OT: Need a new smart phone. Opinions?

crashkelly

yardameus

I've always loved Nokia phones, and they've seemed to have gotten back into the game lately along with Microsoft.  I'd also say the Nexus 5 is a plus cause it's not locked down.  Nothing beats a good ol' stock phone with no crapware added on.

• Like 1

Nexus 5 has been released.

Just ordered a 32Gb version - £339 plus £10 p&p

Black 32gb ordered too.

It's a steal at that price for essentially a £600+ phone!

CBers

Nexus 5 has been released.

Just ordered a 32Gb version - £339 plus £10 p&p

Had an email last night saying that my Nexus 5 has shipped :D

No, black.

It says it will be dispatched on the 8th November from the warehouse on the play website here in the UK

CBers

It says it will be dispatched on the 8th November from the warehouse on the play website here in the UK

I'm in the UK as well.

Original despatch date was 5th.

Yea I ordered the nexus 5 as well, but i didn't do it until yesterday afternoon so i may end up having to wait a few weeks.

crashkelly

Nexus 5 is listed as "Coming Soon" from my current provider. Will need to keep an eye on it :mellow:

$349 unlocked is quite reasonable. I'll gladly pay that to avoid having to sign a contract. Plus the plan I'll have will be $10 cheaper anyway, so over a two year span it will almost wash out. If they continue with this model i don't think I'll ever do a contract again.

all4dom

I'm wanted the nexus 5, but I'm on Verizon & am paying full price to keep my unlimited data. Thinking of getting the lg g2, but want to see when it will get outlay. I'll twll u this much, mb would look beautiful on a note 3.

gthrift

I wanted to order a nexus 5 so bad but there is nothing wrong with my nexus 4. Maybe the next one or sometime next year.

My mail message said Nexus 5 shipped 10/31/2013 and when ordered it said ship date 11/5/2013 and yes black 32GB one.

Plenty of people are considering leaving Verizon some after 12 years with them because Verizon in its infinite wisdom decided we don't want it. Sprint, T-Mobile & AT&T are the carriers in the US plus their MVNOs. Verizon made a hash out of the Nexus release that they had in the past angered people with their delays to test if the phone is suitable for their network. So even if you buy the Nexus 5 and since Sprint has CDMA technology the phone can operate on VZ's network but if they activate it is another story and oh yeah the LTE band for Verizon is not included in the phone's specs. Sounds to me like VZ and Google are not very close.

Edited by On2Go

CBers

I'm in the UK as well.

Original despatch date was 5th.

My Nexus 5 has arrived :D

Now, how to root it ;)

Mine is on a van on its way to me now!

Not bad as I only ordered it Friday night!

I don't think I'll root mine as the only real advantage is maybe an ad blocker and titanium backup.

• Like 1

CBers

Mine is on a van on its way to me now!

Not bad as I only ordered it Friday night!

I don't think I'll root mine as the only real advantage is maybe an ad blocker and titanium backup.

That's OK if you can stand the ads - I can't :)

I pay for ad-free apps, but block others that won't offer an ad-free app.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Mine has just turned up so will be rooting that and my new Nexus 7 tonight.

Ad Free APK FTW!

Thanks Crest - wasn't there last week when I checked.

Will now put on my Nexus 4, 5, 7 and 10 :)

I think that means we've officially sold our souls to Google!

• Like 1

CBers

Yeah, maybe you're right. Mine has just turned up so will be rooting that and my new Nexus 7 tonight.

Ad Free APK FTW!

I've been using ADFREE for a year, but it seems to have stopped being updated and now it's expired, so I have switched to ADAWAY.

I joined a Nexus 5 forum today.

It's a sister forum to the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 forums that I'm already a member of.

See here: http://www.nexus5forum.com

Edited by CBers