OT: Need a new smart phone. Opinions?

crashkelly

crashkelly

Hi,

So my current contract is pretty much up for my cellphone and I am in the market for a new one. I have been reading up some, but I tend to get lost in the details and everything kind of blurs together.

I am looking at either a Windows phone or an Android one. In general I check\send email, text, surf, but at this point not much else as my current phone is an HTC Desire that is about 3.5 to 4 years old so not capable of running the latest and greatest of anything.

I do want to watch media, MB of course, use it as a remote, use it to start my car, really, and other things that I probably have not thought of yet.

Something like the Galaxy Note is too big, but the Galaxy S4 is just fine size wise, only mentioned those as that is what came to mind, not stuck on Samsung or any other brand really.

I am from Canada so phones offered in the US may or may not be available. That is also the reason my phone is so old as I was on a 3-year contract which thankfully do not exist up here anymore.

nexus 5 is about to be announced in the next day or two and will probably immediately become the top android smart phone.

• Like 2

crashkelly

nexus 5 is about to be announced in the next day or two and will probably immediately become the top android smart phone.

Nice. I still have 2 months left on my contract but they are offering upgrades anytime between now and then.

Cheers

I went from an HTC incredible II to the S4 and love it.  But, they all just keep getting better and better.

• Like 1

crashkelly

I went from an HTC incredible II to the S4 and love it.  But, they all just keep getting better and better.

Thanks for that. S4 is definitely in the running

That is the problem with contracts. Locks you in and very shortly later the next best thing comes out :(

I get the reason behind the contract, but they still suck

Cheers

gthrift

Galaxy S4 or Nexus 5 if you want android.  Nexus 5 definitely if you don't want a contract.  Supposed to be $350 off contract. 

crashkelly

Galaxy S4 or Nexus 5 if you want android.  Nexus 5 definitely if you don't want a contract.  Supposed to be $350 off contract. 

That is a great price. Most of the phones are more than that WITH a contract

Thanks

gthrift

Yeah, it is a great deal.  I have the Nexus 4 now.

Keep in mind that the $350 is USD.  I don't know what the price will be in Canadian or if there will be a mark up.  A quick google search shows that the Nexus 4 was priced the same as the US so it should be similar.

I agree it's worth waiting to see the Nexus 5. I'm a year into a 2 year contract on my Droid RAZR MAXX HD, and love it. Awesome battery life, and in general it just works well and feels good in the hand. I also find the notification light, which is very flexible (via an app) for notifications, so I can see from across the room which email account just got a message or which forum thread got updated. Strong battery and flexible notification light rise very high in my considerations.

Marc

crashkelly

Yeah, it is a great deal.  I have the Nexus 4 now.

Keep in mind that the $350 is USD.  I don't know what the price will be in Canadian or if there will be a mark up.  A quick google search shows that the Nexus 4 was priced the same as the US so it should be similar.

Things have leveled out quite a bit in the last couple of years so here's hoping. Next bit is when a carrier up here will get it.

I agree it's worth waiting to see the Nexus 5. I'm a year into a 2 year contract on my Droid RAZR MAXX HD, and love it. Awesome battery life, and in general it just works well and feels good in the hand. I also find the notification light, which is very flexible (via an app) for notifications, so I can see from across the room which email account just got a message or which forum thread got updated. Strong battery and flexible notification light rise very high in my considerations.

Marc

Thanks for the info. Going to look into the Nexus 5 when the info comes out

Cheers

Logos302

I know most people go for android but, I really like my Samsung ATIV S (Windows Phone).  Course it is just an S3 with some modifications to make it windows centric (IE changed the button to a windows button :D ).  

all4dom

I still have the thunderbolt (don't laugh), but am looking at the Nexus 5 (W/ Kitkat) when it becomes available. The LG G2 looks good, all the latest specs, but not sure when the kitkat upgrade will follow. The Note 3 is beautiful (size) and MB would look the berst on that phone imho. Also, The new Nokia windows phone (I think 1520) is pretty nice also if your a windows guy. The S4 is nice, but Samsung make an announcement about the S5 in January @ CES. Also, keep in mind if you have unlimited data, then you must pay the full price of the phone, but it can be paid in monthly installments. Another thing to remember also is with Black Friday coming up, there should be some great deals if your on a budget.

crashkelly

I know most people go for android but, I really like my Samsung ATIV S (Windows Phone).  Course it is just an S3 with some modifications to make it windows centric (IE changed the button to a windows button :D ).  

I have no issue considering a windows phone. Everything I do with my computers is on a mix of Win 8 or Win 8.1 so getting a Windows phone does make some sense, but the android capabilities and customization possibilities are pretty amazing as well.

This is pretty much right where I end up :huh:

Cheers

crashkelly

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 920 and I've never loved a phone so much  :wub:

Just looked that one up and it looks nice

Hmmm....... 3 computers with Windows 8/8.1, Surface Pro, 3 XBOX 360s, upcoming XBOX One. I think I might really need to dig deeper into the integration of a Windows phone with these devices .....

swhitmore

Just looked that one up and it looks nice

Hmmm....... 3 computers with Windows 8/8.1, Surface Pro, 3 XBOX 360s, upcoming XBOX One. I think I might really need to dig deeper into the integration of a Windows phone with these devices .....

My 920 is a year old now, if you're considering Windows Phone, have a look at the new Nokia Lumia 1020. This is they one I'd get if I needed a new phone.

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

The 1020 is lovely :) If you plan on really using the camera, it's a great phone with a stunning camera, if you're not really much of a camera buff, then I would suggest the 925 (or equivalent on your side of the pond).

• Like 3

CBers

As the Nexus 5 is about to be released, the Nexus 4's may well be reduced in price again, if there are any left.

I've had my Nexus 4 since launch and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Nexus 5.

The misses has an S4 and it is truly a lovely phone (albeit ruined slightly by Samsungs skin).

I will be one of the people hitting F5 like crazy with my browser pointing to the Google Play Devies page as soon as the Nexus 5 is announced!

My current HTC Sensation is slowly dying.

crashkelly

The 1020 is lovely :) If you plan on really using the camera, it's a great phone with a stunning camera, if you're not really much of a camera buff, then I would suggest the 925 (or equivalent on your side of the pond).

I have looked at the 1020 as well, but I am not a big picture taker, although with the crazy weather we get around here maybe I should be. I am interested to see what direction the Nokia line takes now that it is owned my Microsoft.

Cheers

crashkelly

The misses has an S4 and it is truly a lovely phone (albeit ruined slightly by Samsungs skin).

I will be one of the people hitting F5 like crazy with my browser pointing to the Google Play Devies page as soon as the Nexus 5 is announced!

My current HTC Sensation is slowly dying.

My current HTC has been a great phone and is still running strong with no issues, other than being small, not much memory, old OS, ...... It had its time and now it is time for it to retire

trooper11

The Nexus 5 is a great option for Android. You get the clean Android experience without any oem added bs. Not to mention its at a great price out of contract.

For windows phone, I 've had a lot of time using a Nokia 928 and its been a great all around phone. The 1520 is of course the new flagship if your interested in getting the high end specs, but its also on the big side with a 6" screen.

If you want a smaller phone like the Nexus, then there will be the Nokia 929 coming out sometime in November I think. It will have the internals for the 1520, so that means quad core cpu, 2gb of ram, 20mp camera, 1080p, etc, but in a smaller device with a 5" screen.

crashkelly

To wanted to post in and say that I have by no means abandoned this thread, just looking over everything and popping some stuff into Google.

Thanks to all for the posts and the opinions

Cheers