a mess!!

djlf

Had just reorganized my media after this mixed folder debacle when I chanced latest beta update. Now all season folders in metadata editor are displaying

inherit again even though the top folder is assigned TV from my reorganisation efforts. Plex is looking more tempting by the minute. Really fed up with this!!

r4m3u5

I ran into the same situation with 5482.3 ... kind of.

Only some folders i had set to a certain type of media before are back to 'inherit'. Quickly fixed.

The more serious problem is that a lot of media is suddenly marked 'unwatched' and instead of e.g. episodes that are actually 'unwatched' i'm getting Season folders in the 'Latest Media' view now. Some have fan art showing up some don't (the stuff was working fine with 5282.1)... looks completely whack now!!

54b0365d73219_Whack.jpg

Edited by r4m3u5
  • Like 1

Can someone explain the structure for mixed folders now. updated to latest beta and it seems that every folder requires a content type label now. Since the update all my season folders have switched

to content type inherit while the top folder remains TV.   For example ... yesterday had Homeland/Season 1 with homeland set to TV and everything was fine. Now have Homeland content type TV

and Season 1 has been reset to inherit??  Losing patience bigtime. Have used mediaportal and plex and never experienced this type of upheaval after an update. Am I doing something wrong??

techywarrior

The mixed content thing is being partly re-evaluated based on beta feedback. I think that the latest Dev builds have some fixes in place for people who had their libraries messed up but you'd have to check with someone who is running that version as I don't know all the details.

I'd recommend that once you get your library sorted out though that you stay on the release branch. The Dev branch is going to have the most volatility but Beta is still a beta and things aren't guaranteed to be stable. Mixed content was changed to allow better matching and some other features that had been problematic with the automagic detection in mixed folders. Due to feedback in beta though it sounds like the method in which this change is going to take place has been adjusted.

I'm sorry that you are having trouble and that your library is a little messed up right now but that's also sort of what being on the Beta branch is for.

Your watched statuses are due to the content not being correctly identified. Once the files movies/series are correctly identified again your watched status will fix itself (it's stored in the DB based on the identification of the item. So if it's not identified it can't find it in the DB to know if you watched it or not)

• Like 2

I ran into the same situation with 5482.3 ... kind of.

Only some folders i had set to a certain type of media before are back to 'inherit'. Quickly fixed.

The more serious problem is that a lot of media is suddenly marked 'unwatched' and instead of e.g. episodes that are actually 'unwatched' i'm getting Season folders in the 'Latest Media' view now. Some have fan art showing up some don't (the stuff was working fine with 5282.1)... looks completely whack now!!

54b0365d73219_Whack.jpg

Also getting this and xml files being generated in wrong folders . Its seems broken now , where last week , no problems whatsoever. Changing the mixed folder thing has created a mess.

Can someone outline exactly what is goin on??

Serios

Can someone explain the structure for mixed folders now. updated to latest beta and it seems that every folder requires a content type label now. Since the update all my season folders have switched

to content type inherit while the top folder remains TV.   For example ... yesterday had Homeland/Season 1 with homeland set to TV and everything was fine. Now have Homeland content type TV

and Season 1 has been reset to inherit??  Losing patience bigtime. Have used mediaportal and plex and never experienced this type of upheaval after an update. Am I doing something wrong??

Nope, I have the same problem like you apparently the latest changes are driving people mad. There are couple of threads about this behavior and the lack of response or some clear guidance about how people should organize their medias not helping at all. You can check my thread http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/16956-problem-with-handling-of-unset-mixed-content/ and this one http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/16825-why-remove-the-old-mixed-setting-keep-it-and-add-the-unset-option/

Can someone outline exactly what is goin on??

The post just above yours explains the situation pretty well.  Based on feedback from the beta we have been hard at work adjusting the logic to try and handle as many of the previous situations as possible.

One thing to be sure of - whether it happened automatically or manually - only folders that directly contain series folders should be marked as TV.  That means a TV Series folder should not be manually marked as TV because that will make it think the seasons are series.  So, if you are still having an issue with the beta that went out today, please ensure this is the case.

• Like 1

The mixed content thing is being partly re-evaluated based on beta feedback. I think that the latest Dev builds have some fixes in place for people who had their libraries messed up but you'd have to check with someone who is running that version as I don't know all the details.

