OT: Need a new smart phone. Opinions?

crashkelly

trooper11

Well this turned from a recommendation thread to an Android hangout/waiting for shipping/rooting thread pretty quickly. :lol:

• Like 1

crashkelly

@@trooper11 totally agree :)

However, recommendations are one thing, but what people are buying is another. I think in the case of the latter the Nexus 5 is winning hands down and I will be seriously looking at it once it is released by my carrier.

Cheers

Edited by crashkelly

CBers

However, recommendations are one thing, but what people are buying is another. I think in the case of the latter the Nexus 5 is winning hands down and I will be seriously looking at it once it is released by my carrier.

Cheers

But you can buy it "unlocked", meaning it will/should work on all carriers.

CBers

Thanks Kelly.

@@Abobader - can you look at this please ??

The only Trakt link I can see is @@swhitmore's one !!

Actually, I think it is trakt.tv, as the Widget page in your profile is displaying the same.

Good day CBers,

It trakt.tv issue, as I click on the link and it say that:

cbers's profile is private

My best

CBers

Good day CBers,

It trakt.tv issue, as I click on the link and it say that:

cbers's profile is private

My best

You can always follow me ;)

Thanks.

trooper11

So have you ordered one @@trooper11?

I haven't picked out a next gen phone yet, I have a lot of new toys to buy this fall and I'll have to wait on a new phone, probably into next year.

Cheers

Yeah, people are definitely buying the Nexus 5. Its a great deal out of contract. But there are some other options as you have seen mentioned that people have also bought.

I think the market is pretty healthy right now for smartphones, good variety and choice.

Tharnax

Update: 

I wasn't too far off the mark.  Telus just released their pricing and availability for the Nexus 5 which mobilesyrup just posted.  Telus outright cost will be $500 and will only make available the black 16GB version.  Discounted price on a two year term will be $99.  The phone will be available through Telus on Nov 8.

crashkelly

@@trooper11

For sure. Definitely looking at a few options at the moment. Other bit I need to check on is keeping my current plan and how I go about that with my carrier. They are offering my certain phones as upgrades but I think if I go outside of those I will have to with a new plan which are way more money for less of everything

Cheers

crashkelly

@@Tharnax

Sorry, I missed the post prior to the one above I am with Telus as at the moment I live sort of in Rural Alberta and service was not great from any other provider.

With $350 from Google there really is no reason to get tied into another contract. Will do my final due diligence and check it out from Google

Thanks again

Tharnax

@@Tharnax

Sorry, I missed the post prior to the one above I am with Telus as at the moment I live sort of in Rural Alberta and service was not great from any other provider.

With $350 from Google there really is no reason to get tied into another contract. Will do my final due diligence and check it out from Google

Thanks again

Nothing wrong with Telus, I've had a them as a carrier previously.  Actually, the company I currently provide service for as an excellent Telus plan, I took a copy of it and used it to negotiate a better plan with Rogers.   ;)

No given the price point of the Nexus there is no reason to get tied into another contract.  I'd only maybe consider it if a Nexus 5 32GB phone was a free upgrade.  Selling you their "$500" 16GB Nexus 5 and then saying we are giving you a deal at $99 is a bunch of BS!  It means if for some reason you have to buy out your contract, you'd have to pay Telus the equivalent of $400 more, which is more then the price of a 16GB Nexus 5 outright even after "Alberta" taxes.

TheRealScottR

I have looked at the 1020 as well, but I am not a big picture taker, although with the crazy weather we get around here maybe I should be. I am interested to see what direction the Nokia line takes now that it is owned my Microsoft.

Cheers

In that case, I'd recomend any of the Lumia 92x phones.  I have the 920, and it still takes great photos (no super zoom like the 1020).  It is heavy, but that doesn't bother me.  I hear the 925 and 928 are lighter.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Lumia 92x series.  There are occaisions where you don't have an app that Android does, and the NFC programming seems a bit more limited.  I love the interface though, and I can usually get what I need done.  I subscribe to XBox Music, and I just love how that works with the windows phones.

crashkelly

@@Tharnax

Agree 100%. Been on a 3 year with Telus and I have nothing negative to say about the service and will continue with them or Koodo regardless if I go contract, tab, or buy the phone outright.

Nothing is coming up yet as an upgrade offer for the Nexus, but I cannot even get into my upgrade page as it is too busy at the moment, maybe that is a good sign :)

Even at $399 for the 32GB that is not crazy to pay to not be on contract

Will keep trying the upgrades :)

Cheers

Tharnax

@@crashkelly - I'm also in Canada, I ordered a 16GB White Nexus 5 on Oct 31 for the wife.  She is currently on the last year of a 3 year contract with Wind and a Nexus S.  I'm just selling the Nexus S for whatever I can get and moving her to the Nexus 5.

Most carriers, based on fact you are in Alberta, I'd guess you are on Telus.  They, like most major CDN carriers allow you to keep your existing plan even if you are eligible for an upgrade.  You just have to watch for any "3-year" discounts which maybe on your plan and expire when the contract is up but other then that, you are not forced to upgrade.  

Also, my understanding from the major carriers is they are pricing the Nexus 5 at about $549 (off-contract) so with a new 2-year contract you are looking at paying about $99-$149 for an upgrade.  With the Nexus 5, you can purchase it out right for as low as $349+ tax.  Based on the $200 discrepancy there is no real benefit to the discount considering you will likely have to renegotiate your plan with your carrier.  Buy the Nexus 5 directly from Google, insert your SIM and off you go!

Personally, IMHO, the Nexus 5 is the best phone available at that price point.  It was a no-brainier purchase for me, just disappointed I wasn't available Thursday afternoon so I'm in the 2-3 week wait period but it's no rush as I was considering giving it as a Christmas gift anyway.

• Like 1

crashkelly

@@TheRealScottR

That one is on my research list as well as I am for sure not a camera guy. I like the windows interface on my wife's phone but I still like the Android one as well. Definitely going to come down to a pros and cons for each os

Cheers