68 replies to this topic

#41 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2022 posts
  • Local time: 02:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

The only way I was able to get collections (boxsets) to show up anywhere except in MBC with legacy views was to go into each of my collection folders (the actual hard drive folders) and remove the collection.xml file then either manually (in WebUI) or using Auto Boxsets plugin recreate the boxsets. So it looks like the legacy folder method of defining boxsets is broken except in limited circumstances where special provisions have been made to continue to recognize the legace view system. Had already done this before 5518.7 server version came out so can't say if would have made any difference. 

Try creating a collection in the web ui for any two movies that have not been part of your collections in the past.  If that collection shows up I'd start doing what sasaba describes.  If you can't even get a new collection with two random movies to work then I would hold off until that is figured out.

• ebr likes this

#42 StealthDefender OFFLINE  

StealthDefender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

Try creating a collection in the web ui for any two movies that have not been part of your collections in the past.  If that collection shows up I'd start doing what sasaba describes.  If you can't even get a new collection with two random movies to work then I would hold off until that is figured out.

Ok in this case you are right! when i set a complete new collection (movies they dont have anything to do with another then the collection appear in films.

When i want to create a existing collection (with the boxset tag)this collection would be ignored.

The funny thing on this side is that when i create a manual collection with a bunch of movies this collection would be save on the server as Iron Man Collection [boxset]!!!! :rolleyes: :angry:

What the hell is this! A bad joke from the developers or only to demonstrate their "Uh i am the developer and you have to do what we are say!!!"

In any way this shit makes no sense to ignore the self created [boxset] tag but create the same [boxset] on the server.

This is not listen to the community or something else. Sorry but this is so big bullshit i can´t understand!

Sorry for be a bit pissed of there are some great people in this community, but this case is not the way it could go on and far away from compatible to other systems like Kodi or something else (they use the <set> string in nfo, which is the best way in my opinion.

What should bebetter on  put all my movies without collecting or sorted in folders than the old way. Hm?

Now to see my "allready" created collections, i have to delete them completely and put all my collected movies unsorted in any folder. Then i have to create them with the web ui. No posters or fanarts in the correct movie folder.

I think the way of a good collected media is to have all the information i need in the folder itself. Not on the servers folders!

Greetz Stealth

#43 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2022 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

You certainly do get collection posters, logos, etc., if they exist on TMDB...or you can create your own if you like.  Backup the art you already have and reuse it, whatever you like.  But yes, you clearly will need to follow the documented process of organizing your movies and creating collections since the old method isn't working for you.

#44 Vidman OFFLINE  

Vidman

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2678 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:31 AM

From what you say the new method is more similar to kodi than the old way as the collection is defined in metadata rather than file/folder structure

#45 StealthDefender OFFLINE  

StealthDefender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:52 AM

From what you say the new method is more similar to kodi than the old way as the collection is defined in metadata rather than file/folder structure

In that way you are right, but what i mean is that Kodi save the metadata in the nfo.

MediaBrowser is all Server based. This is not a compatible way in my opinion.

#46 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48192 posts
  • Local time: 05:32 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

In that way you are right, but what i mean is that Kodi save the metadata in the nfo.

MediaBrowser is all Server based. This is not a compatible way in my opinion.

There is no server in Kodi.  But, anyway, this method, in the long run works much better and can be extremely automatic if you are willing to accept the standard definition of the sets (use the auto box set plug-in and it just does it all for you).  And, even if you don't like some of those you can just create those few manually.

#47 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16627 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

I don't understand why grouping only works on collections created by the plugin when the server still sees all the manually created (folder structure) collections.

Example Alex Cross Collection and Alien Collection

54ea27be9103f_collections.jpg

• dchaosblade and StealthDefender like this

#48 StealthDefender OFFLINE  

StealthDefender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

This is what i say since a while :)
@Happy2Play
How do you get the "HD" and "BoxSet" flags on the covers?
Looks great!
Greetz Stealth

#49 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16627 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

This is what i say since a while :)
@Happy2Play
How do you get the "HD" and "BoxSet" flags on the covers?
Looks great!
Greetz Stealth

@StealthDefender

Here are my CoverArt settings.

54ea3c6037abc_Coverart.png

#50 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2022 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

I don't understand why grouping only works on collections created by the plugin when the server still sees all the manually created (folder structure) collections.