I'd recommend that once you get your library sorted out though that you stay on the release branch. The Dev branch is going to have the most volatility but Beta is still a beta and things aren't guaranteed to be stable. Mixed content was changed to allow better matching and some other features that had been problematic with the automagic detection in mixed folders. Due to feedback in beta though it sounds like the method in which this change is going to take place has been adjusted.

I'm sorry that you are having trouble and that your library is a little messed up right now but that's also sort of what being on the Beta branch is for.

Your watched statuses are due to the content not being correctly identified. Once the files movies/series are correctly identified again your watched status will fix itself (it's stored in the DB based on the identification of the item. So if it's not identified it can't find it in the DB to know if you watched it or not)

But I had my library sorted as suggested in other posts. why would the next update reverse all the work that we were told to do, exactly what was recommened. No point on staying on release branch when the mixed folder thing would bite you in the ass at some stage anyway. What exactly am I supposed to put in content type? Subfolders are going back to inherit? Why?

r4m3u5

But I had my library sorted as suggested in other posts. why would the next update reverse all the work that we were told to do, exactly what was recommened. No point on staying on release branch when the mixed folder thing would bite you in the ass at some stage anyway. What exactly am I supposed to put in content type? Subfolders are going back to inherit? Why?

Can second that! I had it all set up as described in Luke's release notes for Beta 5482.1

Apparently something has changed in 5482.3 that broke it again  :wacko:

The post just above yours explains the situation pretty well.  Based on feedback from the beta we have been hard at work adjusting the logic to try and handle as many of the previous situations as possible.

One thing to be sure of - whether it happened automatically or manually - only folders that directly contain series folders should be marked as TV.  That means a TV Series folder should not be manually marked as TV because that will make it think the seasons are series.  So, if you are still having an issue with the beta that went out today, please ensure this is the case.

So your saying for example Homeland/Season 1   :   leave homeland as inherit and set season 1 to TV.  Is that correct?

Because other posts suggested setting homeland to TV will make season 1 automatically TV. I did what the other posts suggested, now have xmls being generated again.

Serios

So your saying for example Homeland/Season 1   :   leave homeland as inherit and set season 1 to TV.  Is that correct?

Because other posts suggested setting homeland to TV will make season 1 automatically TV. I did what the other posts suggested, now have xmls being generated again.

That doesn't work, already tried it

Edit: Actually it works, just need to rescan library.

But I don't get it, it's logical Homeland to be set as tv and Season 1 as inherit!

Edited by Serios

techywarrior

No point on staying on release branch when the mixed folder thing would bite you in the ass at some stage anyway.

Not true. Based on feedback from Beta it's going to change. I haven't seen the latest but it's supposed to handle the old setup better. The point is if you stay on release then by the time you get major changes like this the instructions will be established and breaking changes will be at a minimum since people in beta would have tested and given feedback.

If you are just on the beta release to get new functionality before other people then that's not a good reason. Dev/Beta is for people who want to test and give feedback and understand that their library could get messed up.

Sorry guys I hear your frustrations. Your feedback was loud and clear that you liked the automatic detection of mixed content so we are working to restore it.

We will never have this kind of change again I can promise but we had to improve our ability to parse data out of filenames for movies and tv. That is where all of this started was to improve our ability to handle non clean naming and more episode naming conventions. The improvement comes with the side effect of false positives in mixed content. That's why we originally took it away and forced you to manually designate similar to kodi.

Now based on feedback we are working to restore it and instead we will just not make the new features available to mixed folders.

The reason why it shows inherit is because you need the ability to override tv even inside a tv structure.

Example

Tv lib

/series 1

/series 2

/star trek

/star trek next generation

The star trek folder is a grouping of star trek series. In order to support this you need to be able to assign that folder as a container of tv series. It actually works automatically in mixed folders, but with less features. But in a designated tv library there is risk of false positives from better matching so it needs to be manually assigned.

Not true. Based on feedback from Beta it's going to change. I haven't seen the latest but it's supposed to handle the old setup better. The point is if you stay on release then by the time you get major changes like this the instructions will be established and breaking changes will be at a minimum since people in beta would have tested and given feedback.

