deleting the series.xml files that were created in every one of my seasons in order to reverse the damage done, but now after a media scan (and I forgot to reset the folder type), I have to go back in and re-delete the files again. I'm hoping you guys will reconsider your approach.

Edited by oldschool

in most cases you don't have to set the content type. we listened to your feedback and went back to the auto-detection.

the purpose of overriding content type now is to resolve conflicts. a conflict is a situation where it's ambiguous between two different types and there's no way for MBS to know the difference. For example, movies and tv series whose names are numeric. This release resolves some issues reported by others when parsing episode numbers from file names. Well now that fix creates an issue for movies with numeric names, which is what we call a false positive. There is no way for MBS to know the difference. So that's why you would override content type.

another reason to override content type would be for the star trek example listed here under complex structures:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Naturally we'll discover other reasons, but hopefully in most cases it won't be necessary.

oldschool

Luke - MB3 added a lot of .xml files to my folders. I take it I need to remove those xml files in order for it to scan properly? Right now I'm removing the <ContentType> values in my system.xml. I already updated to the latest beta, but I need to do a rescan of my folders so they detect properly.

Right now, those TV folders were improperly detected, so MB3 added a series.xml file to them. I need to go and remove those before I do my scan, correct?

oldschool

An example of a file that was generated, or an example of the folders/files structure that I had after the generation of all the files?

Edited by oldschool

For example, movies and tv series whose names are numeric. This release resolves some issues reported by others when parsing episode numbers from file names. Well now that fix creates an issue for movies with numeric names, which is what we call a false positive. There is no way for MBS to know the difference.

What do you mean there is no way to tell the difference? MBS used to be able to tell the difference. I know this for a fact because MBS did tell the difference, and I had the movie.xml files in the directories to prove it. Moreover, it is not like it was difficult to tell in my case -- most of them had [tmdbid=xxxx] in the name of the folder, and did not have any subdirectories.

Wasn't the old logic just to look to see if there were any subdirectories of the name "Season x" in the directory, and if so, it is TV, and if not, it is a movie? Whatever the old logic was, it worked for me. If only the latest version could use the old logic for the Mixed library. Keep it simple.

Edited by jwill

techywarrior

It worked for you but not everyone. You weren't even using the logic since you were specifying tmdb id.

Anyway, mixed content is basically being reverted to how it was before due to the feedback from beta testers.

Part of the reason for the change was to allow much wider variety in title matching. There were major issues matching daily TV shows and I think they wanted to also be able to support more naming conventions like Kodi/Plex does.

It worked for you but not everyone. You weren't even using the logic since you were specifying tmdb id.

Anyway, mixed content is basically being reverted to how it was before due to the feedback from beta testers.

Part of the reason for the change was to allow much wider variety in title matching. There were major issues matching daily TV shows and I think they wanted to also be able to support more naming conventions like Kodi/Plex does.

the part about tmdb isn't true, but other than that you're right. of course we are trying to expand the universe. it's the black box features like this that are always at risk when that happens. but we're doing the best we can to restore it to what it was.

techywarrior

It still uses the matching logic even with a tmdb id? Or it reads the tmdb id for the actual match but still needs to know it's a movie folder to work with the rest of MB3? I guess it doesn't matter really, just for personal info in case of a similar question.

Content type is detection is based purely on folder structure and the manual overrides. the only thing the tmdbid=xxx does is pre-populate a tmdb id later on.

oldschool

I have a folder that is labeled "Youtube Videos", and it contains three subfolders. Each subfolder has a bunch of .mp4 videos in it. There's probably around 30 of them - they're music videos. So, for some reason, when MB3 now scans that folder, it detects 2/3 correctly, but one of the three it detects as a TV series, adds a series.xml file, and creates thumbnails for every file in the folder. I guess I wouldn't mind if it detected it as a TV series and allowed me to actually play the videos, but when I try to open the TV series folder, it doesn't show any videos at all, even though it took the time to create the thumbnails.