Folder based collections appear to work for some people in some cases.  It's a deprecated feature and is no longer documented or tested.  Clearly it's partly broken.  It's my understanding that it will not be looked at.

I recommend anyone using it begin migrating to server-created collections created by hand or with the plugin.

#51 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2464 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

It used to be managed by setting up special folder structure and naming conventions.  That was unpopular and has been retired.

I'm not sure that it's been retired (and I'm not sure it was unpopular either). I'd much rather have my boxsets physically grouped together in the file system. Which is the way I have them all right now - and they still appear correctly in the clients I use.

Edited by AdrianW, 23 February 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#52 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 4384 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

Agee, the boxset way of collecting was not unpopular as mentioned.  I think a lot of us were absent when that poll was sent out :)

Another reason I liked boxsets is because I had the images and metadata for collections local along with my movies.  Now they are on my server in appdata separate from all my movies and other images and metadata files.  However, I moved on awhile ago since boxsets may not be looked at from what I read here and I didn't want to be caught in a situation in the future where it stopped working totally.

The app is good for making things simple though I give it that.

• dchaosblade likes this

#53 Beardyname OFFLINE  

Beardyname

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

The problem with the physical location i feel that it's more locked down than this version which IMHO is better and will continue to be better, that way i don't have to make a bunch of shannanigans when i want a movie to belong in for example more than 1 collection.

However I know that each to his own and until the old one won't officially be supported no more this should perhaps be looked into why it's not working for some and why it does for others :)

• FrostByte, pünktchen and StealthDefender like this

#54 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2022 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

Guys EBR has said this is no longer a documented feature.  That means they haven't made an effort to rip it out but it also isn't tested and if something breaks it it may not be fixed quickly or at all.  I'd suggest moving forward.

If there are things that don't meet your needs about the newer solution raise feature requests to address it.  Having done this both ways, boxsets implemented in metadata only is a LOT easier to manage.

#55 trusselo OFFLINE  

trusselo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Local time: 03:32 PM
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

The problem with the physical location i feel that it's more locked down than this version which IMHO is better and will continue to be better, that way i don't have to make a bunch of shannanigans when i want a movie to belong in for example more than 1 collection.

However I know that each to his own and until the old one won't officially be supported no more this should perhaps be looked into why it's not working for some and why it does for others :)

A movie in more than one collection? wtf? are you sure you wouldnt be better suited to use playlists then?

#56 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 4384 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Not really.  I have several movies in more than one collection.  For instance The God Father movies.  The plugin obviously creates its own collection for all 3 movies and I manually created a collection called "IMdb Top 250" in which I placed the 2 movies from the God Father collection that are in the top 250.  Many other movies from collections are also in the top 250.  I wouldn't want that to be a 250 movie playlist.  Just an example

Edited by FrostByte, 29 March 2015 - 06:48 AM.

• MrWebsmith and bigjohn like this

#57 Beardyname OFFLINE  

Beardyname

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

A movie in more than one collection? wtf? are you sure you wouldnt be better suited to use playlists then?

Frostbyte explained it :)

Also collections can do some cool stuff where i can include movies/tv shows in a collection as well.

• MrWebsmith and bigjohn like this

#58 dchaosblade OFFLINE  

dchaosblade

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:31 AM

Personally I find this rather frustrating.  It's much easier for me to keep things organized in my file system by having movies grouped into folders (e.g. having all the Lord of the Rings movies in a single folder), especially with series whose titles are not the same (James Bond movies, Riddick movies, etc).

It'd be one thing if I could do both, but as it stands, if I have movies grouped into a collections folder in my file system, it seems to break the collections grouping in the movies list.  I add movies to the collections (right click, add to collection), but it still doesn't appear grouped in the movies view.

#59 MndWrp OFFLINE  

MndWrp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I haven't played much with mb3 lately (emby i know) but i just noticed that my collections are also broken because im using the old folder based grouping system. I don't mind manually creating the collections if i have to... but all the artwork and themes that reside in the grouping folder will now have to be linked manually on all those? A lot of work in my case... it used to work perfectly before!

#60 MndWrp OFFLINE  

MndWrp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

I feel collections should have more possibilities not less... they should support artwork, themes, video backdrops, extras and trailers. Now it only supports artwork as i see it? Too bad that used to be a cool feature that drew me here from plex.. (im not going back) but i would have liked to see this feature expanded not diminished in favor of users too lazy to move a few files around.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users