Sharing webclient customisation tips and tricks

rthomas

Maleficarum

the management side of the web interface looks pretty cool dark...

Looks good, I'm not sure about the texture on the buttons though

Edited by Maleficarum

Unreal.2K7

did you change that setting with the server shutdown? that should be all you have to do.

however in the latest dev build it's now exposed in the web interface. see advanced -> developer options

Uhhhh... now that you mention it... i think i overlooked that passage :unsure:  In the hurry i thought it would be enough to reboot.

I now tried to turn it off, change it back to true. Reboot it. The behaviour persisted (obviously).

Then i turned it off again, changed to false, then restarted again. Still though the js provided is not the one i would think.

Did i screw something bad? Do i need to reinstall?

Also: dark theme is amazeing!

Edited by Unreal.2K7

Maleficarum

that's just from the forum compressing the uploaded image

Ah that's good. I'm liking the idea of the dark theme, I'd definetly use it.

We tried the dark on the management side before and got bad reactions.

I, for one, like having the management interface light because it makes it immediately obvious that you are in that interface instead of the other one and I find it much easier to read longer lists of items and text and such on a white background.

Please make it an option if you do it.

• Like 2

Maleficarum

I also still wish there were some visual separation between the sidebar menu and the main area...

I was thinking the same thing, odd how I only really noticed it when looking at the dark image.

+1 for the dark management theme. I am almost always using the management interface in a dark room while others are watching tv and I am halfway watching. Much easier on the eyes to have a dark theme.

• Like 1

wolfbuddy

I, for one, like having the management interface light because it makes it immediately obvious that you are in that interface instead of the other one and I find it much easier to read longer lists of items and text and such on a white background.

Please make it an option if you do it.

Definitely agree with this, especially the first bit.

rthomas

Hello everyone! First of all, thank you for the great work! This software is really an amazing tool for beautyfing our movie libraries! :)

I hope this is the correct place to post this. It's about customization of the web client, and i thought this could belong here. If i'm wrong, please excuse me. I shall create a dedicated thread then.

I love the web client. It's a really handy tool to centralize the experience for every user in the home. Having the ability to customize the web server files is another nice level of customization (even if at this moment we have to do the coding on our own, but i don't mind, more raw power to us!).

Talking about web client customization: i've been trying to modify the script files. My goal is to edit the links in the left menu to point to what i want. Specifically, i want to edit the links for the movies category to point to the whole movie list instead of the "latest" tab and i want to do the same for the tv show category instead of pointing to the reccommended tab.

My intention is to create my own version of the librarybrowser.js file, modifying the getHrefInternal function at the following lines:

return 'movieslatest.html?topParentId=' + item.Id;   ->   return 'movies.html?topParentId=' + item.Id;
return 'tvrecommended.html?topParentId=' + item.Id;   ->   return 'tvshows.html?topParentId=' + item.Id;

I'm using the server version 3.0.5490.2. I've changed the EnableDashboardResponseCaching setting in the system.xml file to False (as pointed out by rthomas earlier) and rebooted.

If i understand correctly this should propagate the customization to everything, which means both the left collapsible menu and the "my views" links.

--------------------

I am facing a problem though: after everything i did, the server is still serving me the old version of librarybrowser.js. I can see that if i inspect the js file that the server provides, those lines are still the unedited ones.

I tried refreshing the page, clearing the cache, i've tried with different browsers from different clients. The server provides the unedited version everywhere.

Am i doing something wrong? I did reboot the server (both the program and the computer itself). Any suggestion on what am i overlooking?

Thank you!

Uhhhh... now that you mention it... i think i overlooked that passage :unsure:  In the hurry i thought it would be enough to reboot.

I now tried to turn it off, change it back to true. Reboot it. The behaviour persisted (obviously).

Then i turned it off again, changed to false, then restarted again. Still though the js provided is not the one i would think.

Did i screw something bad? Do i need to reinstall?

Also: dark theme is amazeing!

Hi Unreal.2K7,

I wonder did you manage to deploy the modified files? I tried your suggested changes in the librarybrowser.js and it works ok. 

I use a second, kind of testing server, and once the modified files are ok, I copy these to the production server.

Maybe you can try to rename the librarybrowser_default.js at first and instead of overwriting this file you replace it with the new modified librarybrowser.js,  

• exit the server or services, so really shut it off (no boot),
  • set EnableDashboardResponseCaching to false
  • rename old file (eg. append default)
  • modify the file and rename it to the official name and put it in the same location
  • set EnableDashboardResponseCaching to true
  • start the server or service
  • optional: reboot the server if caching is persistent

​Success.

Unreal.2K7

Thank you for your response, rthomas! Unfortunately, i am still not able to get the server to serve me the modified files.

More info on my configuration here:

Right now i don't have a production server and a test server. The reason is that i use MediaBrowser to share movies only within my family (3 people) which use it approximately every day after dinner. I have plenty of time during the day when the server is not in use to fiddle with it, and afterall the changes i'm trying to make are so small (two lines in a single file) that i would spend less time reverting the changes (should they break something) rather than having to migrate every change across installation folders and keeping two instances of the server running in sync, server-load-wise aswell.

But i DO keep a backup version of every file i want to edit. This allows me to revert back changes with ease. Again, my current setup is so simple and what i'm trying to do has such a small footprint that this part should not really make a difference though, am i correct?

That said, i've been following your steps but there is something that i fail to understand. Specifically, when you tell me to change EnableDashboardResponseCaching to false, then make the modifications i want, change it back to true, and only then restarting the server; what does that option affect since the MediaBrowser service is stopped? If i understand correctly the server doesn't see any change in the configuration from the moment it's shut down to the moment when it's restarted (because it's the same value). Is there some resident service left behind that watches the system folders even when the server is stopped?

Also, maybe this has nothing to do with my problem, but do i have to use a beta version of the server in order for system folders to actually apply my changes to the web server? Right now i'm using the stable version (3.0.5490.2).

Like with anything relating to IT, the best guess would be to remove and reinstall the server and see if the problem is fixed. I would do this, i'm just worried to loose my configuration/spend too much time setting everything i've managed to customize.

Thanks for your continued support!