I can't get it to NOT detect the files as something just to list out the videos in it, but the other two for some reason it detects as "Other Items" and lists them without a problem. I've tried adding a folder.xml to the folder (even though the other two that are detected correctly do not have or need any xml files), yet I can't get it to detect that folder correctly.

oldschool

OK, that worked. What's weird is that I have another folder that has nothing but movie folders inside of it. When I set the parent folder to Movies, I would expect to see all the movie boxes/posters to be shown for all the movie folders, but this one is showing the backdrops of all the movies. The correct functionality is happening on some of the same type of movie folders, but not this one. It's not working either on Inherit or Movie.

oldschool

Hmmm, it looks like after numerous scans, my covers (Primary images) were overwritten. OK, I'll have to fix that, but I think I've got everything recovered now.

It seems you are not following what I am saying. IT USED TO WORK FOR ME ON THE VERY SAME FOLDERS THAT IT NOW DOES NOT WORK ON -- therefore, it has NOT entirely been "reverted to how it was before".

Also, your explanation makes no sense. It is not difficult to figure out if it is a movie or a TV series if you simply keep the rules that TV series directories have one or more subdirectories named "Season x", and movie directories have no subdirectories named "Season x".

I suspect all the troubles started when that rule was superseded. I can see how the ID logic could become difficult if you stray from that rule. But for the Unset (mixed content) libraries, it should be a strict rule, then it is easy to distinguish TV and movies.

I think the logic for Unset (mixed content) should be quite simple with that rule:

1) If there is a [tmdbid=xxx] / [tvdbid=xxx] in the directory name then assume it is movies / TV

2) If there is already an NFO or XML file in the directory, then that defines movie or TV

3) Otherwise use the rule that TV series must have "Season x" subdirectories, else it is a movie

Edited by jwill

techywarrior

I believe that Season X is no longer required for series. My guess is that it is to better handle daily shows. (and possibly auto organization of said shows).

I just went from last stable to the current stable and my mixed folders had no change in them.

I suspect since you were caught up in the beta builds and changes were made it messed up your nfo/xml. If you install the latest stable release (if you haven't already) and delete the nfo/xml files in your mixed folder and run a library scan it will be how it was before. I think that's what Luke suggested to you before too.

I said "basically reverted to how it was before". From the sound of it there are still some slight changes that were made but I don't know what they are. And since my mixed folder is completely intact after upgrading from last stable to this stable I would hazard a guess that not much changed.

I believe that Season X is no longer required for series. My guess is that it is to better handle daily shows. (and possibly auto organization of said shows).

I just went from last stable to the current stable and my mixed folders had no change in them.

I suspect since you were caught up in the beta builds and changes were made it messed up your nfo/xml. If you install the latest stable release (if you haven't already) and delete the nfo/xml files in your mixed folder and run a library scan it will be how it was before. I think that's what Luke suggested to you before too.

I said "basically reverted to how it was before". From the sound of it there are still some slight changes that were made but I don't know what they are. And since my mixed folder is completely intact after upgrading from last stable to this stable I would hazard a guess that not much changed.

The point is that FOR UNSET MIXED CONTENT libraries, the Season X rule should be enforced.

And again, you are not following what I wrote. Of course I tried that. It did not work for movies with digits in their titles. It worked okay for the rest of my movies.

It should be easy enough for you to reproduce. Use an Unset (mixed content) library. Create a new directory with a title such as "2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) [tmdbid=62]" and stick any media file in there. Then do a scan and see what MBS identifies. On my system, it apparently thinks it is a TV show since it creates a tvshow.nfo file.

Beardyname

then what if you manually switch the content type of "2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) [tmdbid=62]" to movies and then do a re-scan?

*edit*

I did just as you specified, and now i have a bunch of metadata which matches 2001 a space odyssey perfectly, without even switching the content type :)

I named the file 2001.a.space.odyssey.avi

tree looks like this

test

\2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) [tmdbid=62]

\2001.a.space.odyssey.avi

where test is set to mixed and added to my library.

Edited by Beardyname

Just FYI Season folders have not been required in TV for a very long time.  Many people just have all the episodes inside the Series folder.