If you are just on the beta release to get new functionality before other people then that's not a good reason. Dev/Beta is for people who want to test and give feedback and understand that their library could get messed up.

yes we are all aware of this, but here is messed up and there is MESSED UP!!!!

r4m3u5

To make it a bit more clear:

Before Beta 5482.1:

Worked without manual changes to subfolder types - mixed folder contents was recognized automatically.

With Beta 5482.1

Subfolders with mixed content had to be set to the media type manually.

Mixed folder example:

Documentary (type 'unset')

------ folder_containing_just_one_video_file ('Inherit' -> manually changed to type 'Movies')

------ folder_containing_a_series ('Inherit' -> manually changed to type 'TV')

------ Season 1

------ Season 2

TV folder example:

Series (type 'TV')

------ folder_containing_a_series

------ Season 1

------ Season 2

With Beta 5482.3

None of the above works! Conclusion: something is definitely broken in this version!

Techy is right. To the stable group it will be like nothing ever happened except for the tv example above. So everybody's feedback here is appreciated because it is helping to shape the final release.

You guys are all encouraged to particapte in dev testing (with test setups). The more feedback we get there the more this gets handled before it reaches beta. When feedback is low in the alpha area then we end up having to rely on the beta group a lot more than we'd like to.

• Like 1

Serios

I see logic in @@Luke's post but his example is minor case most users have structure like @@r4m3u5 posted above. I think Beta 5482.1 worked just fine

Edited by Serios
  • Like 1

Techy is right. To the stable group it will be like nothing ever happened except for the tv example above. So everybody's feedback here is appreciated because it is helping to shape the final release.

You guys are all encouraged to particapte in dev testing (with test setups). The more feedback we get there the more this gets handled before it reaches beta. When feedback is low in the alpha area then we end up having to rely on the beta group a lot more than we'd like to.

So what should we do? wait till everything is sorted? If I rechange all the content types again am I gonna have to do it again on next update? Is it inherit for all top folders and TV or Movie for subfolder os season folder now? Why am I getting season folder and series xml files all over the place? Spent two days at this already. If mixed folders aren't getting new features why bother in the first place. Customisation is key. Being able to set it up as you require is key. It worked perfect last week

Edited by djlf

techywarrior

yes we are all aware of this, but here is messed up and there is MESSED UP!!!!

I think you are making an artificial distinction. But we are really getting off topic now.

Beta did it's job. It highlighted that a lot more people are using mixed content for a variety of things and reasons and the initial idea to force everything to be set to a specific type wasn't going to work.

Luke explained briefly the reasoning why this change is being done and also I think shows how feedback by the beta group has shaped the direction that this change is being implemented.

I remember in the early days when sometimes you had to delete the library.db file just to get MBS working again after some change.

As for what you should do. I would probably suggest that you delete all the XML files in your library. Uninstall MBS beta and install MBS Stable release. It should redetect everything based on the old method and then once this changed is pushed to stable you won't have a problem (because the method and change is different)

I would start by removing the overridden content types, rescan, then only override the types where needed to solve a problem.

If you run into a situation you can't solve then give an example of file names and we will make sure there is a solution.

Serios

I think reverting changes back as it was in Beta 5482.1 is a win / win situation, kinda liked to mark main folders under top unset folder as movie or series it comes somehow very logical. So can this be done and will it help with the reason behind disabling automagic for unset folders?

You can still manually tag and doing so will give access to more features. Just be aware the tv type expects series underneath. We can add another type to denote a single series folder if we need to.

I think reverting changes back as it was in Beta 5482.1 is a win / win situation, kinda liked to mark main folders under top unset folder as movie or series it comes somehow very logical. So can this be done and will it help with the reason behind disabling automagic for unset folders?

If we had started at the beginning of mb3 requiring all content to be identified manually similar to kodi I think it would have been fine and people wouldnt have a problem with it. But now that we've set the expectation of auto detection we should not have attempted to remove it. So we are rectifying that.

I would start by removing the overridden content types, rescan, then only override the types where needed to solve a problem.

If you run into a situation you can't solve then give an example of file names and we will make sure there is a solution.

sorry luke I don't understand what you mean, can you give an example?

I mean remove the content types from the metadata manager, run a scan, then review to see that everything is detected properly. If it is not then report it here.